Saturday 19 June 2021

TS 3 Chapter 15

 Chapter 15



Ferdinand von Kleist's diary

December 29th, 2015 

Abu Dhabi 


So here I am; Abu Dhabi. Cecilia nagged me several times to visit Dubai but for obvious reasons I wasn't going to spend my money here. She bitched quite a lot in her passive-aggressive way; “you don't love me”; “I think we could be so happy there”; “Little Cecilia would love to go there” (???? She was three years old! Any sandbox is the same) Bitch, I'm going to watch New Year's Eve fireworks in a seven stars hotel.

I couldn't help to send her a selfie of me and our three bedroom suite at the Emirates Palace. Anyway, the divorce sentence is out. I'll ask the butler if they sell hotel towels and shampoo samples and send her a lovely souvenir box. 

Guntram put on his best face during the flight but I know it was very taxing for him. The doctors did their best to keep him comfortable but living attached to that thing can't be good for your sanity. The medical plane was fine but it was a very long flight. He was taken to the hospital as soon as we landed and doctors decided to let him rest for a day before starting the procedure today. 

I'm concerned about the lad but there isn't much else I can do. He's in best hands and I can only pray. The Argentinian stayed at the hospital with him, waiting for news while Milan and I returned to the hotel. 

It's a twelve hour surgery but I'm confident. If the old Rothschild -who is over a hundred years old and is by his sixth heart-, still lives, Guntram can pull it through. 

I'll phone Konrad once I have the results. He also has a lot on his own with four boys at home. The poor dears were very afraid to leave Guntram but he talked them into going with their father. I do hope the boys soften Konrad's heart and gives the lad a second chance. 

I think they're both in love but they're too stubborn to see it. Both are hurt and behave like pigs.

At least they made their peace and that's a lot. Di Mattei is willing to open negotiations with us pending on the outcome of Guntram's surgery. That boy inherited his father's skills for writing and that's a blessing. He calmed down the Italian in no time. 

The only problem here -besides Guntram's health- is that Arab lurking around. He's not a bad guy and even Konrad respects him but it's impossible that he wants to “move in” with Guntram. 

No way in hell. 

On top, Konrad has granted the Arab free access and now he can play the knight in shinning armour with a camel. Guntram is so idiotic that he will certainly buy it. 

We can't let that happen. I can't let the lad ruin his life like this. He can't ruin his boys' future by throwing everything to the winds. He can't ruin his reputation as a de Lisle by “hanging out” with a Muslim. 

We all voted. What kind of boyfriend would you have for Guntram: Repin or the Sheik? All of us preferred the Russian. 

The Muslim is out of the question. What's next? Is he going to convert to Islam? 

Over my dead body. 

Goran will strangle him before he lets him do something so stupid. Luckily for Guntram, Goran is busy with the smallest baby, teaching him to play the piano. At the moment, it’s for the best to keep him away. So it is up to Ratko, Milan and me to fix this mess. It's better to leave Albert out of the picture because he has enough with his own trouble at home. 

Bloody treacherous women! No matter what Konrad says, Guntram was right; they didn't lift a finger for us. Only Monika. Michael is a lucky bastard. 


* * * 



Guntram de Lisle's diary

December 29th , 2015 

Abu Dhabi 


For the second time in my life I'm in UAE. I don't know if the first one can be counted because I was here for about two hours. This time I flew a private medical jet with Ferdinand and Ratko by my side. It wasn't very comfortable for them and I appreciate the effort. Ratko pouted all the way here and asked me several times if we were sure that my donor is Christian or Atheist. Ferdinand ordered him to be quiet. 

The first surprise when I arrived to the hospital was to find Fedérico in my room. It seems Konrad and he made their peace and he asked him to come over. Fefo left John in Geneva. I was happy to see him but a bit worried about Altair because they didn't get along at all. 

Once I was settled in and told that my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, all doctors and nurses disappeared along with Ferdinand and Ratko who had had enough of the country by then. I guess they went to their hotel. 

“Did Konrad ask you about when we were children?” 

“The coding? Yeah, he did but you know? I'm a pothead. Maybe I forgot it or maybe not. There's only one way to know it.” 

“Fefo,” I chided him. “It's serious. You can give it to him.” 

“And let him read my diary when I was fourteen years old? Do you know how many memorable jerk offs are there?” 

“You're disgusting.” He made me laugh. 

“Only if he kisses and apologizes for being such a prick to the good old Fefo.” 

“He won't give you back the 700 millions.” I told him this time seriously. “Split among associates and relatives. I'm sorry.” 

“I don't care about that. In fact, I loved it. No, he has to be nice and say how clever I am. Look, I have him by the balls right at this moment and this is a moment I plan to enjoy. We're finally bonding, Guti.” 

“One of these days you're going to wake up with a bullet in your head. Tell him if... I'm not here tomorrow.” 

“Not gonna happen because he needs my head and two, the guy died in a car crash but survived the many years of alcohol abuse that come along with the traders job. It's gonna be a top heart for you.” 

He made me laugh. He has a weird sense of humor. It was good to have him around. In a way, he was my only family when my father decided to “kill himself” the first time. 

We talked for a little longer and I don't know how, four hours went by unnoticed. I needed to speak with someone about Constantin and Kostya. Fefo didn't judge me and understood me. 

“Guti, we don't choose who we love. It just happens. Just like shit. If you were happy with him, it's alright. Do what you want and not what you're told to. Learn from the old, selfish Fefo. The world is wide and strange.” 

“May I come in?” There was Altair, standing at my door and I smiled at him. Fefo excused himself and gave me a hug before he left. 

I was nervous to be alone with Altair. I had so many things to tell him that I couldn't make up my mind about where to start. He also looked restrained as he sat next to my bed. 

“I'm so sorry for all the things I said when I shouldn't have.” I finally said when the expectant silent was killing us both. “I owe you my life.” 

“No, you owe me nothing. This is all my fault. I should have known better.” Altair said desperately. “It's been killing me.” 

“No! Don't think this is your fault. It was a coincidence. I've been sick for so many years that I don't even remember when it started.” I told him. “You fought for me when everybody else gave up on me.” 

“I love you,” he told me shyly. “I was an idiot to force you. I placed myself between you and your children.”  

“Altair, don't say that. I took that decision and I don't regret it. I loved you truly but it was impossible for both of us.” 

“Don't you love me? Not even now?” Altair stood up and walked towards the bed, sitting on it and took my right hand between his. It was a good thing that doctors decided to put everything, cables, IV lines, the plug on the left side. I'm even forced to sleep on the right side and nurses think that I'm like a new born who needs pillows to be kept on one side, without rolling. 

“How can I not love you?” I said. “But this is impossible. We come from different worlds and both of them will collide very soon.” 

“It doesn't have to be like that. We can be happy.” 

“Here?” I asked a bit louder than necessary and then lowered my voice. “The law is quite clear about people like us. Konrad won't even set a foot in here.” 

“It isn't like that,” Altair mumbled and squeezed my hand. “But I agree with you. My family wouldn't understand it.” 

“We won't be welcomed in Europe too.” I told him.

“Who said the world ended in Europe or here? We could go some place else. Maybe to that place where you spent your childhood. I always wanted to go there and rise horses. Polo horses.”

“One of my friends in the school moved to Dubai and made a name and a fortune for himself here. In Argentina, you'll get lots and lots of Fefos around you.” I tried to put him out of his silly but wonderful idea. 

“He helped you when nobody else did. He's a good friend. We made our peace.” Altair told me earnestly. “Though he could slow down that temper of his.” 

“Never. It's his signature.” I smiled truly. “I bet no one ever spoke to you like that.” 

“Not even in a British boarding school.” Altair smiled back at me. “Do you say there are many more like him?” 

“More than you can count.” 

“I hear that Patagonia is quite empty.” 

He made me laugh and he squeezed my hand in return. “I still have to leave this place walking on my feet.” I told him. “Is it not too early to make plans?” 

“You don't want to be with me?” 

“Of course I do.” I said without thinking. After Constantin was gone, nothing prevents me from being with him and I'll do it, no matter what Konrad or that bloody Order say. They can sit in their castles and plot the whole day for what I care. If I survive this, I'll take my boys as far from there as I can. 

“Then, let's do it. I'm also fed up with everything. I did all what was required from me but I was never happy until I met you. I'm happy when I think about you or see the drawings you made or read the letters you wrote me.” 

“You settle for little.” I told him shyly. “We never dated or anything else.” 

“We wrote to each other. It was a great joy to receive your e-mails and drawings.” 

“You were a great support for me.” I told him. “I was giddy like a teenager for your letters.” I stopped to take a deep breath. “I don't know if we are going to fit together. We come from different worlds.” 

“We can try. I'm willing to leave everything behind and try. For the sake of my soul. Can't you do the same if you love me?” 

I was silent, thinking. Of course I wanted it but what about everything else? Going back to Argentina and live with him and my boys? No more Konrad and all the creeps around him? No more Order? It was like looking into the pit of the abyss. 

The thought made me drunk with euphoria. 

Yet I was afraid that this would end too soon because we don't fit together. 

It was a great jump. 

“Will you live with a man who has two boys, leaves all his oil tubes around and is a Christian?” I asked. 

“I will love your children with all my heart, you will keep your paints in a wing of the house and I'll eat one of those monster lunches at Christmas.” Altair smiled. “I'll keep my temper in check during Ramadan. The fast doesn't suit well with me.” 

“I'll try to join you or at least not eating in front of you. It's winter at that time of the year in Argentina. I think I can survive it.” 

“We should give ourselves a chance to be happy.” 

“Yes, we should.” I agreed and squeezed his hand again but didn't kiss him as I wanted because I didn't know what was acceptable in his country or what could happen if I did. 

He didn't kiss me either but stayed with me talking about everything until the nurse with my dinner kindly (and fearfully) asked him to leave. 

My head is full of possibilities and hope. I can't even think about the surgery tomorrow and that's strange. I'm more and more dragged towards imagining what my life could be with Altair if we both give up everything. He is a wonderful person -though he has his “prince” days- but he's essentially kind. He makes me happy and I think I can make him happy too. My boys will love him. 

The months with Constantin made me realize I didn't like at all living in Europe. I clung to it because “it was the right thing to do” but I was deeply unhappy, lying to myself and putting up with everything Konrad did. I even covered his own shit and only went away when he killed my father. I can't deny he saved my life but that only makes us even. 

Nothing tides me to him. Not even his children. I surely miss Klaus and Karl but they were never truly mine. My boys will miss them but they'll get over it eventually. What are my other options? I move back to Zurich and have the four boys in my flat on weekdays and Konrad has them on weekends? Christmas with him and New Year with me? Take a flight to... wherever each time I want to see Altair?

It's nonsense. Konrad would start an “Exemplary Punishment” campaign on me for “leaving him” and drive me mad. It's in his nature. A clear, clean divorce is for the best and we keep each others corners of the world. With any luck, he might deepen his affections for Christoph and leave me alone. Ferdinand said they both regularly have dinner together and Christoph has the patience of a Metternich. 

Yes, that would be the best solution for all of us but I don't think it will ever happen just because Konrad doesn't know how to lose. He skipped that lesson in school. And now he comes up with that rubbish about paying me for the years we were married. Once I'm out of here I'll call Margarette Rosenberg, that divorce lawyer my father recommended once. She put him back in his place once. It's insulting that he thinks I can delay my decision because of money. We don't need it. 

It would be good to return to what I knew best. Even if Argentina isn't what I need, I could always go to America. I liked the people when I was in Texas, even under the circumstances.

I'll think about it after tomorrow. 


* * * 


Ferdinand von Kleist's diary

January 2nd, 2016 


As if I didn't have enough with staying in this desert hole, Michael Dähler is here. To offer “moral support” (and scrounge a seven stars hotel stay). The shopping mall is in Dubai, you silly.

Guntram's surgery went well according to the doctors and Wagemann. He phoned Konrad with the results and the poor old man was a bit shocked by Konrad coldness at hearing the news. If everything goes fine and his body accepts the organ, Guntram should be discharged in ten days. 

I also phoned Konrad but he didn't pick up the phone from me. I know it because Monika said he was free and then, she made thousands of excuses to me. I know what's wrong with him. He thinks Guntram kicked him out and is hiding under a rock, renouncing to his natural right to fight for what is his. Idiot!

On top, we have the sheik lurking around like the creep he is. I have zero confidence in Guntram's ability to evade the man. 

Ratko and I have to move fast. 


* * * 


January 4th , 2016 

Abu Dhabi


“Are we sure this place is safe?” Ratko growled as he sat in the Chinese restaurant. A micro soy sauce stain on the tablecloth made him doubt about how good the restaurant would be for his stomach. 

“If we survive the food, yes,” Michael joked jovially. “Alexei told me about it. Russians are always here.” 

“Don't we have any other places?” Ferdinand grimaced at the greasy smell coming from three spring rolls left by the waitress. “This isn't Europe and who knows when was the last time the health inspector ate here.” 

“Russians eat here.” Michael sounded upset with the typical of two soldiers kind of questioning. 'Typical of them: prissy till the end, unlike we, sailors.' 

“That isn't a real guarantee and you know it.” Ferdinand shook his head. “I remember when I was in Moscow in 1990...” 

“Ferdinand, enough,” Ratko said and Ferdinand frowned at his tone. “I carry Goran's authority in this.” 

“The noodles taste very good.” Michael shrugged as he continued to eat from his golden brown dish. “Do you know what is this?” he showed a laminated kind of mushroom to the men. “Never mind,” he mumbled when his friends shook his head and ate it. 

“The thing is that we have to get Guntram back to Zurich and the duke might agree to send the children to London. He's moving out with that Arab and we have to do something about it.” Ratko summarized the problem. “Goran is upset.”   

“Guntram's thinking about it.” Ferdinand intervened quickly. “It's quite annoying, actually.” 

“The duke has given up.” Michael said and poured some more oyster sauce over the stir fry noodles. 

“But we don't, gentlemen,” growled Ratko. “Something needs to be done.” 

“Good luck trying to convince Guntram otherwise,” Ferdinand mumbled and drank from his mineral water. “He's in a euphoria phase, seeing the world in pink and honestly, I never thought that these things, heart transplants could have such a dramatic recover. Two days after it, he's talking and walking. I thought he would be more... bedridden.” 

“Well, imagine if your motor engine was running at a quarter capability and you get a new carburetor and a good clean of the pipes,” Michael commented. “I was expecting something of the sort, therefore I spoke with Alexei and we will meet some of his friends today. Goran thinks it's a good riddance too.” 

“Isn't that a bit too much?” Ferdinand asked horrified. 

“Not for him!” Michael sighed, utterly tired with Ferdinand's slowness for many things. It had been his suggestion in the first place and now, he couldn't remember it? “We have to get the boy out of the country, alone, no camels tagged to his tail, and then, and only then, act. Alexei says he has enough of the mess but somebody in Moscow owns us a favor or two.” He explained in a teacher-like tone.

“This sounds like three favors,” Ratko huffed. “Do we have so much credit?” 

“We do, thanks to somebody blowing up a Russian tourist plane.” 

“The sheik has nothing to do with that.” Ferdinand shook his head. “The fucker is a decent business man.” 

“And forget about telling that he's gay. Half of them here do it and turn a blind eye.” Ratko huffed becoming more incensed than before. “It's disgusting!” 

“You never had problems with that before.” Michael asked amused. “Your date didn't go as planned?” 

“You're dead, Dähler.” Ratio growled and Ferdinand looked at him curiously. “One of the camel herders made a pass on me. I'm married and over forty!” 

“Maybe he liked grandpas,” Michael snickered. “You smell so good, Ratko.” 

“Mirjana gave me that perfume,” Ratko whispered incensed.

“We still have to solve the problem.” For Ferdinand it was hard to keep his own smile under control at the mental image of any man hitting on Ratko. It was unthinkable. 

“Some of his relatives have been linked to illegal activities in Syria.” Michael said with an even voice as he stole Ferdinand's spring roll from his dish and ate it. “Alexei's contact says that about thirty princes are taking a hunting trip to the Iraqi border in thirty days. It's a family thing he can't miss. That's our window of opportunity.” 

“Will the Russians do it?” 

“Not the Russians,” Michael replied with a smirk. “Too risky for them. Chechens.” 

“Chechens?” Ferdinand asked in shock. “They're on the camel riders' side.” 

“With Russian support,” Michael smiled cunningly. “Do you remember Klatschko? He seems to think that the sheik had something to do with Repin's demise.” 

“I wonder why,” Ratko smiled evilly. 

“Klatschko's been talking to his people in Russia. Kadyrov's best friend is our best friend too and he wants revenge for those two planes too. He can't go against Saudi noblemen just like that, but ISIS can.”

“Are the dogs going to bite the hands that feed them?” Ferdinand asked with a smirk. “Nobody is going to believe it.” 

“Probably but it's a golden opportunity for them. Klatschko and his people can do Putin's dirty work, the Saudis get a real warning and Kadyrov looks good down at the Kremlin.” 

“The sheik isn't a Saudi.” 

“But his late wife was. He has to go to the falcon hunting party. Out of respect.” Michael said. “You, Ferdinand have to convince Guntram that the best for his future relationship is that his “boyfriend” keeps a good relationship with his former wife's family. He's been invited to the party but maybe loverboy wants to follow Guntram like a puppy.” 

“And you know this from?” 

“Alexei and don't ask me how he knows it. I guess he's friends with the sheik's unofficial boyfriend.” Michael told embarrassed. “What? When Guntram was sick, the duke was dating that snake of Stefania and you know it. Out of sight..., Michael trailed. “Alexei also arranged this meeting with one of his former pals.” 

“Good old Alexei. For a second I thought he had panicked.” Ferdinand giggled. 

“He did after one of the boys smeared him with a chocolate ice cream.” Ratko smirked. “Twenty-four hours away from them and he's back to his old self. He isn't ready for parenthood.” 

“You tell me. You should have seen his face back in the zoo,” Ferdinand chortled. 

“I saw it when I gave him the car keys. He was still in shock.” Ratko gloated. “I should have asked him to be our baby sitter.” 

All the men exchanged amused glances and returned to their food and ate in silence until a man in his fifties sat at their table. 

“Piotr Vladimirovich,” Ratko greeted the man when he recognized him and put his napkin over the table. 'Alexei's always doing business with friends.' 

“Cousin Ratko.” The man patted vigorously Ratko's back and slid his hand under Michael's napkin to take a memory card hidden beneath it. With a broad grim he quickly hid it in his cuff. “How's Mirjana?” 

“She's doing great, visiting relatives and would like to know if you'd visit us at the end of the month.” Ratko replied in Russian. 

“Of course we will,” the man smiled again and patted his back three times. “Enjoying your stay?” he asked in English to Ferdinand. 

“Very much. A bit expensive but affordable.” Ferdinand replied. “We might hire one of those tours to the desert. To see the falcons and all.” 

“You should. It's very nice at this time of the year and the birds are magnificent. I'm taking a few relatives of mine from Grozny to see it in a month's time. It's something you can't miss.” 

“We take your word.” Ferdinand smiled and offered his right hand to the man. 

“You won't regret it.” The Russian shook Ferdinand's hand and rose from the table. “Nice to see you, Ratko.” 

“Send my greetings to your brothers.” Ratko patted the man on the arm and watched the Russian go away before he turned around and asked for the bill. There was enough on that chip to pay for the Russian's lunch too. 

“You will only have to persuade Guntram to go back to Zurich and send the sheik to the camping trip, Ferdinand.” Michael repeated. “Play the father.” 

“And you, what are you going to do?” 

“I'll keep the gaucho away, not that he starts putting some romantic notions into Guntram's head.” Michael replied. “Ratko will visit his cousins. We must leave in six days as agreed. Is that clear?” 

“Very well.” Ferdinand said. 

“Private plane. Ours,” Ratko said seriously. “Push the lad inside it if you must.” 

“No problem for me.” Ferdinand said. “Are we set then?” 

“We are,” replied Ratko. 


* * * 


January 5th. 2016


“You look so well now.” Altair said with a smile when he saw Guntram sitting at the small desk, working with his iPad, and dressed with normal pyjamas and a blue robe de chambre. “Shouldn't you be in bed?” 

“No, I can walk around.” Guntram smiled at Altair when he sat next to him. “Just finishing a few e-mails to my lawyer and... François’ lawyers in New Zealand.” 

“I never saw you so active before.” 

“It's been a long time since I’ve felt so well,” Guntram replied. “Normally it was like, oh, I have to start to do this and now it's like is there anything else to be done? I never thought I wouldn't be taking beta blockers, but I'm only on that thing against rejections and heparin.” 

“It's very good to hear that.” 

“What about you? How are you?” 

“Fine. That German friends of yours didn't push me down the stairs when he saw me yesterday. Maybe one day, I'll ask him over for dinner.” 

“Don't worry about Ferdinand. He's Konrad's best friend and is very upset with me for the divorce.” Guntram briefly touched Altair's arm and smiled embarrassed. “I spoke with my boys on Skype. They're all fine.” 

“I see,” Altair mumbled. 

“It's OK. I agreed with Konrad -through the lawyers,- that I will fly back to London and pick up my sons from his house there.” 

“You can use my own house in London. I assume you don't want to stay at his house.” 

“I'll go to a hotel or rent something.” Guntram shook his head. “I don't want to take the boys to your house now. Let them be with me for a while and then, you can meet with them.” 

“That's sensible.” Altair wasn't happy at all with the arrangements. 

“Altair, it's only for a few days or weeks. I need to sort out things and visit some people in London. As François' will executioner I have to see his lawyers and set up some bank accounts for the boys. And I have to check some of my father's business too,” Guntram sighed. “I'll rent something in Buenos Aires and move there in a month.” 

“How's Lintorff taking it?” 

“I don't know,” Guntram said earnestly. “He's not granting me the divorce under any circumstance or that's what he told Margarette, my lawyer. He'll take the boys to London because he has no choice, but probably will force me to stay longer in the EU because of the boys' custody. She's still planning what to do.” 

“There's something I have to tell you,” Altair sighed and Guntram frowned. “No, it isn't bad at all,” he quickly added and went to look for two bottles of mineral water and served Guntram. 

“If I need a glass of water, it's certainly bad,” Guntram forced a smile to lower the hardship of his words. 

“No, no. It isn't bad at all.” Altair repeated. “It's a bit embarrassing to discuss such matters with you.” 

“Say it as straightforwardly as you can,” Guntram said softly. “I'll deny everything.” 

“It's regarding your... former husband.” 

“What did he do this time?” Guntram sighed. 'Typical Konrad. Can't stay put for a minute.' 

“No, no.” Altair drank his water nervously and coughed. “It's regarding... the hospital bill.” 

“I totally forgot it. I'll tell the nurse to send someone from accounting and set up the transfers.” Guntram said very embarrassed. 

“Oh, no it isn't that.” Altair said. “We had an agreement but he isn't complying with its terms. He said he would take care of the bills in New Zealand and the plane and I'd see to whatever may arise here. Now, I found out this morning that he has already made a substantial money transfer for your expenses here. You're my guest and I feel quite insulted by his actions.” 

“I had no idea,” Guntram mumbled blushing as he felt a heat wave going through his body. “None of you should do any of this. I'll speak with Konrad's lawyers and pay everything by myself.” 

“No, no!” Altair said. “You're my guest. I'd feel very bad if you do that.” 

“Altair. I have a medical insurance policy, enough money as to pay for all this and you shouldn't pay a cent for me. I'm eternally grateful to you for helping me to find this chance.” 

“Guntram, let me pay it. Who knows how much money the lawyers will cost you.” Altair said and took Guntram's hand between his. “It's always embarrassing to speak about money.” 

“Altair, please. I should do it. Oblige me in this.” Guntram smiled. “It's the first time I hear a businessman feeling bad about talking about money. How do you make an offer then?” 

“In the old times you, among your people, would write your offer in a piece of paper and then, the seller would accept it or not by shaking your hand. Speaking about money wasn't a sign of good breed.” Altair said with a smile. “The gold market still works like that.” 

“I was always told to cut the price by half if I went to the souk.” 

“Only by half?” Altair shook his head slowly. “You will not visiting souks anytime soon.”

Guntram smiled in reply. “This is why I have a greedy manager. I'm not very good at negotiations.” 

“You forced me to change my offer for the building several times. I'm still after it.” 

“You won't move Konrad from his place. His father sat there, his grandfather visited it and his children will sit there too. He has inherited his father's china service for the bank.” Guntram shook his head. “I'll speak with his lawyers.” 

“Guntram, I don't want to cause you more troubles with him but his attitude worries me.” Altair caressed Guntram's hand. 

“He feels... responsible for me.” Guntram chose the words carefully. “He's probably still thinking that I'm still married to him, therefore it's his duty to pay for it. He didn't mean any lack of respect towards you.” 

“Why don't you speak with him?” 

“Because he doesn't pick up the phone from me. I've spoken with my boys on Skype, with my cousin Eberhard (who's their tutor) but with  him? No. He severed all ties to me.” 

“Do you have a cousin?” 

“We wrote a book together. Sort of.” Guntram smiled. “And a grandfather, sort of. Udo Guttenberg Sachsen is my grandmother's brother and he's been very kind to me.” 

“I hope my presence doesn't hinder your relationship with your family.” 

“With Udo?” Guntram laughed. “His granddaughter married a Saudi and converted to Islam. You'll need to do more than that to shake him. Say nothing bad about his vineyards and you'll be fine.” 

“You have... brothers and sisters in your family?” Altair asked in shock. 

“That's the hippie branch of the family tree.” Guntram said. “Kostya plays the piano like my grandmother did.” 

“When will you be released?” Altair asked. 

“ In two or three days more.” 

“You should come to my house and I’ll show you my country.” 

“I was thinking to go to the hotel with Ferdinand and the others and take the plane on the next day.” 

“You're convalescent from a serious surgery!” Altair protested. “You can't do that, my love.” 

“I can't stay at your house either. My presence could cause problems within your family and honestly, it would be an insult to your customs. You can talk to them from a distance.” 

“Guntram, I don't want to deny you.” 

“You won't be denying me.” Guntram said softly. “I know you love me but don't create a rift with your family, please. We can meet in London and think what we want to do later.” 

“I don't want you to go away. Not like this.” 

“I'd love to stay for longer but I need to get my boys back. I don't want them to stay for so long with Konrad. If I stay here longer, he might cause trouble to me. Each minute I don't check what he's up to, he gains momentum to whatever he's planning to do this time. He's being too “nice” to me at the moment and that worries me.” 

“He treats you like an asset. Why do you put up with this?” 

“I don't want to fight with him until he has signed the papers and my boys are under my sole care. Maybe he already filed for custody and some judge doesn't let me take them out of Switzerland. I still don't know why he agreed so easily -if he really did it because I only have his lawyers words on that- to take them to London. Konrad loves to play dirty, just like with the hospital bills. He does it to look well in front of my eyes, or make me feel guilty or who knows why.” 

“I understand.” 

“I'm so sorry but I need to go back to Zurich as soon as I can. I've spoken with Ferdinand and he will arrange everything. I always wanted to see the desert at night but I don't want to enrage my friends. Dating you is a provocation as they're Konrad's friends too. I need to have a clean divorce before I can be with you.” Guntram looked at the abated Altair and felt very guilty for causing him such pain. He extended his hand and lightly stroke Altair's back of the hand and smiled encouragingly. “It won't be long.” 

“There's nothing like the desert.” Altair said dreamingly as he recovered from the blow to his hopes. “The stars and the moon. There's a silence that surrounds you like a presence. It's something you can physically feel.”

“Do you go often?” 

“Several times a year when I'm not traveling.” Altair smiled shyly. “Maybe this is the time to say I'm not disco friendly. I don't like being around much people. Unfortunately, business meetings can last up to 1 a.m in here. It drives me on the edge to get a phone call in the middle of something and you just have to take it and speak because it's someone from your family. Family is everything here. You must comply with what they want or you're out and the consequences can be hard on you.” 

“Do you have a large family?” 

“Six brothers, three sisters, all married with children. Cousins by the hundred and more aunts and uncles than I can count. It's embarrassing when their names slip from my mind.”

“Google calendar is your mate.” Guntram joked. 

“Do you know what happened one Eid?” Altair said. “I was supposed to take care of the presents of some twenty children between nephews and cousins of mine. I had to travel during Ramadan and forgot the names list at home. I couldn't remember how many boys or girls I had and forgot about their ages.” 

“No secretary at hand?” 

“None because I had really lost the paper and it was quite embarrassing to phone my mother or her sisters to ask for it.” 

“What did you do?” 

“They all got the same Lady Godiva's chocolate box. Children love chocolate, don’t they? They're halal too.” 

“So you survived it.” 

“Actually no. Half of my list were babies and I've gotten them because my mother thought I would order the same teddy bears for all of them and it would be easier for me.”

“Your stocks really suffered that night.” Guntram said amused. 

“I've done worse than that. My family prefers me taking care of business than family matters. It's much easier.” 

The call to prayers softly sounded across the closed door. “It's the Adhan. You must go now.” Guntram interrupted Altair's tale. “Will I see you tomorrow?” 

“Yes, you will.” Altair bent down and placed three kisses in Guntram's cheeks, making him blush beyond red. 

“Are you nuts?” Guntram asked horrified. “Somebody could see us.” 

“That's the traditional way two men can greet here. I can walk holding hands with another man. I would be in trouble if I do that with a woman who isn't my wife or a close relative.” 

“Can we walk hand in hand in the streets?” Guntram asked skeptically. 

“If you were Arab yes, it's quite common and means nothing.” Altair replied amused. “We aren't such monsters and why do you always think the worst about people in the Middle East?” 

“If you say so,” Guntram answered, unsure about what he should think. “On the street, hand by hand?” 

“I'll get you a bottle of bourbon tomorrow. I have a Scottish aide who can buy it.” Altair joked. 

“No, thanks. I'm not up for the liver transplant.”

“Don't believe all the stories you read about us. That's why I want you to see my country with me.” 

“I will do it once I have my boys back. I promise. My family's holiest object was protected and given to us by a Muslim man; the Vizier of Cairo in the XI century.”

“What was it?” Altair asked curiously. 

“I'll tell you later,” Guntram smiled tiredly. “It's in Bari now. Not even Konrad knows about it. You saw me when I was bringing it there. Maybe it was a sign from God. Just you know about it in case something happens to me and keep it for my boys. Fedérico knows what it is.”

“It's an honor that you share this secret with me.” 

“I do trust you.” Guntram said emphatically. “I know you will respect it because one of your people took care of it long before we had it and I also know that you will respect my wishes on this and look for it only if it is necessary.” Guntram said seriously. “You are a good man, Altair. Go now.” 

15 comments:

  1. I like your stories but you are so racist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows that you don't catch the difference between the author and her characters.

      Delete
    2. We Russians do not consider ourselves worse than others, so we do not look for racism everywhere.

      Delete
    3. From the beginning of the story most of the characters are racist (with questioning moral values), i think it because they don't like people who are not like them (Elite) or their circle. Imho, Tionne portrays the characters very well, because in reality those elite thinks they are better and above common people.

      Delete
    4. This comment is very ignorant. You should remove it.

      Delete
    5. Tionne simply portrays the world as it is. That's what makes her lyrics so interesting. Most people care more about their own group, and that's fine. This is not racism, but common sense.

      Delete
    6. Likr I said, I love the stories and understand the story is like that for the elite and most people who prefer to stick to their own kind However, that is one thing. the other thing is to make it so that the other people are not worthy or as important or stupid or less than just because they are not like you or worship a different god. Nothing wronf with sticking to your kind, it is when you feel you are better or superior than others and feel to impose it on others or to judge them that makes iy racist. That line is blurred for Tionne's work and I am sute she might be a nice person, but this is about the book and the message it sends. It is noy a literary book or philosophical debate. It simply comes down to The Russian was better because blah blah blah Putin. Konrad is the best because the order and Christ and blah Europe. The Arab guy is shite because he is a Muslim and all that. Consider Russia is far deadlier to gays than Muslim countries and so on. Sure, it is that worls but it is the world that calls and moves from the novel world to talking of Obama and Putin. Here, we might live precariously racist through them, but unless you are racist, you know that you can't lump a whole religion or people as good or bad just because... Delete ny comment if it serves to keep the illusion of the escapism and safe heaven you want witg Guti and Konrad. But the bad man gave him a heart and did not kidnap him and kill a whole estate in Argentina (book 2); or medically rape him to get his children and genes... but now, after all that, we are told he is good because; well; compared to the Arab man, he is preferrable. To use the expression: Bitch, please!

      Delete
    7. I didn't notice that she painted the Russians as angels. The text contains only the opinions of its characters. And Tionne is unbiased, she shows both the good and bad traits of different characters. This applies to everyone, without distinction, no one is painted only with white or black paint.

      Delete
    8. Grace, you wrote : "but the bad man gave him a heart and did not kidnap him and kill a whole estate in Argentina (book 2); or medically rape him to get his children and genes... but now, after all that, we are told he is good because; well; compared to the Arab man, he is preferrable".

      This is what the characters say, not the author, so it is absurd to make claims to the author. And we need take into account who these characters are. Guntram doesn't say anything like that.

      Delete
    9. Whatever inclinations of the author, I drew my judgement on the issue based on the character. The problem is that before TSIII, we had a glimpse of the outside (real) world. However, this came out based on the character and in context. For example, visiting a city or the church for the Christmas mass in France in book one or even the financial meltdown inbook two, it was in context... not something thrown in there and the reader expected to use their understanding of the real life person to agree with the writer. My three examples: we are told that Europe was getting destroyed or invaded by the niggers and that was bad unlike say Putin's policy. Or that Obama's policy or FBI was bad and so could not be trusted. Or that this restaurant was bad and dirty because it is in a Muslim/Arab country. As if we all must be aware of the ongoings in those countries and those presidents to understand why one is good and the other is bad. Now, readinf it with people who are not politcally inclined or who were not expectinf a cold splash of reality based on a 'fantasy' or fiction, then the writer expects us all to travel outside the book, gather our own prejudice and then return to the book -mentally - to first of all understand what she meant and also to agree with her. In contrast, pointing out an issue and how a certain leader or persona has handled it then making us understand - from the perspective of the character - why we should support Putin and hate Obama and not call for the Arab union, then we all arrive at the same place and reasoning as Guti or Konrad or anyone else. Right now, it is not the case and the burdeb is for us to be both racially biased and policy informed. To be honest, I was curios why a serious MM book would highlight the plight of gays in Saudi and... Gosh I am not sure why I need to defend ny perception of the book and my gut reaction. This is a place for beta reads or somethibf simular, no? That ia how I felt and as a loyal fan, I felt it fell short of a few explanations. Take it or leave it.

      Delete
    10. Grace of course you don't need defend your perception of the book - you only was asked not to label the author.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Tionne! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guntram is in his euphoria phase whereas old pals from Orden plot yet another rescue mission.
    Tionne thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope guntram wont endup like Diana and Dodi, **fingers cross**

    ReplyDelete