Saturday 22 May 2021

TS 3 Chapter 13

 Chapter 13



Ferdinand's von Kleist diary

December 1st, 2015


I'm beaten up. I don't remember ever having a day with so many surprises. Konrad managed things very well the police inspector and she seemed to be mesmerized by meeting “royalty” (and there's no reason why we should get her out of her mistake). Konrad put on his best mourning face and lamented “poor François horrid crime” and complained about the “help” nowadays. 

“He shouldn't have given holidays to his own staff.” And the best one: “Of course we knew each other from before. When Guntram and I took some time off, he came here to paint. There were no hard feelings between us. François bought many paintings from Guntram in the past, so it's logical they were together.”

“No, we didn't file for the divorce because we were thinking about our relationship. We took some time off.” 

She bought it because I think she had had enough with the case. Bumping into your superiors every time you want to question someone must be a bitch. In a way, I sympathize with her predicament.  

We went to the hospital and met doctor Mc. Carthy; a sensible fellow looking like a scarecrow. He informed us that Guntram's condition had deteriorated and that we needed to make a decision because all their efforts to find a suitable donor had been fruitless. 

“May I see him?” Konrad asked the doctor. “I know this is a very bad time.” 

“I'll tell a nurse to take you upstairs.” The doctor said and probably he was only wanting to go home because it was already 8 p.m. “I've spoken with Dr. van Horn on the phone and maybe this option would be for the best. It's worth trying it.” 

“Guntram would never want it. It's... I don't know.” Konrad hesitated and I wanted to smash something against his head. 

“An artificial heart is a temporary solution.” I told Konrad. “You know what is the other option.” Christ! Forget about those papers he signed! We all are heroes till we meet death face to face. 

“Guntram always opposed to this.” Konrad shook his head. 

He can't be that stubborn! Take the chance and see what happens next. He can't be so childish as to be still mad at Guntram! Let your grievances go for a while, do the right thing and then, fight with him. Besides, we have the children's issue still going on. If Guntram dies, who's going to take care of them?

It was my time to play dirty with him. A Guilt Trip was always working with Konrad. I mean, he was always giving me his sandwich in school if I made puppy eyes and complained about the bad food we, poor wards, had to suffer, away from homely warmth. 

“Wouldn't you want to have the opportunity to say goodbye to your kids if you could? Guntram couldn't do it.” I asked and Konrad only nodded at me. Mission accomplished. If not, this prick of a friend would have let Guntram to fend for himself.  

We went to the eight floor and waited for a nurse to take Konrad to the ICU. I waited for him outside for a very long time. 


* * * 



December 1st, 2015

Auckland


“Hello Guntram.” Konrad said softly to the sleeping form of his husband. It took him some instants to recover himself from the shock of seeing his Guntram covered and surrounded by so many cables and lines. The sound of the respirator hurt his ears and Konrad could hear even the soft whoosh of his own blood going through his head. 

“I know I’m the last person you want to see.” Konrad felt embarrassed. “But this is what we have,” he added shyly. “I met Kostya today and he's a wonderful child, just like his brother. He looks very much like you and told me that you taught him to play the piano. We were in the zoo today.” 

Konrad felt a bit less unease to speak to an unresponsive person and sat on the chair next to Guntram's bed. The compassionate nurse had encouraged him to speak because some patients were able to listen while they were in a coma but Konrad felt the same warring emotions he had felt when he had seen his father after the final stroke. 

The person in front of him was gone but he would do what was expected of him because it was his way. He had fulfilled his father's last wish and followed his instructions to the letter. It would be the same with Guntram for the sake of the love they've once shared. Guntram had walked away from him but it didn't mean his obligations towards him were over. 

Konrad cleared his throat. “I need to make a decision that goes against all what you wanted in life. We spoke about it many times and you told me that you didn't want your life to be extended by artificial means or at the expense of others. I agreed with you but here I am, with our history of disagreements and bad blood between us, forced to make the choice for you.” 

“I won't deny that I'm furious with you and if it were by me, I wouldn't speak to you ever again. You hurt me and my boys and I don't care about your reasons. When I was called here, my first impulse was to hang up the phone because no matter how much I love you, you're no part of my life anymore. However, there’s two little boys' wellbeing at stake. If you die, I don't know what’s going to happen to Kostya.” 

“You can't hate me more than what you do already.” Konrad took a deep breath in. “So, I'm going to do what is best for the children and I don't give a damn if you yell afterwards. There's a slim chance that you survive the surgery but for those boys' sake, I need you conscious and speaking to sign all the required papers to take them home. I see no other way out than this surgery which may well kill you but things don't either look good now. I swear that I will look after your children and raise them as if they were mine, so help me God.”  

“Hate me all what you want but start fighting again for your children's sake.” 


* * * 


Ferdinand von Kleist's diary (cont.)


Just when I was through my fourth or fifth snack from that vending machine, a man I didn't know stood close to me. I know I shouldn't eat that much rubbish but I was nervous and took another one and went back to seat in one of those super comfortable plastic chairs. 

“Excuse me,” someone told me. He looked Asian as in Arab and spoke English with that “upper lip stiff” tone that grates my nerves so much. “Are you Guntram de Lisle's family?” 

“Friend.” 

“My name is Altair bin....” and there I lost track of his words. That was the (in)famous Altair. Three things went through my mind. 1. If Konrad sees him, he strangles him. 2. Why don't I save my friend the work? 3. What was Guntram thinking when he spoke to him the first time? Doesn't he know the rules? That hippy father of his.

“How is his condition?” he asked me and I couldn't help to snort. 

“Worse.” 

“I've been trying to speak with his doctors but they won't see me.” 

Good for them. Go back to Dubai. No, it's Abu Dhabi. Don't you have something to do there? 

“I pulled some strings and included Guntram's data in our own transplant programs,” he told me and I gaped at him. Aren't they “Muslims only”? 

“Thank you for your trouble.” I said coldly. 

“I was finally able to speak with one of the... junior doctors,” the Altair dude told me and I know that somebody has a new Ferrari at home. “He or she told me that they had been considering a total artificial heart by Syncardia. It would help him to recover his conscience and give us more time. Unfortunately, he signed an order against the procedure.” 

“Sir, this is something for the family to discuss in private.” I said. 

“There might be a donor in Abu Dhabi,” the guy told me without bating an eyelash, just as if you order a coffee. “An oil trader who suffered a terrible car accident. The family is willing to wait for us but I don't have any means to speak with this hospital's board.” 

“Do you have a donor?” Those were amazing news. 

“The donor is in life support but we don't know for how long. The family has already given the order to disconnect him.” 

“Anyway, Guntram can't travel there and you can't bring the organ here. It's too far away.” 

“Can you please tell the duke about it? Here is my card.” I got the guy's private number. “Tell him to call me at any time.” 

He turned around and walked away, making me feel like a junior secretary. 


* * * 


December 1st. 2015

Auckland


The small white cream card burned between his fingers. Konrad didn't know what to do. Should he speak with the enemy? Should he not and perhaps leave Guntram to die? He was well aware that the artificial heart was a temporary solution, a way to win time over until a donor could be found. 

What if a donor was never found? 

Konrad overheard the two children talking to each other in Russian, playing with a monstrous robot and a dirty plush frog, and his heart cringed. He couldn't leave the boys orphans or trust his own resources regarding the matter. 

Konrad dialed the number. 

“Good afternoon. My name is Konrad von Lintorff.” Konrad said with a single breath. 

“My name is Altair Al Madani. We weren't properly introduced.” Altair answered with poise. “I wanted to speak with you regarding a mutual friend of us.” 

Konrad's anger threatened to flare to life but he was able to bit his lips on time. “Indeed,” he said. “I understand you have taken a great interest in his health.” 

“There has been an unfortunate car accident in my own country and the victim happens to be over 87% compatible with Guntram. It's an opportunity we can't pass and we must act before the donor's condition further deteriorates. We don't have much time.” 

“How can you be so certain? Guntram has never visited Abu Dhabi.” Konrad was now officially furious as the man had dared to give him an order. 

“Guntram allowed me to enter his data in our health system. The Cleveland Heart Clinic is one of the best in its field. Worldwide. They're ready to perform the surgery as soon as Guntram arrives.” 

“I'm afraid this is not a feasible solution.” Konrad said. “Guntram is in no shape for traveling.” 

“I understand that he could be fitted with an artificial heart and that would buy us some time.” Altair suggested. “Alas Guntram signed against it. Only you can overturn that order.” 

“He's been scheduled for that surgery tonight.” Konrad answered curtly and heard Altair sigh with utter relief. “There are no guarantees that he will survive it.” 

“Would you please tell me the results and your decision?” Altair asked softly. 

Konrad bit his lips. The last thing he wanted was to speak with this man again. He had destroyed his family and even now he was even trying to take Guntram away from him. He would not even let him bury his body alone.

“Please,” Altair pleaded with him. “I only want the best for him and this is a chance we can't miss. It's a godsend.” 

“Very well,” Konrad agreed. “We'll speak later.” 

“I truly want the best for Guntram, regardless of the future.” Altair said. “In fact, he ended our relationship before he fell ill. He preferred his children over me.” 

“That's what any sensible man would do, sir.” Konrad replied slowly. “Guntram was always very family orientated. His children will always come first.” 

“It was my fault too.” Altair confessed. “I pressed him too much. I really want to mend things with your family. I consider his sickness to be my fault. I was arguing with him when he got sick. In front of his children. I need to do all what is in my hand to compensate those boys. I can't let him die.” 

“I wasn't aware of that.” Konrad answered softly. “We don't know what is going to happen.” 

“Let me help him. I beg you. For his children.” 

“I will consider your offer, Mr. Al Madani. Thank you.” Konrad hung up the phone as he was mentally on the limit of his endurance.

“Ferdinand!” He inappropriately yelled and his friend opened the door. 

“We left school years ago,” Ferdinand slightly reprimanded Konrad. “No need to yell at me. At least, no in front of the children. I have enough with being considered less than zero with that hellish robot taking over my job.” 

“I'm sorry,” Konrad sighed. “I don't know what I'm doing. Please sit down.” 

Ferdinand took the chair in front of Konrad's desk and waited for his friend to speak. He didn't want to rush things. The dark circles around Konrad's eyes and abnormally haggard look were sufficient proof to Ferdinand that his friend was on the brink of a collapse. 'He already had a heart attack. We don't need another one.' 

“It's true,” said Konrad. “There's a donor for Guntram.” 

“That's good,” Ferdinand said encouragingly. “It all depends on tonight.” 

“It's in Abu Dhabi,” Konrad gulped slowly. “I don't know what to do.” 

“Well, we can't risk that you go there, nor the children.” Ferdinand said. “It's heathens land.” 

“My ancestors fought heathens in the past.” Konrad shrugged. 

“Those were Finns or Swedes. Hardly the same.” Ferdinand pointed out with a grimace. “It's a risk we can't take.” 

“I agree but I don't want to ruin Guntram's chances. Also, I don't want that he dies there.” 

“He will die here if we do nothing.” Ferdinand huffed. “Why is this man willing to help us?” 

“He loves Guntram and feels responsible for what happened. Guntram broke up with him, just as the little one said, and it seems he got sick after that.” 

“Guntram sent him to hell? Then there's hope.” 

“For the boys' sake.” Konrad clarified. “I think Repin had had enough of the Arab. He seems to be a decent person. Don't look at me like that. Our marriage is dead. Get that into your head... And you're too old to play Cupid.” 

“I would never get in the middle of this mess.” Ferdinand shook his head. “I don't understand your things.” 

“I'm glad to hear that.” 'Liar.' “Guntram and I are finished.” 

'Liar.' Ferdinand held Konrad's gaze before he spoke again. “We have to do something for the lad anyway.” 

“I agree with you.” 

“I'll fly with him to Abu Dhabi and take Michael and Bregovic with me. With some luck, Michael can fall head into the sea and I'll bring Guntram back, healthy and in one piece. You take the boys back to Zurich. It will be good for them to be with their brothers.” 

“I don't know.” Konrad stood undecided. “I can't just drop him there.”

“If Guntram survives this surgery, then we must focus on getting his sons' custody. You're his husband! It should be good for something here! The boys can't go with him to Abu Dhabi. What would happen if he dies? You will never get the children out of there.” 

“I know,” Konrad answered laconically. “You're right, Ferdinand. We'll do that.” 

“I'll speak with the Arab and make the arrangements once we know how Guntram fares. You shouldn't be talking to him. It's not good for you.” 

“I want to kill that man but he seems to be genuinely in love of Guntram. Maybe that's better for him. Better than Repin, anyway. Guntram can't be alone and this sheik might be what he needs. Guntram ran after him when things turned ugly.” 

“This lad fell on his head the day he was born.” Ferdinand said seriously and frowned upon the abated Konrad. If his friend couldn't look reality in the face, then he was going to shake him a bit. Was Konrad giving up so easily? He was nuts. Everybody around him was nuts. Handing the lad over to a Muslim after fighting with Repin for years? Throwing his own life through the window just as that snake of de Lisle wanted? Konrad was crazier than a cuckoo clock.

“Guntram's mad but with a firm hand, he's reasonable. I'm not giving him up because he's like a son to me and parents correct their children when they're wrong. I'll take him there and bring him back home. Then, he can do his pleasure after he fixes what he has left broken; you and your family.”  

Ferdinand rose from the chair and walked towards the door. “I'm going to tell that good for nothing of Michael to start packing. We're leaving as soon as the doctor gives the OK.” 

6 comments:

  1. Altair is my hero! And so is Konrad. And Ferdinand also.

    Tionne, thanks ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad's gone mad. Stop it!
    Thank you Tionne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God..
    Thank you Tionne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t trust Altair. Why didn’t he disclose the depths of the knowledge he had before the argument with Guntram? I understand getting background info on a love interest. But this is…a high level of information. I feel Altair may try to forcibly keep Guti in his country and not let him leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God... U r back....thank u so much...GBU, I'm crying of happy tears seeing u r back with the story..Thank u ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I hate seeing Guntram die why can’t they just let him rest in peace? Guntram is too good to be living in this world.

    ReplyDelete