Friday 31 May 2019

TS 3 Chapter 19


Chapter 19


Guntram de Lisle's diary
September 2nd, 2014 

A sort of colder than the Arctic peace has been established between Konrad and I. I moved downstairs and sleep there but we still do “things together” like taking the boys to their new school, speaking with the new teachers, going once to the zoo (but that was a fiasco as people I never saw in my life suddenly felt the urge of asking for autographs, selfies, kisses or whatever they came up with. I had to leave my family behind so they wouldn't be disturbed by “fans”) 
Needless to say, Konrad was very upset with me (not with them, “brainwashed media cretins” as he called them) Then, he was angry when he saw two or three media pieces about me. “This is worse than with Stefania,” he told me and I had to bit my lips to prevent myself from saying; “I was gathering support for you, asshole!” My ruse certainly played off because he got nothing but a small article in the Financial Times telling about his release and fine. No journalists banging on his door because they're busy banging on mine. 
We had a row over Altair's offer to buy the building and even if I showed him the papers rejecting it, he was pissed off with my father for even taking it into consideration (?) I showed him the many other offers we got and rejected and said the truth; we were cashless and I had no idea if the HFT thing was going to work at all. The row had no clear winner but we both were certainly upset with each other for a few days. 
Someone showed him that stupid photo of me and Altair in that stupid party and he went ballistic with me again and I didn't know if the cause was his natural jealousy or if he was angry that “a Muslim” was breathing next to me. Who knows. He made a scene of epic proportions for somebody who isn't any longer “sexually attracted” to me. 
I'm starting to see how the whole thing is going to be; he wants to be friends without sex but if any man or woman breaths next to me, he will explode in one of his jealousy fits. Konrad is like the dog in the manger.  


Nevertheless, we spent “quality time” together in the library and the bank while I was explaining him all what I had done (wish I had had someone to tell me where the fuck were all his things) He wasn't happy about Marvin and was furious because of my “closure” of the London Office. He has lost his license and can't have a bank as far as I understand but it doesn't stop him from trying to find a way to “get it back”. I did try to tell him to slow down, that he had a heart condition (well, both of us have one) but he didn't hear me. 
What he took very bad was the “loan” to the Marvin project. He shouted me for an hour and I shouted him back for his lack of vision. Fortunately, Monika separated us with a tray of tea we never asked for. This lady should be in the United Nations Security Council and not wasting her time with us. Finally, Konrad agreed to speak with Lavrov and the others.
It was a tense meeting but he's starting to see my point. Maybe that thing saves us in the end because we need new business opportunities before the mud swallows us whole. 
Guess who else returned? All the “unconditional pals” who turned their backs on me. Of course, Konrad received them and they're all friends again. I was very upset with him and he called me back “Manichaean”. “These people are my friends and business associates, Guntram. We need them. You don't live in an island.” End of story for him. 
I said something like “of course you know better, I'll go back to painting.” But Konrad's a bit slow to spot sarcasm because he answered “yes, you do that”.
He didn't like at all that I was managing his business so well. I mean, I guess he would have preferred that I would have lost money. His mental picture of me is that of a poor, wilted flower that needs protection. He becomes very frustrated if I show him I can fight my own battles. Crazy or not, I came back from Russia on my own, evading Constantin and his hounds and that's something that only Alexei can claim as done around here. 
Maybe I should play the defenseless damsel in distress to win him back because each time I show him I can stand on my own, he compares me with Roger and feels even guiltier. 
Crazy, I know. 
At least we keep things “civilized” if only to make Friederich proud. We eat together, work together and even speak a little just for the boys' sake. Of course, they have smelt there's something fishy in the air but can't still place what's rotten in Denmark. 
Only Kurt asked me: “Are you still upset for Tweezy?” 
“No, I'm not upset because of your lobster,” I said but he didn't believe me. The only person here who has a good relationship with Konrad is that muff, Johannes. The beast sleeps now under his bed and it seems I won't be returning any time soon because he's there as some sort of collateral.
This friendship without benefits is taking its toll on my nerves. 
Anyway, to make things worse, we agreed on going out with the boys to a restaurant. Karl got the best score in Maths of his class and we thought it was a good excuse to praise him a bit. As the middle one, he gets less attention than the others. In fact, Kurt gets all the attention. 
So all the family went for lunch to the only place in the world where paparazzi get a heart attack just to see how uncool it is; the Königshalle. 
Even the boys got a tie for a Saturday lunch, with Kurt strongly expressing his disagreement (till Konrad convinced him otherwise with many, many blandishments). We all were in our “best behavior” mode and the starters and main dish went without much of a fuss, mostly because we let the children tell all about their new school and friends. So far, the parents of the pupils look quite normal and none of them drive a Masseratti. 
For me, only that, justifies the change. 
With only Kurt's glitch of “we can't eat these things now. Broccoli is sort of a night-dish”, lunch was looking quite well and Konrad had offered to take the boys to the Technorama on Sunday. All of the sudden the maître showed up with a visit card in his hand and began to excuse himself for interrupting us and so on. Konrad took the card from his hand and read it and passed it to me, looking visibly upset. 
“I think this is for you. Make it short.” 
“I'm not seeing fans just right now. Look, I'll tell the press agent to stop everything. It's all over now.” I replied quickly and nearly dropped dead when I saw the name on the paper. 
Altair's. 
Who else? 
Some days and only some days, I miss Constantin's psychotic... but silent  (and distant) courtship and admiration. This man is becoming a nuisance. I mumbled an “excuse me” and went to the bar to see what psycho number two wanted. 
Silly Guntram you should have known that sheiks don't wait at the bar like humble French noblemen. He had one of the private rooms to himself, with table for two, waiters and a Picasso included.
“Are you nuts?” I seethed the moment the two waiters cleared the room. “I'm with my husband and children.” 
“Please, do sit down, Guntram,” he told me and waited for me to sit again. “I was only passing by Zurich on my way home and wanted to have a chat with you. Is the youngest one your own one? He's a beautiful child indeed.” 
“Yes, he is. Thank you.” I sat and glared at him. “What is so important that you need to summon me here?” 
“Why did you reject my offer?” 
“Though it was a splendid offer, our need to sell is over. My husband will take over our business now. Everything belongs to him. I was only acting as an executor.”
“People don't reject offers from me.” 
I sighed. Did he want to sue me now? He had no cause at all! 
“Your offer was received after we removed the property from the market. Everything was a problem of bad timing. I offer my deepest apologies to your country. I'm sure you will find many other suitable properties.”
“Has it nothing to do with us?” 
Us???? WTF. I think I blinked. Twice. 
“I'm willing to wait for you,” Altair added and I was like WTF but this time with capital letters. 
“Altair, there's nothing between us. Not even a business relationship. Nothing at all. Please understand this.” 
“The museum bought one of your paintings. In London. Beautiful piece. A Spanish landscape with goats.” He carried on with his drill as if I've said nothing at all. Great, another guy with a selective hearing problem but I have enough of them. 
“It certainly shows the greatness of Allah's creation as all of the Earth belongs to Him.” 
“Western beauty cannons are not like yours as I understand.” 
“We will have a Western section that complies with our laws,” Altair told me. “We want to show our people what to expect from your world when we come to it.” 
I still don't know if he can't speak English well or if he's just announcing me the next invasion of Europe. I don't want to give much thought to it really. 
“I appreciate your consideration for the museum and I wish you all the best. Now, if you'd excuse me...” 
“Why do you dislike me?” he asked. 
“I don't dislike you,” I retorted obfuscated. “It's just that you behave like a conqueror and stomp over me with this constant harassment. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to find you inside my closet one of these days.” There I said it. 
“I'd be happy to wake up next to you. In the bed, not in the closet but if you like it that way, we can discuss it.” 
“Altair, please. Don't contact me ever again. You're only causing me trouble. I don't know what you saw in me, but you got it all wrong.” 
“No, I got it right and I like you since the first time I saw you in Twitter. Gulya sent me your photo telling me that now she was getting a famous painter to paint her portrait and I just fell in love with you.” 
Bloody Twitter. I should sue them for... whatever. 
“I'm not who you think, Altair. As I told you once, this isn't good for you. Stop it now. It would never work in the remote case I'd be free. We come from different worlds and those worlds may soon collide.” 
“You can cross to my side of the world and I can wait until you see the truth.” Altair told me and I was speechless and honestly a bit moved by his misplaced devotion. If he weren't who he is, I'd be flattered and maybe would give it a chance. The hours before he began to behave like a royal pain in the ass were very nice. 
I left the room before my mouth would have screwed it up big time. 
I returned to my table and Konrad was having a very dark coffee while the boys ate cake full heartedly. I sat and Karl asked whom I just have met. 
“Someone from Abu Dhabi,” I shrugged and Konrad fulminated me with his eyes. He was beyond furious with me. 
“Are there zoos there?” Klaus asked me and just when I was going to tell  “I don't know”, Konrad exploded with a: 
“Muslims don't like animals. They hate dogs and pigs.” 
“Do they like lobsters?” Kurt asked frowning in a cute way. 
Before Konrad could open his big mouth again, I said, “Yes, they do. The second largest aquarium in the world is in Dubai. There must be many lobsters living there.” 
Konrad kept his mouth shut but glared at me as he paid the bill. 
I glared at him back. 
We drove home in an eerie silence; the boys were suspiciously quiet and made themselves busy trading plane cards. One could hear a shushed explanation about a model now and then. All of them were clever enough as to decide that it was a perfect time to run away and play somewhere else. 
Konrad and I were left alone in the library. I sat in one of the sofas and pretended to open a book. Konrad was pacing back and forth. For a minute, I feared for the silk carpet's health. 
“Say it.” I growled when I had enough of his pacing (let's better say stomping around like a hippopotamus)
“Well, it only takes five minutes and signing a certificate. Isn't it?” he told me. 
“To do what?” 
“Conversion. Repeat something in Arab and you can move in to Mecca. Maybe buy one of those new flats in front of the Ka'ba.” 
I really sighed this time. A jealousy fit? Now? “Konrad, nobody is moving in to Mecca. This man...” 
“He only snaps his fingers and the Christian lap dog runs there.” He told me in a voice he had never used with me. 
“Beware of what you say, German,” I growled in a voice I didn't know I had and he looked taken aback. “My people taught yours how to be Christian.” I rose to my feet and walked towards him. “My people died for Jerusalem while yours were busy pillaging Swedes, Russians and Danish.” 
“How dare you!” he shouted back. 
“I'm just coming back at your rude remarks. Shall we stop here or shall we continue insulting each other?”
Strangely, he calmed down and sat on the couch, next to the place I was. 
“Why does this man think he can come and interrupt us?” he asked me with that tone he used with me when I was in trouble and nineteen. 
“Perhaps because he's a prince and is used to get his way.” I replied. “I went there because he made a public offer for the bank and we rejected it. The offer was well over the market price and perhaps he could demand some reparations from us.” 
“Leave it to the lawyers.” 
“Which one? My father? You fired him.” 
“Guntram, I had powerful reasons to do it. We are better off. Leave it at that,” he told me sternly. “I'm more concerned about this man's name being associated with yours. Remember who you are and where you stand.” 
“Konrad, there's nothing more than a business relation between us. Tell all of your Serbian friends to cool down. I've done my part and did my best to help our Christian brothers in need. I'm not “pro-Muslim” as they call me. If I helped Shia people, it was because they had helped us first.” 
“Then why did I read hundreds of comments about you and he on the web?” 
“What?” I croaked. 
“You're quite a celebrity there,” he snorted. “And I'm the... “bad ass, loser” you should drop and get the “hot jock” from Dubai, where the streets are paved with gold.” 
“Do you even pay attention to some people's rants? That's a stupid game someone invented. I've got nearly the whole One Direction band for boyfriends and someone called Matthew Bomer.” I snorted. “I don't care. I don't read this kind of shit.” 
“I met with Altair in that party of the daughter of this Russian whose money you're guarding at the moment. Somebody took that stupid picture and all this started. I admit I used this publicity to try to change how people looked at us. You have no idea of all the trash I had to read. You were more or less a monster shielding the worst kind of scum on the earth and on top, I had to... make decisions about France.” I said. “I hate this publicity and I'm going to stop it. You know I hate to be around people. It drives me nervous but on the other hand, if they see us they won't fear us and they'll leave us alone. No journalist has been nagging at us in the past weeks.
“That stupid newspaper was almost accusing you of killing my uncle. Look Konrad, I know it was an accident no matter what Constantin was telling me. If you want to divorce, let's do it but don't fight with me every day. 
“My fifteen minutes of fame are almost gone. I'm glad for that.” 
He was silent for a while, probably thinking on all what I've said. I was beyond tired and only wanted to sleep for the rest of the day. Outside, it was starting to rain and the noise of the raindrops against the windows pierced my brain. 
At that moment, I realized how burned out I was. “I don't know what I want any more,” I confessed. “I don't think we can continue like this or if we could ever be just friends. You hate all what I did and let's say it, you hate my family.” 
Konrad was silent and didn't react to my words. 
“We didn't kill Friederich,” I said it finally. “It was nature as it was his time.” 
“You didn't kill him. I did,” he told me. 
“I can't prevent you from believing that shit,” I sighed sadly. “It's a lie and I'd give anything I have for Friederich to tell you so. But you're set on your ways and are more stubborn than I ever was.” 
For the first time in weeks he took again my hand and placed it against his chest. “We have to find a way to be friends,” he told me. “We can't be apart. The mere idea of that man coming next to you fills me with a rage you can't imagine. He comes here and thinks everything and everyone is for sale. He only wants you as a trophy, can't you see it?” 
“I think he's sincere but I don't love him. I love you no matter what.” 
“I do love you since I saw you but it's not right.” 
“Who says that? A journalist in America? People? Do you care about that? They will find the next scandal to prowl upon very soon. In fact, nobody mentions that any longer. The press wrote five or four lines about the extra judiciary agreement and forgot all about you. You didn't need to bribe them like in the past.” 
“The truth is that I can't touch you the way I did before. I simply can't,” he told me. “Not now.” 
“I'm not asking you to touch me,” I sighed and buried my face on his chest. I didn't care if he pushed me away; I only needed to feel him once more, if only for a second. 
But he let me stay there and began to caress my head. I don't know for how long we were like that but it was a long time. Just like that, holding each other. 
“I only want the best for you, Konrad.” I finally said. “Maybe I made many mistakes but I really tried hard. It was like falling inside a hurricane and see it from the inside. No one ever told me what I was supposed to do. They just expected that I had miraculously caught up some of your wisdom. One night, I just found myself surrounded by killers demanding me to kill this one or kill that one.” 
“You did wonderfully,” he told me softly and I gaped at him. “I was too furious to admit that you could be better than me but I've been thinking things over.” 
“All your strategies and the shift you gave to the Order are exactly what we need,” he sighed. “I was too blind to see it and then, I became furious at myself because of all the opportunities we missed. 
“I wanted to strangle you for all the money you gave to those nerds but you're right. This thing, Marvin, can save our business. We have to change if we want to be on the top again, Guntram. Will you step down next Friday?”
“Of course! I'm not cut out to be a Hochmeister but Goran also not. We need to look for someone else.” I buried myself deeper into his chest. It was so good to feel protected for a change. 
“Are you done with the painting?” he asked me while his hands travelled through my hair. I closed my eyes in utter bliss as I enjoyed such a rare moment. 
“It's at Meister Ostermann's workshop to be varnished. I'm at a breaking point with it. He says it's good.” 
“You must finish that portrait and have it delivered before the end of the week. I want that all ties to this Arab are severed. Is that clear?” 
“As you want, Konrad.” 
He caressed my face and kissed me on the forehead tenderly. I came even closer to him and felt myself get lost into his embrace. It was so good to have him truly back with us. His hand grabbed my chin and kissed me again, this time on my lips if only briefly. 
“Then stay out of my way on Friday. The Order is my sole concern.”  


5 comments:

  1. Konrad is playing Guntram?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Konrad. Can’t eat his cake but don’t want anyone else tasting it either. Spoiled child syndrome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something is brewing in the state of Denmark...
    Thanks for the new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will Guntram ever be free of these delusional men? Find out in the next episode...

    (that was a lovely chapter, thank you!)

    ReplyDelete