Friday 22 March 2019

Chapter 12


Chapter 12


Guntram de Lisle's Diary 
July 10th, 2014

Speaking with my “grand-uncle” wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. Of course, Monika lost her fingers dialing his office number but she took with lots of sport the “dragon-secretary” at the end of the line. As I was imagining, Charles de Mornay had little interest to see me, especially after what happened to Nicholas Lefebre. I understand that this was too much and that Goran crossed every line when little Mirko killed the poor man. He was in league with the Masons, true. He and Michel for years gladly helped Constantin to hide his money and played a part in my kidnapping, but his brutal murder was too much. 
In a way, I'm glad I sent Mirko away. I heard that he's in France and I pity the people on whom he will vent his frustration. Komtur Lahon was thinking of letting him loose in Nice and save himself all the cleansing work. 


On top, Fedérico sent Mirko to hell when he phoned him, but this fact doesn't solve my problem of asking the Masons for help (in exchange of a good commission, of course) after one of “my men” hanged and gutted one of their leaders (on my behalf, probably). 
There must have been a big party in every Lodge after Konrad was arrested. 
So, I personally called my grand-aunt. It's a dirty trick but I'm desperate. Lara Strinberg, my mother's aunt (and one of the ladies who looked after her after her parents passed away in a car accident) was very happy to hear from me. 
She invited me for dinner in Geneva so we could “surprise her husband”. I went there hoping that my aunt didn't turn out to be some kind of Lady Macbeth and had poisoned the food. 
Uncle Charles was less than thrilled to see me. I'm glad there was fish for dinner because he would have stabbed me with the meat knife. He spent the whole dinner glaring at me while Lara told me lots of things about my mother and how much she liked my past exhibitions and that she wanted to see my boy (the elders weren't mentioned) and I promised to bring him over next Saturday. 
“Well, I'll leave you boys to speak about your things,” she told us once we had finished and were having coffee in the living room. “I'm very glad that Guntram is here,” she fired at her husband and I knew right there that the poor guy had no chance to get rid of me if he wanted to enjoy a quiet retirment. She was out of the room before I could rise and say good-bye. 
“You really have a lot of nerve to come here,” de Mornay told me in a way that meant “get the fuck out of here”.
“No more than you for helping the men who planned and executed my kidnapping along with the murder or my whole security team.” I answered coldly and he gasped. I guess he wasn't expecting me to retaliate. Well, normal people don't retaliate when asking for favors or apologizing, but everyone knows I'm not normal. 
He was taken aback and I used the moment to charge. “I'm here on business, nothing else. I'm proposing you a deal that could be beneficial for both our institutions and for your friends' too. The economical situation hasn't been kind to you.” 
“That's Lintorff's fault,” he spat and probably he's right but it's not my fault. 
“As you know, we are the first in a long list of institutions who are going to be investigated by the Americans.” I continued without letting his remark to affect me. “They don't seem to appreciate all the efforts the Swiss people are doing to keep their good name as reputable bankers. To the American public, we are nothing more than... crooks with ties, and their politicians profit on that image. St. Lazarre is an institution almost as old as Wagelin and they had been also under pressure in the past months. All institutions with no direct links to the Americans have been experiencing some duress at the time.”
“We will get by, Guntram,” he told me harshly but drank his coffee in one go. All right, for someone who hasn't any kind of problems with the Americans, he's pretty concerned. 
“Although it hasn't been made public yet, we have struck a deal with the judge,” I said slowly and I swear he rose his ears like Willy Coyote. “We will pay a fine and the charges will be withdrawn.” Knowing the price of something is much harder to resist than a million dollars for free. I've learned that over the years with Konrad and I was going to use it to bargain with him. “It's a hefty sum, but we are confident to gather the money soon.” 
“How much?” Charles frowned. Hefty for us means the world for them. 
“A few billions. Francs.” 
“How many?” 
“About 4.3 billion Swiss francs.” I shrugged and I guess his heart skipped a few bits. He gaped at me and the blood was drained from his face. 
“So much?” he gulped and looked ashen. 
“Today Konrad, tomorrow you. Obama and Co. have found a new way of financing themselves.”
“We could never afford such a sum!” The man was nearly hyperventilating. 
“Well, it was calculated according to how much money the American taxpayers forgot to declare,” I shrugged. “About a hundred billion and we had not many of them. As Lacroix says, do you remember him? He was Lefebvre's boss. Lintorff Privatbank is the canary in the mine. An easy case to go after the real targets, like Swiss bankers with many liaisons to...” I said. 
“I understand.” 
“It won't be easy for you when they come after your people. All of your assets here and in the States will be frozen and you will be thrown in jail. We are dealing with a rogue state in this case and none of your allies will help you. Only your own kind will.”  
“I will not lift a single finger for Lintorff.” He told me. 
“I'm not asking you to do that.” I said and he looked at me. “I'm only asking you to introduce me to some friends of yours.” 
“Why?” 
“I might need some help to move some funds around.” Does he need that I spell it? “We are offering 6% and we'll provide the infrastructure in Asia. I only need some independent infrastructure in Europe when I move the money out of Luxembourg and Mann.” 
“I refuse to partake in your murky business, Guntram!” He even sounded offended. Now, it's just a matter of setting the price. I've seen this dance so many times. 
“The companies' net is already created. Wolfensohn and Partners saw to that,” I continued nonchalantly. 
“It's too risky. We can't accept it and we would never forge an alliance with this man.” 
“Part of the agreement is that Konrad gives up his bank.” I said and I swear his eyes lightened up. “He has been sent into early retirement.” 
“I don't believe it. Lintorff would die before giving up his hold on things.” 
“FINMA will take away his license.” I said sadly. “I'm focusing the business more in industry. We have three years to dismantle the hedge funds and you know I'm speaking the truth. I'd like to do it in an orderly way, so nobody gets hurt in the process.” Charles is perfectly aware of what a stampede could do the markets. After all, it isn't my money but the customers' and I'm quite fed up with them. 
“Today for me, tomorrow for you,” I added softly, as I saw him mentally calculating the costs of having an “idealist, non-experienced youth” selling off goods for 700 billion because that was what was in the hedge funds last time I checked. An elephant in a bazaar would cause less damage than me. The numbers look so good after all what Bernanke and Draghi have done for them and now shows up this little idiot to ruin everything!
“Keep your hands off.” Charles said in a hurry. “We... some friends have enough with your tampering with the gold market.” 
“I was only defending myself.” I managed to look contrite.
“Not even Lintorff ever did something like this. You have no idea of all the troubles you caused.”
“I was so nervous,” I sighed. “I'm sorry if I broke a few rules. I didn't know what to do.” 
“A few rules?” Charles huffed incensed. “You nearly broke....” I looked at him dying to know who was the motherfucker who started the mess but he went silent. “Never mind,” he growled. 
“Seven percent, uncle?” I asked. 
“A minimum of fifteen considering who the client is,” he huffed. 
“Eight is my maximum,” I growled. “That's five points over what you normally charge for difficult cases.” I'm naïve but not that much. Probably Ferdinand would get it for 5% after showing the whip and the candy box in less than ten minutes.
“Will I have your word that Lintorff will retire after this is over?” 
“I'm the first person who wants him out.” I spoke the truth. “I don't think he will want to return to the business. He has no way to.” 
“You still don't know him like we do.” Charles shook his head and gave me that “what an idiot you are” look I get on a daily basis. “Very well, Guntram. I hope you know what you're doing when you release the beast from his cage. I will speak with my colleagues and we will see.” He rose from his chair and I did the same. “This is between you and me, Guntram. Don't get Lara into this.” 
“I will but she wants to meet my son.” 
“Let her, but never speak about business,” 
“I'll keep my relationship with her to family only.” I promised him. 
“Your mother was the nicest lady I ever knew but you don't take much after her.” 
“I take more from my father's side.”
“More to your uncle Roger's as Lintorff can testify,” he told me in a tone I didn't like at all. 
“Did you know about it?” I asked with my “mortified dork” face. “You must have been there when it happened.” 
“No, not really.” He looked embarrassed with my question. “I was more a friend to your father. He and your mother were coming for dinner each time we were in Paris.” 
“Then perhaps, one shouldn't believe in all what's written in the papers.” 
“Yes, of course.” He told me and quickly changed the topic to my son's doings. 
I slept in Geneva at the Beau Rivage and it was hard to be there. After all, I spent the night there with Heindrik after I found out about Konrad and Roger. Of all the hotels in the city, Monika had to choose that one. It isn't her fault, but I suffered a sleepless night. 
I drove home very early in the morning. 

7 comments:

  1. Tionne, thank you for the update :)

    I hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guntram seized his uncle in a iron grip and deceived him a bit :)
    Thank you for the interesting chapter! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tionne! You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guntram has become a tiger... ^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching Guntram negociate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete