Friday 17 January 2014

TS 2 Part VI Chapter 24


Chapter 24


May 18th, 2012
Zurich

A soft cooing awoke Konrad and he looked around, disoriented for a second, until his eyes found the slim form curled and buried under the covers, peacefully sleeping next to him. He looked the only visible raven strands over the pillow and got lost once more in his thoughts. 'I wonder why his hair is black. Was this Repin's idea or his? He looks older but more sexy.'
Still dressed with his trousers and shirt, he sat on the bed and remembered that Guntram had looked terrified when he started to remove his clothes and he had preferred to keep them on and sleep on top of the covers. “Maus, I'm only here to look after you and wake you up if you have nightmare,” he had told the frightened man. “I'll sleep on top of the bed or in the sofa, if you prefer it.”
The cooing transformed into a inquisitive laughter and Konrad looked at the baby's crib, where he was standing, securely clutching the railing and looking at his father's direction. “Dada!” the baby shouted and Konrad took him in his arms to be rewarded with an ample smile as a small hand touched his face.
“You have certainly inherited your father's temper, little one,” he said kindly to the baby. “I'll take you out for breakfast but let your father sleep for a bit longer. He's very tired,” he explained while he went out to the corridor. “I'm sure there must be something for you in the kitchen,” he mumbled as he closed the door with great care.
“You could also use a change in your life,” he grimaced when his hand felt the heavy diaper “and I know the right man for the job; your godfather Goran,” he added with a smile and the baby smiled too.
'Your brothers are in great troubles as you are certainly cute. Not even Karl looked so well as you do and he never interacted so much with people. I will have to get a tank to keep people away from you, little one. Women are very foolish nowadays and respect nothing,' Konrad thought as he held his now “youngest child”.


“Ah Goran, good morning,” he said regally when he entered in the kitchen and saw the man reading a newspaper with a black coffee mug at his side. “I believe the baby needs to be changed.”
Goran looked incredulously at his Griffin and rose an eyebrow. “The maid left everything in the other guest room,” he answered and returned to his newspaper.
“You are the godfather if I remember correctly,” a slightly upset Konrad pointed out, challenging the Serb with his look.
“I can warm a bottle for him, my Griffin but that's all I can do.”
“Are you refusing to obey a direct order from your Hochmeister?” Konrad growled furiously.
“I don't see your cousin Georg in this room, my Duke, and this is not the kind of dirty jobs I'm used to,” Goran answered impassive.
“What do you suggest, oh mighty Summus Marescalus?”
“Irony was never your best trait, my Griffin. We call Ratko, he has four children. He should know what to do.”
The clicking of some keys was a welcomed sound as both men realised that it could only be Nicoletta coming back from her shopping.
The old lady stood in the middle of the kitchen, holding the two bags filled with baby supplies, looking in awe at the two men and the undressed baby, still wearing an obviously very dirty diaper. She mumbled her opinion of their parenting skills in Romanian and took the baby in her arms, softly speaking to reassure him that those two brutes will never be in charge of him again, and that she was going to make him feel much better with a fresh diaper and warm clothes.
“What did she say?” Konrad asked once she was out of the hearing range.
“That you are a disgrace and an incompetent as father. Romanian women have strong characters,” Goran shrugged. “She will fix whatever you may have broken, my Duke.”
“Fine.”
“How is Guntram?”
“Soundly asleep. He had some nightmares but he quieted when he heard my voice. I think we should let him sleep longer.”
“Indeed. Do you want some coffee, my Griffin?”
“Back to Griffin?”
“You will always be our Griffin and next December you must recover your title as our Hochmeister. Georg von Lintorff is useless and the Komturen are losing their patience.”
“I know and I want my title back.”
“Have you given any thought to the other issue?”
“We must find a way to verify all what happened in Russia. I can't believe Oblomov is dead and Repin must be lurking around.”
“Not that one, the other; the French Connection. His son and grandchild are here now.”
“Ah, that one,” Konrad mumbled defeated. “No, I didn't.”
“You can't lock up Guntram in your castle, sir. Lacroix will come up at any minute.”
“I don't want that piece of trash near Guntram! Look all the damage he inflicted upon him!” Konrad roared but kept his voice low as he didn't want to wake up the boy. “His heart would not stand this.”
“We can't keep him away from Guntram. By now he must know that we have him. We must reach a compromise with him,” Goran whispered. “A way to smooth the news to Guntram.”
“Yes, zombie daddy is back,” Konrad said bitterly. “The same who sold him to a mobster so he and his heretic friends could kill his husband while said gangster raped him every night. This Lacroix is the worst piece of shit that ever walked upon this Earth, Goran. I will never let him come near my Guntram again.” Konrad sat at the table with a face that didn't leave much room for discussions. Goran stood up and served another black espresso for him and returned to his original place.
“This is not your decision. It's Guntram's,” the Serb insisted, setting the coffee mug in front of Konrad.
“Don't you know him already? Two kind words, a little crying and he will forgive this monster everything! Lacroix wants to be in the middle and control the Consort. I will recover my position and I can't have that man in my entourage.”
“Your solution, my Griffin? Should I dispose of him? Don't you think he has already considered that possibility and has something big against you hidden up his sleeve? Don't you know him already? He's like a tick and has bitten you in the neck. It will not be easy to remove it.”
“He will suck all my blood up and drive my Guntram mad.”
“This is why we must contain him now before he sees Guntram. For his own sake.”
“What do you suggest?”
“Blackmail him exactly as he did with you.”
“I have nothing against him.”
“Really? Who sold Guntram to Repin?” Goran asked evilly. “Either Lacroix behaves nice and obeys you or his days as “Father of the Year” will miserably end. We also need him on our side and away from the Masons. This man knows too much but we can't eliminate him as we would like.”
“I could give him something to keep him entertained and away from my real source of power,” Konrad mused.
“If you can beat the enemy, neutralize him as my father used to say. We need everything he has on us. It's twenty years of top information what we are speaking about. This leakage must stop now.”
“Don't forget the material he has on our friends the Freemasons.”
“Indeed, my Duke,” Goran said with a smirk.

* * *

Goran checked his watch and sighed. 'It's over, sleeping beauty. I know you're tired but it's almost two p.m. Time to rise and face the world. I will not have you here depressed and lurking around.'
“Nicoletta, can you take the child to bed? He needs his nap,” Goran asked as he picked up a dozing baby from his white carpet, where he had been playing with some toys and a dirty rabbit he had with him from before.
The cleaning lady entered in the living room and took the child in her arms, flashing him a big smile.
“Mr. de Lisle is still sleeping in the bedroom. Should I wake him up?”
“No, I'll do it. Take Konrad to my bedroom and put him to sleep there,” Goran answered as he rose from his sofa, leaving his book aside.

* * *

Goran knocked on the door very softly but got no answer from Guntram. 'He's really beaten, but he can't stay there for the rest of the year.' He opened the door and entered in the room. He opened the curtains and sat on one side of the bed. 'He looks a bit better but it will take a long time before he's himself again,' thought Goran. 'The Duke has no idea of what he's going through now.'
“Hey, Guntram. Wake up,” he said out loud, slightly shaking the young man by the shoulder. “You're going to miss lunch too.”
Guntram opened his eyes and jumped away from the hand who had touched him, raggedly breathing until he recognised Goran. “Hi,” he mumbled ashamed. 'Why do I do this now? I didn't do it when I was with John,' he thought briefly. “Where is Konrad?”
“The old or the young one?” Goran asked with a smile.
“My baby. What did you do with him? Guntram left the bed and checked that his son was not in the crib any longer. “Give him back to me!” he shouted and Goran sighed.
“He was up at nine in the morning. He has been playing since then and now he's gone to take a nap. He had lunch already.”
“You had no right to take him away!”
“Guntram, calm down. He's perfectly fine. Get dressed and you will see him. Besides, it was the Duke who took him away, not I,” the Serb clarified with a dry tone.
“I'm sorry, Goran. I didn't mean to yell at you. I don't know why I do this.”
“You do it because you need to feel you are in control again. It's a natural reaction. The danger is over, the adrenaline ran out and now all your fears come up because you inwardly know that if you lower your guard to let them out, nothing will happen. It's an excellent reaction if you're a soldier. You kept yourself going on during the most stressful times and now, you can let yourself go,” Goran answered with a compassionate smile. “Get ready and let's have lunch here. We can visit your flat later.”
Once Guntram was alone again, he slowly stood up, feeling very tired although he had slept more than ten hours. He dressed once more in his old clothes and sighed as they were two sizes or more too big for him. He left the security of his room and hesitated about where he should go.
“Ah, there you are. Eat before this gets cold,” Goran told him getting his head out of the kitchen.
Guntram silently sat at the chair Goran indicated and watched how he served some pasta in a dish. The sense of strangeness once more hit him and he fixed his eyes on Goran, taking a seat in front of his own dish.
“Something wrong?” he asked.
“I wonder if this is real or another dream. It's not the first time it happens,” Guntram said very slowly.
“Happens what?”
“That I think I'm at home. I'm a schizophrenic and my illusions are always so real. Maybe I'm still in Russia and you're Massaiev trying to shake me out of it. Perhaps I finally lost it.”
“Guntram, this is real. You just crossed half Europe to be here. It's me, Goran.”
“Don't illusions always tell you they are real?” the young man asked sadly.
“Do illusions grow old like I did?” Goran said very softly. “This is real and don't be so concerned about what is sane or not. Who ever told you that the world was sane?”
Guntram intensively watched the new silver hairs in the dark shining hair from his friend and the small wrinkles around his eyes. “It's true,” he whispered. “You are really here.”
“You also,” Goran patted his hand. “Eat, it's getting cold and fighting with the microwave is too much for me. Nicoletta is gone for the day.”
Guntram cracked a smile and slowly began to eat.
“Why did you say you're a schizophrenic?” Goran asked once the youth was done with half of his dish.
“Because I'm one. I have many of the symptoms and a doctor gave me many pills for it. I was feeling better with them,” Guntram replied. “I've been sick for many years but it didn't explode till now.”
“You were under an enormous pressure, little brother. As if you would have been in a war. No one can tell you are sick.”
“Goran, I see things that are not there. I fall into these spells and become like catatonic and I don't know what I did in the meantime.”
“If this continuous, we have to consider that diagnosis. I never told this to anyone, so I hope you can keep me the secret, little brother.” Goran took a sip of his water to cast the bitterness from his mouth. “When I found Pavel dead, I went mad with grief and left my men for two weeks. Ratko and Milan thought I had been killed, but the truth is that I don't remember what happened during those two weeks. I know that I went to the forest and I killed the first three people. How do I know? It's not that I remember actually doing it, but I saw the photos of their bodies and the technique to bleed them to death was the same my own uncle Mladic had taught me years ago. This is how I know I was responsible for their deaths. None of my men could have done it.”
“Later, I started to see Pavel standing next to me. He was always looking at me very sadly. He kept on appearing to me every time I was alone or killing one of the men who had hurt him. I thought I was finally becoming mad, but it didn't stop me. I was determined to finish what I had started. Once I had completed my list, Pavel just disappeared from my life and I was left with this sorrow. I realised then, that I was not mad, that it was only stress and grief and I wished I would have been mad. At least, this way, my brother would have not been gone forever and I would have not felt so responsible for his death.”
“Goran, it wasn't your fault. Your brother would have never blamed you,” Guntram said with great pain.
“Really? I should have sent him away but I didn't because he had to defend our land like we all did. He was an artist, yet I forced him to be a soldier.”
“Nobody can blame you for what happened,” Guntram said, doubting if he should touch Goran's arm to comfort him.
“I did my best to look after him and I failed. God gave me a chance with you and I also failed.”
“You didn't fail me. You did all you could for me. One Colombian said you were looking for me and that gave me the strength to continue. You're my best friend, Goran. You're more than a brother to me. Not many would have done what you, Milan, Ratko and Alexei have done for me.” Guntram's hand finally rested on Goran's forearm.
“Don't forget Mirko and that crazy Argentinean,” Goran added with a forced smile.
“What Argentinean?”
“The former international drugs dealer, Fedérico Martiarena. If I would have known what he's capable of, I wouldn't have bothered to speak with the Venetian Komtur. He can take care of himself very well.”
“Fefo is here?” Guntram asked with total disbelief.
“No, he's gone out of town with Mirko for a few days. They will return soon and when they do, you can see him,” Goran answered. 'Gone hunting a German nanny. Should be easy.' “The Argentinean was a great help to us and he's one of us now. Like Ratko, Milan and Mirko. He's the first member in our group who wasn't born in Serbia.”
Guntram looked at Goran in shock and slowly repeated the question dangling from his mind. “Fefo is in the Order?”
“Yes, he's an Executioner. He will carry out God's will and his hand is not merciful.”
“I never thought that Fefo could be with you.”
“He has changed and he's a good friend. We can trust him and he risked his life for you and us without thinking it twice. His sense of humour could improve and he could be a bit more polite to people, but we all like him. He was the one who found Repin's lair but we were late as you were not there any longer. I should have listened to him and I blame myself for it too.”
Guntram looked at Goran and returned his attention to the dish, unable to process all the news.
Do you think you could tell me what happened that night?” Goran softly asked.
“I don't know... I went to the party and got drunk because I remember to have fallen on the bed and then, I woke up at Constantin's house in Paraguay. I don't remember anything else,” Guntram told him. “Larsen was with me, but they used him to keep me docile. Constantin told me he was released after we left, but I don't believe it.”
“We never found his body, Guntram.” 'And we never will, but it makes no sense to tell him the truth.'
“No? Do you think maybe he's alive?” Guntram asked full of hope.
“Who knows,” Goran answered curtly. “We believe he was working for the Masons who attacked us.”
“He was in league with the people who took me,” Guntram replied. 'I can't tell them who my father is. Even if he's a bastard, I can't unleash Goran against him.' “Constantin told me he worked alone,” he said and gulped.
“You still lie very badly, little brother. Don't play poker with Ratko and I.” Goran realised that Guntram was well aware of Lacroix's role and preferred to tell him the truth. “We know your lawyer, Michel Lacroix was behind the attack and in league with the Masons.”
“I don't understand you,” Guntram lied once more, confirming Goran's suspicions that Guntram already knew the truth.
“Guntram... He came to us and gave us all what he had on Repin. He was very concerned about you and risked his life to show his face to the Duke. Perhaps you would like to see him at some point,” he suggested. “The Duke knows him and tolerates his presence near you. We don't think he was in league with Repin, just obeying orders from the Masons.” 'Murdering piece of shit or not, Lacroix is his father and he always missed him. It's Guntram's decision to see him or not.'
“I... don't want to see this man ever, Goran.” Guntram said very slowly once he recovered from his shock 'So Konrad knows he's my father and has not touched him. He's not so bent to revenge as I thought.'
“Guntram...”
“He betrayed my trust!” Guntram shouted out of himself. “I suffered all what I suffered in my life because of him! Period.”
“I think maybe you should give him a chance to explain his deeds. Hating him is not good for you. In a few weeks, once you are feeling better, maybe you would like to see him.”
“If he comes near me, I'll shoot him like I shot those two poor bastards,” Guntram said with a cold voice.
“All right, I will not tell you what to do, Goran sighed. “You're old enough as to know what's good for you.”
“Spit it out, Goran,” Guntram said wit a very tired voice.
“I think we should make an appointment with your own doctor, van Horn.” Goran changed the subject. “What you told me about this surgery drives me very nervous. We should check that everything is in its place, don't you think?”
“I know it and you are right. I feel much better than before and without it I couldn't have survived this.”
“Heart surgery is not something you do in a back alley. Do you say you were in Austin?”
“Yes, the Austin Heart Institute, under the name of Fyodor Tarasov and the doctor's name was Sverdloff. He's well known in St. Petersburg. He owed money to Constantin. Several millions.”
“We will check that, but I think it will be another dead end. Don't worry, van Horn will fix what is broken or not.”
“Goran, this surgery is well known and I had no problems with my heart afterwards. Not a single one. I'm crazy, but my heart functions very well. I'll die an insane but healthy man.”
“As I told you, speak with a real doctor before you check yourself in at the asylum,” Goran growled. “Are you finished? We can go to your old flat now, check if everything is fine and at 5 p.m., you have an appointment with your doctor.”

* * *

May 21st, 2012
Zurich. Hotel Eden

“Cheer up! You look like you were just coming from a funeral! Are you sure you don't want another one? That meat was real good. Almost like an American Steak,” John gloated, well aware that his companion hated his manners. 'They all look like the Godfather after drinking a bottle of vinegar.'
“I have an ulcer,” Ratko growled miserably, asking once more why he had been appointed to babysit the rude American. 'I should be with Mirko and the Argentinean. This is more for Milan or even Marko. How could Guntram cope with this idiot?'
“A big bad-ass guy like you has an ulcer?” John chuckled like a boy.
“Like everybody else.” Ratko stabbed with the fork his grilled chicken and greens.
“Are you married?”
“Yes, I am.”
“There you have it. Ever considered divorce?”
“Married men live longer than single ones. Besides my wife is not the cause of my ulcer. I work hard.”
“So do I and I don't have an ulcer.”
“Good for you.”
“Maybe it's your boss. That one, the short brunette. He has quite a nasty attitude toward people. What was his name? Pavi something.”
Ratko had just opened his mouth to put the American back in his place when he saw the Duke approaching their table, accompanied by the maître and he immediately rose to his feet, bowing his head to his superior and mumbling “my Duke” whereas John watched him with a smirk without rising from his chair.
Konrad's cold stare was enough to inform Ratko that he should go away. The tall man stood still in front of John and inspected him like he would inspect a monkey at the zoo, taking in his informal clothes although it was more than 8 p.m., and the American was obviously having dinner.
“I suppose you're Fedia's boyfriend by the way your man ran away,” John said with a smirk. “Sit down, you're not a lady and I'm not going to move the chair for you.”
Konrad's fury almost reached the surface but he kept himself outwardly calm as he repeated once more that he needed to know what he was facing as the details of Guntram's return journey to Zurich were troubling him more and more. 'I will not have another Andreas Volker around. One is enough.”
“My name is Konrad von Lintorff and I am Guntram's consort,” he said very coldly and took the chair in front of him, ignoring the waiters rushing to remove the dishes from the table.
“Right,” John answered. “The banker. I'm John Althorpe but you already know that.”
'I see now why Goran calls him the shopkeeper.' “I have come to thank you for your help to return Guntram safely home,” Konrad intoned very formally.
“Guntram? Ah, yes. I keep forgetting that's his real name. I know him as Fedia and he told me several times that the other was just a pen name. It's really weird.”
“His name is Guntram de Lisle Guttenberg Sachsen and he is the Vicomte de Marignac. His son, Konrad Goran de Lisle Guttenberg Sachsen will inherit the title.”
“He was always a real prince, just as I thought the minute I saw him.” John sighed dejectedly. “I thought they were only living in the fairy tales.”
“Guntram comes from a very old family. My own family are newcomers if we compare to them,” Konrad said somewhat appeased that the man was not rubbing in his face his past relationship with Guntram. “But not all aristocrats are like my Guntram. Many tend to be whimsical and live from their ancestors glories.”
“Good to be American. We don't have to pay for Royal Houses ad aeternum.” John found funny the tall and impressive man's tactics of drawing the line. “But you're right, not everybody can look and be a true prince at the same time. Guntram was generous enough as to show me so.”
'Maybe he's not a boor and just needs one good polishing. More dangerous for me. Guntram loves lost causes. I have to see that he understands that he belongs to me.' “This has been and ordeal for Guntram but I must ask you a few questions if you allow it. We are a bit concerned about his mental stability.”
“I only want to hit my head against a wall, so join the club, Mr. Lintorff.”
“It is hard to loose someone like Guntram,” Konrad tested.
“It's hard if you ever had him,” John retorted. “No, I never had him and I don't challenge your “ownership”, “dominance” or whatever you want to call it. I want to crack my head open because all the symptoms were there and I didn't notice them. I thought he was coming from an abusive relationship and nothing else. I thought he just wanted to come back to the first square with you and I was more than willing to pick up the pieces when you would have thrown him out.”
“So you love him.”
“Yes, but he doesn't return my affections. He told me so many times. He even apologize several times for “using” me to come here. I don't think he used me more than I used him. I should have known that someone like him couldn't be alone in the world. You win. My mistake.”
“Not many men would take this so fairly.”
“Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's not the end of the world and he's truly in love of you. I will be very happy if he's happy with you for the rest of his life. He mentioned your name several times, but never wanted to tell me who you were. He was terrified of something, but I never thought that he was escaping from a gangster. Did you catch the bastard? I can't think of anything that could help your people. I saw nothing out of the ordinary after I met Guntram.”
“I have every intention of making him happy for the time he has to live.” Konrad said strangely perturbed at the man's honesty. “I do also love him and we didn't split on our own accord.”
“It was gruesome what happened in Buenos Aires. Shorty told me.”
'Shorty?' “I beg you pardon?”
“The Serb who looks in charge. The dark haired one. Pavilevic” Konrad couldn't help to gape at the man for a brief second as he continued to casually speak. The “I thought he was his boyfriend” drove him back to reality.
“Mister Goran Pavicevic has been Guntram's best friend for over ten years,” Konrad clarified very sternly.
“Yeah, that one. Shorty. Anyway, what I was telling you is that you don't have to worry about me. I'm going back to the USA soon.”
“I only wanted to ask you if you could describe Guntram's mental state when he was with you. I understand he suffers from time lapses.” Konrad hurried to say, strangely unable to cope with the idea of a talk over his kitten affair with the American.
“Sure, I understand,” John said affably. “Fe... I mean Guntram, seemed to be weird sometimes but it's totally understandable if he was kidnapped, drugged and many other things. Let me see. First, he was all the time looking over his shoulder and I think seeing things that were not there. When I met him in the ship, he was running away from somebody. If he came with me, it was to get rid of someone. Heck, he practically ducked in the car's floor when we were leaving the harbour. He was almost panicking every time we were getting out of the hotel. But on the other hand, he was always pending of his baby and I never saw him neglected of anything. He was always feeding him first, seeing that he was well dressed against the cold, staying with him, playing with him and all the things a sensible parent does. I mean, I know what a “wacko mum” is as my own one was always high; bringing boyfriends to stay overnight and making it in the couch where you watch TV. I left home at 15 and that was my best idea so far. Guntram is nothing like that.”
“That's a huge relief.”
“The first rule he set? “Never in front of my child”. John remembered with a soft smile. “It's true that sometimes he falls into these trances -I don't know how to call them- but if you shake him, he's back with you. My cousin Mary was schizophrenic and when she had one of her fits, nothing could bring her back. Maybe he's just overstressed or with this thing soldiers suffer after being in combat.”
“Could you please describe those “trances”, Mr. Althorpe?”
“I'm John. Only my secretary calls me Mr. Althorpe when she remembers it.”
“Thank you. You may call me Konrad if you like, John.” Kornad said a bit stiffly.
“I don't know what those spells are. It's as if he would switch off for a while. I don't know what triggers them, but they always start when he's alone. Once he went to put the child to bed and lost a full hour. In Bruges, I went downstairs to buy a bottle of wine and he had made four or five sketches he didn't remember doing. He destroyed them the minute I showed them to him.”
“What were those sketches?”
“Faces of men. I don't know who they are. He never told me and I asked him several times over. He was very afraid of them. Sometimes I would ask him something like “do you like clams? (There are a lot of them in Bruges) and he would tell me his full fake name and ask me why I was asking it as there are no clams in Uruguay. More than once I caught him staring from the window -we had a flat in a fifth floor- down the street. That was really spooky because he was always insisting on keeping the windows closed. I thought he was afraid the baby would catch a cold, but once he told me that he could feel how the cobblestones were calling to him. Do you understand it?”
“His tutor told him his father jumped out of a window when he was seven years old,” Konrad answered mechanically very disturbed and John hissed in pain. “When I met him, I thought many times he was a potential suicide, but the symptoms disappeared over the years. He went through a very difficult childhood and practically had no self-esteem at all.” Konrad said but wondered why Guntram would be still considering his father's suicide still if he already knew the man was alive. 'Perhaps this runs deeper than we all think.'
He cleared his throat before he asked his next question. “Did he have this lapses when he was looking through the window?”
“Yes, several. He has some strange marks in his left arm.”
“He tried to escape his kidnapper by committing suicide,” Konrad explained.
“Fuck!” John mumbled. “I swear that if I would have known earlier, I would have brought him here ASAP.”
“I know, John,” Konrad said with evident pain. “I'm truly grateful to you because in the end you helped him.”
“For my own selfish reasons, don't forget that, but I do want the best for him. Are we OK?”
Konrad looked at him trying to understand the sentence's inner coherence. “We are OK, John,” he finally said as he extended his right hand to the man. “Thank you.”
“Look well after him or I'll kick your ass,” John said and shook his hand. “And I mean it. He deserves the best.” Far from being offended, Konrad nodded silently feeling an unfamiliar constriction at his throat. “He's a good kid because he's a kid no matter if he's almost thirty years old,” John continued to speak, looking into his eyes.
“I swear over my own children heads not to repeat the mistakes from the past. My life means nothing if Guntram is not with me.”
“That's good to hear. I assumed you were an asshole like me from some of the things he told me about you. Don't deny it because we are more similar than you think.”
Konrad's back became very rigid and stared at the man and he chuckled with a “save me the terror show. Would you tell Guntram good-bye for me?”
“Why don't you tell it by yourself?”
“Because you're six foot three and already willing to hang my insides from your castle's walls?” John grinned again. “Isn't that what you do in Europe?”
“Not since a long time ago. It's against European Community Public Health Standards,” Konrad answered with a chuckle. “Beheading is still acceptable though.”
“Wow. Now I know why we always have an Englishman or a German to play the villain in the movies.” John chuckled and Konrad laughed in unison. “Just share one secret with me and I'll leave you alone.”
“Yes?”
“Do you know where I could get someone like Guntram? Is there a place where princes meet in Europe?”
“I'm afraid Guntram is one of a kind. Irreplaceable,” Konrad answered with a sad smile. “There are no substitutes for him.”
“I was imagining so. No pond where the frogs like myself can catch a prince like him?”
“Frogs and toads are very compassionate animals, John. You never know what they could bring into your life,” Konrad said softly as John looked at him in astonishment. “But I could give you some advice of where are the right ponds to find a prince.”
“Really? Well, I'll buy you a scotch and we can speak longer.”
“The beginning of a good friendship deserves a Louis XIII at home.”

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much
    vall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need help what order do the chapters go in are they all one book please let me know give me a Guide or something. Some are VI, V, and IV and I can never find all of the chapters for either parts. My Email is Ariana7IsQueen@aol.com. I was so happy when I saw that there was a sequel to the book but I can't read it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      The very first chapter of TS2 is this entry. From there on you just have to keep reading forward. TS2 is divided into three parts (IV, V and VI) and each part has its own chapter sequence. Hope this helps. =)

      ~H.

      Delete