Friday 13 August 2021

TS3 Chapter 18

 Chapter 18



Guntram de Lisle's diary

January 19th, 2016

London


On Monday I arrived at London airport at 11 a.m. Just my luck, St. Claude's secretary was waiting for me and she drove me to the bank for a meeting I wasn't expecting or informed about. 

The London office, or what is left of it, was quite a mess of unhappy people. I wasted four hours speaking with St. Claude and trying to find a way to sort out some of his mess. This bloody thing, Marvin, makes us feel like useless idiots as it has taken over almost all of the business. How can you be a banker if the thing creates the companies for you? In a way Konrad was right. Humans are not ready for it. 

We have old sharks sitting at their desks, furious because there's no meat in the water and we also have... little “Dories” in two thousand pounds suits sitting at their desks trying to look useful.

Bloody upcoming Brexit. We have to push the fusion of the London Stock Exchange with Frankfurt. 

I was supposed to be here to meet Altair and in the blink of an eye, I found myself playing Konrad up to 7 p.m. 

On the way back to the house, I stopped by Harvey Nichols to buy the candies, macarons and biscuits. I hope he chokes on them. 

The truth is I didn't want to pass by Constantin's former house. It brought me so many memories back. I didn't also want to walk by Holland Park but Altair lives in St. Edwards Square, so that's unavoidable. 

After showering and changing I walked towards his house because I needed to think without anyone hovering around me. The view of the tall trees soothed me. I arrived at 9 p.m. Altair was still in meetings. So I was led by one of his aides -I don't even know their names- to what used to be the music room. Maybe his staff was a bit surprised that I would be walking alone in the streets. 

I tried to wait peacefully, but my mobile phone didn't give me a minute's rest because it was vibrating permanently with messages and e-mails. Note to self: We should create a Whatsapp group and collectively whine there. 



About 10 p.m, Altair entered in the room alone and gave me a kiss and a hug. 

My mobile rang: Enrico di Mattei plus an SMS by Goran. Can't they stay put for two hours? No, they can't. Only Konrad was missing to the party. No, there he is: SMS. 

I switched off the phone. Apple would make trillions if Siri could reject calls before they reach your phone. 

“I'm sorry.” I said and sat again and Altair did the same next to me. 

“Why are you doing all this?” 

“I don't know,” I said earnestly. “Honestly I don't know. It just happened. I set a foot in that place and thirty minutes later I had several problems to fix and everything spiraled downwards right from that moment.” I sighed. It isn't really easy to explain the unexplainable. This week has been like a walk in the Twilight Zone. I'm not even sure of what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. The boys' excuse doesn't hold anymore. 

“Why are you living with that man?” I could tell he had an edge to his voice and is totally understandable. Maybe Altair wasn't so sporty or sure about himself as Constantin was. 

“I'm not living with him. I'm staying with my children whom he happens to have full custody now. I can't take them out of the country without his signature and my older sons live there too.” 

“Guntram, you live under his roof!” He shouted me. 

“The bloody cottage had a broken pipe! I couldn't move out earlier!” I shouted back. We both looked at each other furiously. Yes, he's a hot headed one... just like me. 

“I've been trying to speak with you but the only thing I get is evasiveness. I'm willing to leave everything behind, just for you but you still play the game of cat and mouse with me.” 

“I can't leave every thing behind me.” I told him. “I can't get my boys out of Switzerland. Konrad has the upper hand as we speak. Next week my lawyers will present the papers for nullifying the custody granted to him. It can be a long process and he's willing to fight with me on this. On top, my children don't want to move. They're happy where they are and I can't get them on a plane without having the whole Interpol after me.”

“You can if you want. Come to my country. We have no extradition treaty with Switzerland.” 

“Wonderful, to be a fugitive for the rest of my life.” 

“Lintorff didn't come after you when you ran away to New Zealand.” 

I could tell Altair was pretty mad at me but he doesn't know Konrad like I do. At that time, Konrad felt “guilty” but now he has mumbled a miserable “sorry” and is back to his usual psycho self. 

“I had him by the balls but I lost that card after the first surgery.” I told him calmly. “It was a mutual exchange.” I added because he frowned at me in such a way that was scary.

Altair began to pace like a lion along his cage and I didn't know what to tell him. 

“I do love you.” That sounded weak and lame even to me. 

“Really? You don't show it very well. You say that you love me but them you throw me to the trash like nothing.” He spat the words at me. “I'd bet you reply my e-mails once you finish with your work.” 

“I don't want to hurt you but understand my position. I'm about to lose my sons’ custody if I follow you!”

Altair looked at me like a deer in front of the car lights. “I'm not a parent but I know that your offsprings will always be the most important thing for you. It's instinct.”

I extended my hand towards him and he took it. I pulled from it to make him sit next to me again. He did it and put his head on my chest and I embraced his head. “I do love you,” I repeated, “but I can't leave my children behind. He has me by the balls now.” 

“I know,” he sighed. “You chose someone else already once.” 

“It was more complicated than that. I loved François for many, many years and look how it all ended. I fear for you if you stay with me.” I told him and he removed his head from me. 

“I know what they are and I'm much better protected that you are. They're fanatics of the worst kind. You have to leave them.” 

“They aren't fanatics.” I told him calmly but it felt awful to be labelled as such, regardless that he's again tampering with what he should not. “Nothing farer away from the truth. They think very carefully each one of their moves and they hate you. You have no idea of the resources they control. You think you can come here and have everybody in your payroll but don't be mistaken; they let you do it as it is a way to get closer to you and slit your throat when you're sleeping. They were great friends with François until he wasn't useful to them any longer. One second of inattention and he was dead. Look how easily they got my babies custody without a single question.” 

Altair has to understand that in this game silence is golden. He has to know that by now. 

“The Order's power isn't that big. Lintorff was in jail.” Altair knows us very well. We were in the front page, remember? Most people thought it was one of those “conspiracy” theories and forgot about us when the next scandal exploded but others took duly notice of the Christian secret society with good ties to the mafia and Russians. 

“Did he tell anything? Was he found guilty of anything? He only paid a fine and walked away free. They call that time “monastic holidays”.” I told him.

“If I go to Dubai, it will be war.” I pray that he finally gets the message. “A war you can't win because it isn't about money anymore. You'd be in trouble with your own people.”

“Let me worry about that.” 

“I can't even ask you to see me again.” I told him earnestly. Sending me for cookies was Konrad's way of giving me a stark warning without saying the words. 'You're less than the office boy now. You're expendable.' I called him mafia and he sent me a mafia like warning. 

It's always been a matter of reading the signs if you want to last. My children belong to him and I'm bordering treason in the eyes of everybody. I will have to look humble when I deliver the wretched cookies if I want to keep all what I have. 

“You're risking your life whenever you see me.” I told him clearly. And mine if you have such a loud mouth. Imagine what Massaiev or Dima would have done to him if they had heard him spilling the beans back in New Zealand. Goran is no better. 

“I have my own protection.” 

“You might but it won't be enough.” I told him seriously. “I love you too much to let you do this. We have to end it.” I said the awful words I've been thinking since I set a foot in Zurich. “It breaks my heart but it's for the best.” 

Altair was silent. I wanted to cry but my willpower kept my eyes dry. He squeezed my hands. 

“You can't leave your children.” Altair said. “But I can't leave you.” Sorrow overwhelmed me but I didn't know what to do to ease his pain. Once more I'm screwing up good people's lives. 

“We will meet in Geneva or Zurich until you have the divorce and full custody of your children.” Altair suggested desperately and it's horrible that he's joined officially now the “screwed good guys” club, just like Pedro, John, (part time) Fefo. No matter what he does, I can't let Goran and his pals come near him. They're already sharpening the sword. Goran was quite clear on that and Konrad just “reinforced” the message in his “aristocratic” way. 

Altair ignored all my previous warnings. It's not as if I can walk away from the Order. Konrad said that to me years ago and now I know it's true. 

“No.” 

“At your father's house,” he insisted.  

“It's insane. You'll get a bullet between the eyes.” From Goran himself the minute he sees him setting a foot ever again in Zurich. I can tell it.  

“Not from them, Guntram.” He told me very calmly. “I know who you are. We've heard about the Order before. Is it true that you control the... underworld?” 

That was a delicate way to put it; we thrive in scum. 

“Those are stories.” I told him because otherwise he would be a moving target for the Serbs regardless of the country he's in. Constantin already had him in his black list. “It's more like a gigantic business collusion scheme. One hand washes the other and the money rolls in to keep the machinery greased.” 

“Up to the mafia is afraid of the Order. It isn't easy to find anything out about you. The Americans were clueless until 2013.” Altair pressed me and I didn't like it a bit.  How the hell does he know about it? What was on the press were only speculations and rants. Nothing was ever proved against us. Yes, I realize now it is “us”. It's always been “us”. I'm one of them whether I like it or not. There's no place for Altair in my world and his presence would only harm my sons' lives. 

“Corruption is quite widespread in the financial circles.” I replied with calm coldness because I didn't like the turn our talk was taking. “If you have money, politicians don't mess with you.” 

Altair looked at me distrustfully, gauging my words and reactions. I'm still not very good at lying, though I've improved over the years. I hate to do this but I have no other way out, just like Konrad said. 

“You have my word that I'm not recording this,” he told me. 

“I know you're not a snitch for the FBI.” I told him and smiled but all my internal alarms were ringing loud and clear. “I trust you, Altair.” That sounded false even to my ears. I'll die before I say the words he was expecting me to. It's my boys' wellbeing what's on the line. Right there I saw his game; betray the Order in exchange for protection provided by… them? Arabs can’t keep their own from bombing their own cities. 

“Then why don't you say it?” He pressed me and I didn't like it at all. 

“There's nothing to say. I'm going now.” I rose to my feet. “I'll see what I can do for you in Zurich.” I lied hoping he uses this time to cool down and rethink his options when I give him the cold shoulder. It's for both our sakes. “Give me a couple of weeks.” I walked towards the door. 

He came to me and kissed me on the lips brief and mechanically.  “Alright. We'll see each other soon. I have to fly to Saudi Arabia for some business and family meetings.” 

I couldn't read his intentions anymore but that was what I've been looking for. A split, so I should be happy about it. I could “see” the growing wall between us. It felt as if we were oceans apart. It hurt like hell. 

“Yes, you do that. Don't lose your connections.” I told him and he kissed me again and put his hand on my nape, caressing it. I nearly melted down right there but I have to be strong. Constantin was right; water and oil never mix no matter how much you shake the bottle. We’re in different worlds and both are set to collide. 

“I'll rent a place in Zurich and we can meet discreetly,” he said but it sounded he was saving face after being dumped by me for the third or fourth time. To play along is the least I can do for his wounded pride. “It's not what I want for us but I'm patient and can wait until you're free again.” 

I kissed him and held to his neck. “I guess I can try to work a settlement with Konrad.” I lied to him, feeling dirty on the inside. I had just got an offer from his side-government (just as Constantin had said they would) and I had rejected it. I would have given everything up just for the chance of a simple life with him, but betraying my friends? No, that’s a price I’m not willing to pay. I stopped being a child the moment I kissed Konrad for the first time. 

We said good bye to each other and that was it. No cries, no shouts, no recriminations. We both know it's over but we keep up the façade so each one of us can carry on with his life. He'll go home and probably finds someone else once the dust settles down and I'll go “home” and look after my boys. 

So that's how true love ends; with a “see you later”. One simple lie is all what you need to kill it. 

Altair walked me to the door and it was surprising to see nobody outside. I walked about 100 meters when an Audi stopped next to me. 

Mirko, who else? 

I got inside the car without saying a thing. “I thought I fired you.” I said after he had driven some meters. 

Mirko only put his right index finger over his lips and I remained quiet for the rest of the ride. 

I had crossed the foyer when Marko jumped on me with something like a metal detector and began to frantically move it all over me. I nearly pushed him away but I saw Milan standing right there. 

The thing made a beep when it passed over my neck and Marko unceremoniously pulled something like a very thin coin from under the jacket's collar. 

I was shocked to see it. “He didn't put it.” I said automatically. The last I need is to have them on Altair's neck. He couldn't be so stupid! Even Altair’s people would kill him if his offer was recorded. 

“Tell that to my mama.” Milan snorted. “Mirko, take it,” he commanded and Mirko and Marko took the thing and disappeared. 

“We monitored your talk.” 

“Did you wire me too?” That was too much and how? 

“Your mobile. It starts to transmit everything after you turn it off. That's why we phoned you. We knew you'd do it.” Milan told me as if that was the most common thing in the world. “Russian technology,” he added after seeing my total dork face. Do mobiles work even if you switch them off? It seems so. 

“At least you know when to shut your mouth.” Milan sat in one of the chairs of the living room. “In case you're wondering, yes, we won't let you meet again with this little shit playing 007.” 

“He couldn't have done this to me.” I said to me because Milan couldn't care less. Now? What for? Altair had many occasions to do it before. Spy on us like that? That's childish. He must know we’re crazy about security after our run in with the Americans. Did he try to provoke a confrontation with my own people and make me run to him for safety? No, that didn’t sound like him. 

“See what happens if you cross to the enemy lines? Come on, Guntram. You're old enough to stop believing in unicorns. How did you meet with this guy? In a plane to London where he played the knight in a shinning armour when you were at your lowest. I'm surprised they're using one of their top figures to spy on us, but as they say, everything goes in love and war.” Milan told me off obfuscated, as if I were a child. 

“He can't be a spy.” Maybe Altair was spying to save his face in front of his own people. Spy on the Christian crusader. Silly but effective. It would have played out fantastically a year ago, save for the fact that Constantin’s cynicism opened my eyes. Even he, played for only one team. 

“You saw the bug by yourself. With your very eyes. Do you really think that Marko plays parlour tricks now and put it there?” Milan asked me ironically. “We'll keep this to ourselves and say nothing to Goran. You don't need more shit right now.” 

“Thank you,” I said quietly. “Maybe his family forced him.” 

“Maybe elephants can fly.” Milan mocked me. “Wait! There's Dumbo.” He frowned, upset that his metaphor didn't work so well as expected. 

“I spoke too much.” I felt very tired and sat on one of the damascene chairs in the foyer. My back hurt like shit. No, Altair wouldn’t betray me or get me into a mess with my own people; he knows the price I would pay if I were considered a traitor. Konrad or Goran wouldn’t turn a blind eye like they did when I was in New Zealand. I had nothing against them any longer and Altair knew it. That little thing could have been my execution sentence and Altair knew it. 

He knew it. 

“No, you stopped right there, Hochmeister. Where the mud began to splash. Guntram, what on earth makes you think that you, of all people, can have an adventure with a Muslim? After Marseilles? If the trash we met there knew who you are, they'd be thousands of crazy shits blowing themselves up in your garden.” 

“He knew who Repin was and about us. I tried to speak him out of snooping on Repin’s dirty laundry but he has been sticking his nose where he shouldn't have.” I told Milan the truth. “Constantin had him on his black list.” 

“That's why, by general rule, we don't mix with Muslims nor are politically correct, my friend. There's a reason for paranoia and being unpleasant.” 

“I'm an idiot.” That's what I'm supposed to say if I'm to “atone” for my sins, isn't it? Altair couldn’t have sent me to my own death. Not knowingly but on the other hand ‘if he isn’t mine, nobody else can have him’, isn’t that rare. Right? 

Milan was silent. 

“Why are you not telling Goran?” I asked. 

“What for? You didn't open your big mouth and left the place quite quickly,” Milan seemed to be amused by the way I had got the hell out of there after Altair pronounced the word “Order”. 

“We appreciate you and we cover our shit among friends. You said nothing about Antonov or about any of us when you could have had your revenge for what happened with your father. I swear to you that none of us knew that Lacroix was your father. We wouldn't have done it if we would have. Consider this as a fair exchange.” 

“Thank you,” I said feebly. “Which one of you did it?” I asked.

“We will never tell you for the same reasons that we won't tell Goran about what just happened,” Milan snorted. “Swear that it's over with this man.” 

“I'll never see him or contact him again. So help me God.” 

“Cheer up. Think that you almost screw it up with your boys.” 

“Should I be happy that I nearly abandoned them, just like my father did to me, for a bloody spy?” 

I wanted to shout Altair or hit him for being such an idiot as to put that thing for no reason. We have more security sweeps than an American President. It would have never worked. Was he threatened into it? Did he do it on his own after I broke up with him? Was it some kind of revenge? I don't now. Maybe he never loved me as I did and all was a farce to get close to me, just as Constantin had said. But why was he so stupid as to put me on guard when he said “Order”? He should have played along if he was a spy. 

Or maybe he wasn't a spy at all and was forced to play one. Maybe he's being blackmailed for his “special Christian friend”. He's in much danger than me if someone finds it out. He could trade his life for information about us. But Altair is intrinsically a good man, he would blow his cover up just to warn me. I know that, but he's in the middle of a game too. None of us is truly free. 

“You got a new heart.” Milan shrugged and my soul left my body because it was a great coincidence that that trader crashed his car and had my rare blood type. “Don't complain and get rid of that savior complex you've been carrying all these weeks.” 

“I just hope that this poor guy had a real car accident.” I whispered and felt sick at the suspicion that my heart may come from... I don't know.  

“Probably he did. Don't worry. The duke got this guy's wife and daughter out of the country and are under our protection. You never know what could have happened to them if they stayed there.” 

“Altair loved me.” I'm so stupid that I said that out loud. “Some things can't be faked. Maybe his family discovered it and he was forced to pull this stunt today. He never did anything like that before and none of your rooms in Abu Dhabi was bugged. Am I right?” 

“Yes, we found nothing there.” Milan told me. “But we always met at the Russians' place. We had nothing with us. Maybe that's why the guy did something so stupid as to put a microphone on you when the Arabs ran out of ideas. They aren’t the brightest people on earth.” 

“Maybe it was his way to warn me too.” I said softly. Altair was never an idiot. “What a tangled web we weave.” 

“Stay with your people. Follow the rules.” Milan told me. “It isn't about your safety only; it's your kids'.” 

“What about when I arrived home?” The horrid doubt assaulted me because I had spent a whole night with Altair. “I spoke with the duke.” 

“You had nothing on you.” Milan said. “We checked you before you got in the plane, remember the security guy at the bottom of the stairwell? One of ours.” 

“What should I do now?” I asked because I knew I was back in the foil and had to look for my own stall and be happy about the kind of hay on stock. 

“Nothing. Be nice to him as usual and break up in a month or two. You can speak with him on the phone. Give a little information about your personal business so he thinks you swallowed the hook. Don't meet with him in person. Mirko and Marko will be your shadows from now on.” 

“All right.” 

“Cheer up, seriously. The duke must think you were... you know. That.” 

“You're right. I don't want any more questions.” 

“That's the spirit. You catch on quickly once you're in the vibe.” Milan smirked at me. 

“Di Mattei phoned me or was it you?” I asked. 

“No, that was him. What are you going to do?” 

“Stop this nonsense. We need all the soldiers we can get.” I said calmly. 


* * *


Guntram de Lisle's diary

January 22nd , 2016 

Zurich


“In case of doubt, stay away,” used to tell me Friederich and how right he was. 

Tuesday afternoon late I took the plane back to Zurich. Monika wanted to send me the small jet but I rejected it. I also need to feel “human” sometimes. I live in a bubble and I know it. I mean, it was a strange feeling to be in Harvey Nichols and be forced to look by myself for the things I wanted. I didn't feel as much as an alien like I did when I was with Kurt at that McDonalds' but it was strange. 

Marko y Mirko were with me. I know their names sound like a funny duet but there's nothing funny about them: Marko is more human and speaks but Mirko, he's totally nuts. I really don't get why he's trying to get married if he's not happy at all with the idea of a wife. None of the Serbs would say a thing if he has a boyfriend. They didn't do it when he was with Fefo. I'm only happy that they broke up and Fefo is with John. He's a sane and decent man.

Mirko and I never truly got along but by the time we reached the airport, I wanted to shoot him dead. He was beyond paranoia, nearly pushing the guy at the airline counter because he “looked Muslim”. At the lounge, he didn't let me take anything and I really wanted a coffee from that espresso machine. He's still sore about the bug thing. It's not the first time he sees one, but maybe it's the first time it's one from an Arab. 

“Why don't you try the coffee first?” I asked him and the answer was: “If I die, how are you going to get home?” 

“May I go to the toilette?” I asked him already on the edge and he glared at me and came closer to me. “Really,” I huffed. “Are you going to hold it for me too?” Ok, that was truly rude but he was two fingers distance from a punch in the face. 

“Mirko, back off.” Marko said and the whelp settled down. 

I assumed I had permission to go to the loo in the business lounge. I walked there and guess who followed me? Mirko. 

“This is really over the top.” I told him. 

“No, it isn't. A foreign government tried to spy on us. The Duke was attacked in an airport.” 

I suppressed a sigh. Mirko has a trauma with airports since what happened in Buenos Aires. I let him follow me. Just when I was going in, a cleaner kept me back and we waited at the entrance while the guy cleaned I don't know what. Heathrow cleaners don't speak English at all. When he left, Mirko entered in the place first, as if he were a Spetnatz. 

“Enough bleach?” I asked Mirko when he finally moved aside. I was glad that nobody else needed to use the bathroom because we were putting quite a show on. He growled at me. Is that cause enough to complain to Milan about his manners?

He had the grace of leaving the place. 

When I was washing my hands and took a paper towel, I noticed a piece of paper falling from inside it. It was a letter. 

“Hassan is to be trusted. I'm so sorry for yesterday. We must split for now. Don't answer my calls. Sada'ni habibati, ya 'adri wo nassibi (Believe me my love, my fate is all my life).” 

I threw the paper to the toilette. Hassan was cleaning the corridors and doing a poor job of it. I nodded at him and returned to the lounge. 

I had all the flight back home to think about it. I'm sure now that Altair is in some kind of real mess with his people. They must be wondering why he is so keen on helping me (best case scenario) or maybe they know about us and saw our relationship as a way to get at us. Perhaps they know it from before I got the first watch. 

Or maybe he's just playing me because they know we know. 

I wish there would be anyone to talk about this but it’s lonely at the top of the food chain. I will have enough with Goran breathing on my neck because of Altair. 

Konrad will kill me if I ever mention again the idea of taking the boys anywhere near Altair and maybe he should.

I don't know how to handle this break up. Distance is for the best. It might help me to clear my thoughts and feelings. I can’t believe he betrayed or lied to me willingly but there's something else I can't grasp and I can't risk my neck on something that isn't a hundred percent sure. I should know by now that love isn't the best councillor regarding life choices. 

We arrived to Zurich very late and when I got home, the boys were already in bed so I didn't pass by the house. I asked to be driven back to my own flat as on Wednesday morning I had to meet with Enrico there. 

At 7 a.m. Enrico and Gorgazali were knocking at my door. I think Goran was still sleeping one floor below. They were ready to hold a peace conference in my kitchen with my breakfast still there, but at least I was already dressed. They got coffee, eggs and ham. Gorgazali found some pastries and helped himself. I know better than to tell off a Georgian mafioso for his lack of manners. 

“We're a bit surprised that you're working with the duke again.” Enrico went to the point. 

“We all must cooperate with each other, aside from our personal views. I never denied the natural chain of command inside our Order.” It was time to fix my late father's rubbish. “The de Lisles know our place within the Order.” I said. “I was your Hochmeister only because of an emergency and never intended to keep the office after our due leaders returned. My health would have never allowed it nor I wanted it. I never authorized anyone to speak in my name. All was a tragic misunderstanding and the duke and the Council understand it so.” 

“You are our Grand Master, Sire.” Enrico told me. 

“I'm only the guardian of the chalice. Our people should not place themselves in danger unless the cup is threatened and that hasn't been the case. You, Mr. Gorgazali, do you truly believe in this?” 

“I've seen things for which I have no logical explanation.” Gorgazali told me. “My predecessor was stupid enough to tamper with... forces that are not from this world. If such demons do exist and have a say in our lives, why God wouldn't exist? Trasgus are real.” 

I really don't get the guy. What the hell is a Trasgu? To my astonishment it isn't something from Georgia but from Asturias, Spain. Some kind of domestic demon who cleans the house and frightens the chickens. It doesn't look very impressive to me. Anyway. Whatever. Gorgazali seemed to be shaken by this mythological being and there aren't many things that can shake this man. 

Tarantato,” mumbled Enrico and I frowned. Witches? Are these guys for real?

“Our lands are in turmoil,” I said because I was still on this side of the sane world. Maybe they would come back too. “We must stand united. The Council offers you a full pardon and to retain your positions within the Order. I can guarantee you that this slip will be never spoken about or taken into account if you pledge your loyalty to us.” 

“Guntram. You can't say that!” Enrico told me. “Not after what happened with... your father. One of the last Perfect Ones.” 

“I can say this because he made a terrible mistake that could have cost us hundreds of lives, including my own children and mine. When our Lord told us to turn the other cheek, he meant to stop our desire for vengeance. To renounce to our right of taking the blood of those who had offended us.” I told them. “What will be achieved from a confrontation with the Order? How long will you be able to hold your territories without its support? We are in great danger from people outside our lands. You have already felt the pressure from Moroccans, Somalis and Arabs. They don't want to negotiate with us nor respect us. We had a system that used to work in the past and it has been improved over the past two years. I'm offering you my hand but it will only be once.” 

“Full pardon? No... “fines”?” 

“None. The duke has renounced to his right of blood regarding you.” 

“Will we have that in written?” Gorgazali didn't believe a single word and I don't blame him. 

“There will be a Council meeting where we will settle everything down. You'll be reinstated as Komturen.” 

“Just like in the other meeting?” Enrico asked me with a smirk. “You were lucky to get out alive.” 

“My life was never endangered because my conscience was clean.” I replied firmly. 

“Only a fool would trust your word.” Gorgazali told me. 

“Then you can set the meeting place. Bari?” I asked calmly. “You're here and let me remind you that Goran Pavicevic lives one floor below us.” 

“You're right,” Enrico said. “Don't you want to..?” 

“I only want peace so should you.” 

The looked at each other and I offered them to have the living room all to themselves to discuss whatever they wanted or come back later. They ran to my bathroom and opened the shower. No, I don't get any naughty ideas about those two; just getting the “microphones” off. 

“You offered the truce,” Gorgazali told me. “It's insufficient.”

“Do you make demands now?” I grunted because he's quite wrong if he thinks he's speaking with the “sweet dude” of this partnership with Konrad. “It's what it is. Take it or leave it.”

“We are ready for war.” 

“That's the most silly thing I've heard in months.” I told him and he seemed to be upset with me. “You have suffered several defections and we had enough trouble with Colombians because your predecessor couldn't keep them out of Ibiza.” 

“The trouble was because of you.” Gorgazali told me incensed. 

“I don't set stupid toll fees to new groups. That was your own doing. You know Goran and the way he thinks about rebels.” 

“Repin started the mess. He follows you everywhere, like a pup.” 

“Repin is dead. Killed by one of the executioners. He was able to go over Repin's entire security. The Ovcharki lived with their families there and this man, sneaked himself into an island, lived there for several weeks and killed Repin when he saw it right. Think on what they would do to your people.” 

“Is it true?” 

“One single shot to the head. In his own studio.” I told them. “The guy first killed the guard, stole his weapon and used a cushion as silencer. The staff sleeping in the house never knew what happened.” 

“How do you know this?” Enrico asked me. 

“Because I was there. Not physically because I was at the hospital but all this time I was with Repin. I never used his resources to go against the Order as you seem to think, Mr. Gorgazali. If I've made my peace with the Duke, then you should do the same. My children were sleeping in that house.” The big secret was out. 

“Shit!” Gorgazali swore. “Repin?” 

“François Arseniev at that time. He's dead, believe me. In an island near New Zealand.” 

They both looked unhappy and restless. “The Americans were protecting him and he was the one who sold us to them. The Order is still analyzing all the data that this man obtained from his safe and computers. There will be hell to pay for many people but you're not mentioned there. I know that you're faithful to our cause but were misled. Don't waste this opportunity to redeem yourselves.” 

They looked uncertain. “We have larger enemies than ourselves. Enrico, as your Grand Master I order you to cease all hostilities against your brothers.” 

“Yes, sire,” he said abashed. 

“We need their help and support to protect the chalice.” I told him and he nodded. “Gorgazali?” 

“Do I have your word?” 

“You have my word. I speak for the council.” 

“We would like to meet with the Duke and have his assurances.” 

“Tonight. Dinner at the castle. I'll be there.” I said. “Von Kleist and Pavicevic can be there too.” 

Both men seemed to be happy with the solution and left my flat. I phoned Monika and ask her to be sure to get Konrad at home for dinner. She took it the wrong way and thought it was something romantic. Fat chance! I then phoned Jean Jacques and told him we would have people over and that it should be a “duke orientated” menu. He got my meaning pretty fast. 

As I had the party “half started”, I needed to get the first guest; Goran. 

I went to his flat and Nicoletta was serving him breakfast. Well, leaving the coffee and running away while he read his newspaper in the kitchen. 

“It's you,” he told me as if I didn't know that already. 

“I've spoken with di Mattei and Gorgazali.” 

“When?” 

“Just now. They agree with our terms but want to speak further with us. Tonight. Dinner at the castle. The Duke, Ferdinand, you and me.” 

“You could say home and husband or former husband at least.” Goran seemed to be cranky that morning. I said nothing. “How was London?” 

I sat at his table -uninvited but it's been less than a month since I got the new heart. I still get tired easily-. “Financial or personal report is what you want to hear?” 

“Personal,” he told me coldly. “Have you given any thought to what I told you?” 

“To your threats? None.” I told him. “But you'll be pleased to hear that it is over. Your godson won't be invited to any Ramadan parties in the near future.” 

“You have some common sense left. May I ask why?” 

“It's none of your business but I will tell you because it concerns Milan.” 

Goran looked at me in shock. Did he assume that I was lusting after good, old Milan? Lord, they can be real pigs. 

“As you might know by now, I met with Altair at his house in London from 9 p.m to 10:30 p.m.” 

“That's correct.” 

“What Milan might have left out of the report -and I'm telling you now so you won't get paranoid over Milan or Mirko- is that when I left the house, I had a microphone glued to my jacket. I assume that our conversation was recorded too.” 

“What did you speak about?”

“Personal stuff about my divorce. Altair made a couple of hints about the Order's true nature and an offer of protection for me and my sons if I moved to their side of the world. I left the place as fast as I could. Milan must have a copy of it. We were also recording it. For me, this relationship is over. I will never see him again.” 

“So this is how we thought.” Goran said. “A spy.” 

“We don't know for sure. He was with me while I was out.” 

“Waiting for you to spill the beans.” 

“Dangerous business considering that he was intruding Constantin Repin's territory and that he royally screwed it up the only time I met him alone in New Zealand.” I said upset. Altair makes a very bad James Bond. “The problem we face now is that they know about us. Altair was looking for confirmation.” 

“They know about us since a long time. Mossad sold us to the Saudis but we fixed that problem too. Some days, I think that your guardian angel makes extra shifts to keep up with you, Guntram.”

“Why do you say that?” 

“Anyone else but you would already have a bullet in the brain after this.” Goran told me calmly. 

“You know where my loyalties lie. I just forgave you and sealed a peace  agreement with the people who wanted to help me to revenge my own blood. You'll get Spain and Italy back to the fold, so keep your cheap threats to yourself.” 

“I never questioned your loyalty, only your intelligence and common sense. Do you have a special inclination to ram your head against a wall? Whenever I think over things, it's easy to believe that there's something true about that legend of your bloodline being true Merovingians. You must have a court of guardian angels working for you to save your skin from the many, many troubles you walk in. I can only credit to God's divine intervention the fact that you're still alive, getting better and growing more powerful each day.”

That was the strangest thing Goran had ever told me and it was scary. 

“Goran, you were like a brother to me,” I said softly. “You accepted me when I was a little brat with no idea of the world and saved my neck countless times. You didn't act against me for the crimes my family committed against your father and never said a thing to me. You risked your neck for me in Latin America.” 

“Yet you ordered my father's execution because that is what it was: Treason. Only because you were my brother and are my son's godfather, I forgive you and I will never mention it again. You deprived your godson of his grandfather but this is something I will never tell him. For me, this feud ends here for both our sakes and the Order's.”

Goran examined me and I could feel his eyes making holes into mine. He extended his right hand across the table and I shook it, a bit hesitantly at the beginning but his hold was firm and honest. He rose from his chair, without letting my hand go and gave me a bear hug. 

“Welcome back, brother,” he told me as he patted my back a bit too strongly. I got stitches there too! From the first “heart” remember?

Finally, he released me and despite all what happened between us, I was glad that he still considered me as his friend. We went to his living room and sat together. Nicoletta, seeing that I was alive, decided to go shopping.

“I like your little one very much,” Goran told me. 

“Is it not too much for you? The piano lessons?” I asked him. 

“No, it isn't. I know he isn't Pavel. He has a great talent and a great musical ear. You should not stop him from taking music lessons.” 

“I won't but he won't be playing in public. I don't want him to be labelled a little freak.” 

Goran chuckled. “Too late. Your kids will shine by themselves no matter what you do. Look at Kurt. He's in the third grade when he should be only starting the first. Kostya can memorize a piece after it was played once. Their intelligence is well over the media.” 

“Must come from the mother's side.” I said and left it there. I know who she is now and her brains are by far larger than mine. She has never shown any interest on them and even if I wonder why, I'm not going to be the idiot who knocks at her door and asks her if she wants to bond with them. If they ask about her when they're grown up, I'll tell who she is. 

“Not really,” Goran said. “You've shown a lot of talent to lead the Order through stormy waters. That's why I don't understand why you insist on defying us all.” 

“I fell in love with Altair and he loved me back. It's hard for me to see the truth, right now.” I said though it isn't really true. Deep inside me, I know Altair didn't betray me on his own. I still need to know why he did it. The only logical motive he could have was revenge because I stood him up but that’s so unlike him that it must be his people who forced him. 

“Guntram, there’s a wide ocean between them and us.”

“Goran there are no reasons for falling in love. It just happens. Things with Konrad were very bad after he went to prison and then my father dies and he helped me and let's be honest. I'm alive because of him. I owe him my life and he never asked anything in return.” 

“You were about to throw your life to the winds. Would you have left your children behind? Your art? Your friends?” 

“No. I see that now.” 

That's the truth. Does love survive society conventions? For a while but not forever. I've seen that before. Though Konrad and I had similar views on almost everything, for me it was so hard to get used to this life and rules. We nearly broke up. I can't help wondering how it would have been with Altair. That stupid misunderstanding with the “fuck contract” was just the beginning. In that sense, Constantin was right. I can't imagine his family having me for Eid's night. Maybe they would, but it would be completely alien for them; forced even and I wouldn't stop thinking that I'm ruining the festivity for them. 

“Next time you want a boyfriend, we'll organize you a parade like the one you did for me.” Goran joked and I protested because it wasn't my idea in the first place. 

“I really don't want anyone right now. I've had enough for two lifetimes.” I replied earnestly. “I'd rather focus on my children and career. If it weren't because it's in my boys' best interests, I'd charge Konrad for all the work I'm doing for him. I don't even think I'm in the mega-bonus club.”

“Welcome to the slaves club.” Goran smirked.

“Is he always like that? Giving orders and not even bothering to check if you want to do it or not?” I asked. 

“Something like that, yes. But you still get 50% of what he makes. It's a nice amount.” 

Oh joy! “We're still arguing because of that. He doesn't sign the papers because he says he has to pay me too much money and doesn't have the cash. It's rubbish. He can sign and be rid of me.” 

“Why do you want to divorce if you aren't going to live with the Arab?” 

“Emirati,” I automatically corrected him. “Because it's the right thing to do?” I ventured. I really don't know why I'm really doing it now. To get the lawyers’ accounts fatter?

“Are you sure? The Duke doesn't want to divorce. Can't you wait for a little longer? Griffins are monogamous creatures according to the legend.” 

“Yes, he told me that once but I didn't believe it.” 

“Do you now?” 

Goran knows exactly how to hit the bullseye. Truth to be told, Konrad hasn't cheated on me since Marcello, even if he had the perfect excuse the past year. If we look at it from this perspective, I've been a lousy husband. Though I had cause to act like I did. 

“I do,” I whispered miserably. 

“Then put everything on hold. You don't need to hurry.” 

“Maybe I will,” I sighed. “But not the custody thing.” Well, that's ridiculous because if we are still married, he has custody of my boys. I need a lawyer to sort this mess out. 

“Take your time to think about it. Nobody is pressing you and see how it is, for the first time in years, to live free of disease.” 

I frowned at Goran because of his strange words. 

“Since you two are together, you’ve been very sick, Guntram. Now you're healthy again and look like it. You never were able to live your life to the fullest because you were counting pills or worrying if this or that would send you to the hospital. The Duke doesn't know you as a healthy person and you don't know him without being dependent of him. Don't take it wrong, but since I know you, you've been living with one foot in the grave.” 

Trust Goran Pavicevic to break any news in a diplomatic way. 

“I'm trying to put some distance to the grave,” was all that I could say. 

“Look at you now. You've been here for almost three weeks and have already solved several problems, fixed a serious schism within the Order and travelled to London. I'd bet all my money that you asked Monika or the butler to tell about tonight's dinner to the Duke.” 

“Don't bet your money because you’d make me go bankrupt.” I told him softly. “Yes, you're right. I'm evading him.” 

“Why? It's just business. Shouldn't we have a common strategy for tonight?”

I felt embarrassed to admit so. “Because of what happened in London.” I finally said. 

“The Duke won't say: “I told you so”. Ferdinand or I, possibly yes. Depends on what kind of day we're having.” 

“I know he won't. It's just it's embarrassing to discuss your former new love with your future former husband. It's weird.” 

“Why? There's no more love between you two.” 

Right. I've forgotten that Goran watches soap operas or something like that. He should fix his own romantic problems before lecturing me. 

“Yes, of course. We're done.” I said haughtily and Goran rose an eyebrow. He didn’t buy my words. “Maybe he's still a bit in love with me and I don't want to hurt him,” I admitted. 

“So you two don't hate each other, right?” 

“Goran, we don't need a marital counsellor; we need a team of divorce lawyers.” I told him clearly. “But you're right. I'll speak with him about tonight. I assume that he's at the bank right now. I'll ask Monika to make me a small hole in his agenda.”

6 comments:

  1. Tionne thank you very much! it`s fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koran: I am inevitable.
    Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guntram begins to suspect something... :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monika, please schedule a meeting me me with my husband. Office or home? Hmmm, let’s make it at home. Which room? Hmm…. Lol. Can’t wait for next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I'm looking forward to the next part, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer know what to think of Altair... Is he an arrogant son of a bitch or just a victim of circumstance here?
    Thank you for the intriguing chapter!

    ReplyDelete