Friday 2 April 2021

TS3 Chapter 8

 Chapter 8



October 8th, 2015 

Zurich 


Konrad's face showed no emotions at all and that concerned Ferdinand. Somehow the duke's office at the bank seemed to be bigger than it really was and despite the bright sunny rays filtering through the tall windows, Ferdinand felt cold. 

“So Antonov is in Abu Dhabi?” Konrad asked calmly. 

“I guess so. That's the last we heard from him. He said he was taking a leave to learn some Arab.” 

“Who authorized this? Was it you or Goran?” 

“Antonov just took his leave. We didn't authorize a thing.” Ferdinand answered nervously. “Look, maybe he's only learning languages. He likes that sort of things. He left you the cook.”

“I said very clearly that...” Konrad cleared his throat before he could continue. “That person is off limits. He's a good as dead for me. There is no need for your constant -and unsolicited- meddling in the matter.” 

“Konrad, you know how silly Guntram can be. Maybe...” Ferdinand started but Konrad rose his hand and he went mute. 

“Silly? Sure,” Konrad said sarcastically. “So silly that the Order's funds are at his mercy or half of our people could be incarcerated in less than an hour if he were to speak, starting by his “brother” Goran.” 

“Guntram was just bluffing. You know the boy,” Ferdinand said hurriedly. “He's afraid of your reaction and says stupid things, like always. Do you remember when he ran away without his medications?” 

“The “boy” as you call him was our Hochmeister for a few months and he made my own term look like a day in the kindergarten compared to all what he did.” 


“That was Antonov's...” 

“He gave and signed the orders. People are starting to speak, Ferdinand.” 

“Well, that one with the pig’s head, you can't really blame it on him. It's standard procedure.” 

“We might review those standard procedures if replacing human heads with pigs is the norm nowadays.” 

“Pork is ISIS' kryptonite. So what? They found a few bodies and understood the message. You can't blame him for the trouble in south Italy with the immigrants. They went too far with their petty thefts and drugs and collided with Enrico di Mattei's people. Shootings were bound to happen. That's certainly not Guntram's fault.” 

“Di Mattei is his fault. The man does not respond to us any longer and he's rising the others against me. We lost a whole team of executioners because of him. It never happened before. Di Mattei sides with Guntram and will only lay down his arms if he tells him so. We can't let these people leave the Order.” 

“If Goran wouldn't have tried to kill him, maybe we could be negotiating at this point but mafiosi take this kind of things a little hard.” Ferdinand smirked. “He likes the boy, that's all.” 

Maybe you could...” Ferdinand trailed, unsure of articulating the next words. 

“Fix it with Guntram? Very good idea, Ferdinand. I can phone him and ask for his forgiveness. He shouts with me for a while and then, I ask him to calm down the little army of fanatics and heretics that believe they're our Lord's arm,” Konrad seethed. “Never before the Georgians gave me any kind of trouble and now,  suddenly they all have turned into some kind of Templar Knights.” 

“We have to make our peace with Di Mattei and Gorgazali. The Georgians nearly killed our own people when they set a foot in their territories. Freezing their accounts won't help, Konrad. They have enough ammo stored to fight World War Three.” Ferdinand said emphatically and took a deep breath in. 

“I love you like a brother but I have to tell you this; you're being childish with your refusal to speak to Guntram. Antonov is right to look for him. We need him to end this internal war. Guntram would never approve all this senseless violence. We have to stand together and you have to swallow your pride and speak with the boy before it's too late.” Ferdinand spoke his mind and took a deep breath in. Goran was right, someone had to tell it to Konrad.  

“Your office depends on that.” Ferdinand added softly when Konrad didn't react to his words. 

The silence was overwhelming and Ferdinand felt an imaginary clock trumpeting inside his head. His own breathing was too loud.

“It took us some time to get used to the idea, but you two are a team, whether you like it or not,” Ferdinand pushed his luck once more. “You should support Antonov in this. That crazy Russian knows his craft.” 

“So that's the Council's opinion?” Konrad asked ironically. “Get de Lisle back so he cleans up our own backyard?” 

“I'm afraid so,” Ferdinand mumbled miserably. “Unanimous.” 

“No nays to the matter?” 

“None.” Ferdinand gulped. “We are about to lose Spain and Italy... and Eastern Europe if those two succeed.” 

“Very well, proceed as agreed by the Council.” 


* * * 


October 25th, 2015 

Auckland


'Is he an idiot, a love-sick puppy or just a brat?' Alexei thought as he heard the bodyguard's tale about his hellish morning with the “Christian bitch who slammed the door on his face per her master's orders”. 

'This sheik has so much to learn if he wants to enter in the Guntram Zone.' Alexei nodded sympathetically to man and ordered another round of cake and coffee. 

“It's a waste of time and money to give such things to people like this guy,” Alexei said evenly. “It's a very good watch. Could be used somewhere where it's appreciated or the money being spent on something more pious.”

“Inshallah, brother.” The man pouted. “I'm so sick of this.” 

“It's our burden in life,” Alexei sighed. “At least you're coming home earlier.” 

“Mashallah, brother. I wish I had another job but this one pays very well. Why can't he stick to the ones he has at home? No, he has to run after a Christian that goes to Church every day. It will only cause him pain but it's his fault for not following the Holy Book.”

'Yes, that's our Guntram. Which church would that be?' “Are you leaving today, brother?”

“I don't know,” the man shrugged. “Probably. His Highness doesn't take well rejection and think on me when I break the news to him.”

Alexei nodded sympathetically again and shook hands with the bodyguard, telling him that he would stay studying in the cafe for longer. The man looked totally miserable and Alexei felt sorry for him. 'Lousy masters are the worst you can get in this life.' 

When he was sure that the bodyguard's car was well far away, he closed the app with the Holy Qur'an and opened Google, looking for the Catholic churches' services in the area. The three days he had spent lurking in different restaurants and cafes, he had not been able to catch a glimpse of Guntram or any of the Chechens he knew so well. 

'Maybe it's time to return the favor to loverboy Brad. He wouldn't mind a conversion if he catches the fat duck. The guy must be tired of not finding anything stable.' 

'Clever hooker.' Alexei nearly grinned at the memory of the blond, baby looking young man who was a “second best” for his prey. 

'Little bird told me A. was dumped by his boyfriend. Good hunting. Love, Volodia.' he wrote on his mobile phone and this time grinned like the Cheshire cat. 

'Nothing like an abandoned, desperate brat to make a killing,' he thought satisfied. 'Brad will get this Altair off our backs for the time being and the duke will have clear skies with Guntram.' 

The reply was quick: “ ;-)

'Clever hooker, no doubt. I only have to see what Guntram has been up to.' 

'Time to bribe the doorman.' 


* * *

 

October 31st, 2015 

Auckland


“You really took your time this time,” Guntram huffed when he saw Constantin cross the glass windows to the terrace. 

“You missed me?” Constantin smirked. 

“You said three days and it took you a week to take the helicopter to come here.” 

Constantin coughed a couple of times and shrugged. “I was with the boys and you were shopping with the women. Nothing for me.” Constantin closed the distance to Guntram and grabbed him by the waist. “Besides I was visiting the doctor. Time for the annual check up.” 

“Everything fine?” Guntram kissed Constantin briefly on the lips. 

“I should smoke less or better, quit it.” 

“Well, those things are cancer sticks, not cigarettes.” 

“Maybe,” Constantin answered darkly and fixed his eyes on the waters below them. “How was your week? All cried out? Happy again?” 

Guntram punched Constantin playfully on the chest and the other grimaced in false pain. 

“You were afraid of me.” Guntram laughed when he realized the truth. 

“I'm too old to survive one of your tantrums, angel.” 

“You ran away,” Guntram accused his lover and chuckled. “It wasn't that bad and I was saving the best for you. Now, it's gone.” 

“I was afraid of that,” Constantin sighed dramatically and Guntram laughed again. “What did you get as compensation present?” he asked as he sat on one of the large outdoor sofas. 

“How do you know that?” Guntram asked genuinely surprised. “I don't know. I asked the cleaning lady to send whatever it was back.” 

“Guntram, now you're being childish. Forget it and give him another chance. I bet the guy phoned you several times.” 

“Yes, he did,” Guntram sat next to Constantin and laid his head over the man's shoulder. “It's over,” he sighed. 

“Why? You took so much more from us.” Constantin asked truly intrigued. “Now you're behaving like a twelve year old on his first crush. Shit happens and grown up people overlook it.” 

“He killed the romance.” Guntram replied absent-minded. “I was a fool.” 

“We all go through a crush stage before we really see if what we have is love. You fought with him over something and now is time to forgive him and carry on.” 

“Are you his lawyer now?” Guntram frowned. 

“No, he can take a hike for all what I care. I'm more concerned that you become depressed or sad because he's a toad and not a prince you thought.” 

“Was it not the other way around? You kiss the frog and you get a prince?” 

“You never do things like normal people. I was kissing frogs before I met you. It was a very large pond indeed.” 

“Am I a frog now?” Guntram burst into laughter. “Which one?” 

“Some days you're a nice green frog, some others you're a golden poison dart frog. Fortunately for me, you're a peaceful green one now.” Constantin bent his body over the coffee table and served himself some iced tea the maid had left. “Must be your diet, just like with the frogs,” he joked and drank the tea, hoping the coldness would seethe the soreness and aching in his throat. 

Constantin only wanted to relax and muse over his visit to the doctor's office. At least he knew why he had been feeling so tired over the past months and it had had nothing to do with his writing or living with Guntram. 

“Why did you go to the doctor? You visited one when I was at the hospital, right when I signed the papers for being included in the transplant list.” Guntram asked, lifting his head from the shoulder it had been resting upon. 

“I'm getting old, that's all,” shrugged Constantin. “Nothing to worry about.”  

“Is it because of that cough you have since weeks?” 

“Partly. I got some pills for it. It's nothing. I was doing other things too. Lawyers and accountants; that kind of wildlife. Dima wanted to start an early hunting season after he saw them. Shall we go tomorrow to the museum?”

Guntram watched the waves crashing against the shore and got lost in their beauty. Constantin was there and he felt closer to him than never before. Constantin put his hand over Guntram's head and petted it lovingly as the young man relaxed into their embrace. 

“I'm not lying when I tell you all is over with Altair,” Guntram intoned softly. “I'm not the kind of man with a lover in each port. I can only be with one person at a time.” 

“It was just a lovers quarrel.” Constantin said. “Forget it.” 

“I was thinking a lot this week,” Guntram continued without paying attention to Constantin's words. “I really thought about things and despite you're a psycho, you were the person who did all what he could to make a better person out of me. You gave me my kids, my art and even my maturity. You never quitted on me.” 

“That's my definition of love,” Constantin said softly and smiled sadly. 

“You were never like Konrad whom I loved dearly, yet I loved you in a different way. I won't ever speak to Altair again and maybe we can live together happily for the rest of our lives. I don't want anyone else in my life but you.” 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Tionne! It's getting more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Conrad! Fate is cruel to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end of the chapter made me cry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo don't tell me Constantine gonna leave us soon? :(((((

    ReplyDelete