Friday 19 October 2018

TS3 Chapter 6


Chapter 6


Guntram de Lisle's diary 
April 18th, 2014, Good Friday


Some things never change like the annual Dino invasion. Although this year their numbers are smaller than before and the Dinos are younger (or I'm getting older), they're here. It's a bit concerning that I consider to be “young” the average age of fifty, but there is nobody like the Prinz zu Löwenstein anymore. Before there were about a hundred fifty guests but now Jean Jacques has to cook only for sixty-eight people. 
“We did a long due clean up, Guntram,” told me Goran and who Am I to disagree? Nobody because I'm “jobless” so to speak; I lost my “Consort” title and I am out. 
Really out. 
Not even invited to the Mass. Guys, I'm still catholic. 
Not that I was ever in.


I sought refugee at Michel's house. Fairuza cooks well and after fighting to keep my youngest quiet in the Mass at Liebfrauen, I needed some peace, a good meal and a large yard to get my three sons to loose some steam. To put the boys in the flat or taking them somewhere was too much for me. I've been feeling very tired lately and I still have to deal with the bank's lunch on Sunday. 
Michel moved to Zurichberg and has a nice villa there. I packed the boys in the car after the Mass and good old Ratko drove us there. 
My father greeted Klaus and Karl warmer than usually. Perhaps he's getting used to the idea that he has to live with them or is just burring the axe again. The boys smiled at him and hugged Fairuza because she's genuinely nice to them (a bit on the bossy side, but that's good)
Lunch went well and we had a repas français -as Fairuza calls all food that is not Moroccan- very nicely done and there was no crying or anything when the inevitable mayonnaise homard showed up. 
The only problem is that Kurt has chosen his pet now; he wants a living lobster. We had a little crisis but nothing that couldn't be solved. 
The three boys behaved very well but after dessert, I knew I had to send them to the garden to burn as many calories as they could. 
I was nearly asleep on my seat -a lobster, fish and some sweet buns with mango ice cream do that to you- when my father asked. 
“How's everything?” 
“Fine,” I said sleepy and at that moment I knew I had screw it up big time. Answering “fine” to anyone in this place is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I have to switch to something else. 
“So bad?” my father replied softly. “Troubles with Lintorff?” 
How the hell does he know it? We only had a “heated exchange of opinions”. I telling him to keep his paws off my artistic career with the Russian mess and he telling me that it is “A Service you are Rendering to the Order in our Quest to Forge an Alliance with the Mighty Trans-Gaz conglomerate”. Result; I have to paint something very nice or face Goran and tell him why I am not willing to do “such a small thing”. 
“Nothing for you to call the lawyers in, father.” I barked back because I truly hate to be cornered after lunch. “Just an exchange of artistic opinions.” I said softer. 
“Will you send Kurt back to that school again?” 
“No, he's doing very well with Konrad's former teacher. I'm surprised of how quickly he progresses with only a few hours of studying in the morning.” 
“I've known Friederich Elsässer for longer than you, Guntram.” Michel told me very haughtily and made me feel like I was seven years old again. “If he could civilize a Lintorff, then he's an excellent teacher.” 
“Why was he never named councillor or something?” 
“I don't know. Your grandfather was always telling that you could literally feel his shadow looming over you during the meetings. The old Karl Heinz was not even lifting a finger without consulting with him first.”
“Friederich has been an excellent friend, support and advisor for me. I see a father in him.” I said and waited for the Hiroshima explosion but nothing happened. 
“I'm glad he has agreed to look after my grandchild in the mornings. He will learn more with him than in any school you could find,” he answered. “I've noticed his use of German has improved quite a lot.”
“But it sounds a bit old-fashioned. I'm only afraid that one day, I will find Kurt writing with a pen and a quill.” 
“Will that be so bad?” 
“I don't think so.” 
“If Elsässer agrees to it, you should leave the boy with him. A school is not so important at this point. He will learn nothing in Kindergarten.” 
It's nice to have some support after our “strong disagreement about our children's education” because Konrad thinks that I'm depriving “his baby” from the noble kind of education he deserves (a fancy school for “gifted” children) I saw the teachers there and, I'd rather send him to the forest and let him become wild than in there. 
Only Friederich's intervention avoided a bigger clash with Konrad. He only said; “My Duke, I would be very disappointed if the young prince is to be taken away. I feel twenty years younger since his education has been entrusted to me.” With that, he literally froze Konrad's tantrum as he's terrified of losing Friederich because of his age. So Kurt will have to sit with Friederich from 8:30 a.m up to 12:30 p.m. and learn till summer and then, we will see. 
“Contrary to my original belief, the whole thing is going very well,” I said to my father. 
“I know. Elsässer phoned me to tell me about the changes in Kurt's education and asked for my opinion regarding his plans.”
Now I know why Friederich was the real power behind the throne; he helped me to get away with murder in front of Konrad's eyes and disbanded the other front before said front realized it had a casus belli. 
“The child will not feel alone as he's got his brothers to play with.” My father said and I nearly fell off from the chair. He considers Klaus and Karl as his sole grandchild's brothers? I couldn't believe my ears. 
“So the problem between you and Lintorff can't be Kurt's education.” He finished his deductions. 
“No, it isn't any longer. Artistic differences.” I repeated a bit drier than intended. 
“Have you asked him about what I told you?” 
“Excuse me?” 
“Augsburg. It's been almost three months since then.” 
“No. This isn't the best moment to say; “Konrad give the Holy Grail back to my family”.” 
“We are not certain of that.” 
“I am very certain that he will explode when I mention it.” 
“I said, we are not a hundred percent certain that this is the Holy Grail, Guntram.” 
“Do you change your version again?” I couldn't help to ask. “Do you normally try to drive the judge mad as part of your legal strategy?” 
“The cup didn't include a certificate of authenticity. Nevertheless, Lintorff should give it back to us.” 
“Is it or is it not? It's a simple question, Michel.” 
“I cannot guarantee you that this is the original artifact. I think nobody in this world could, yet there are many evidences that point to its authenticity.” He answered me in his best lawyer's voice. 
“Do you believe it is?” I got some genes out of the lawyer. 
“Yes, it is.” He stated without hesitation. “You must judge it by yourself.” 
“I will speak with Konrad after Easter. He's too stressed at the moment.” I agreed laconically. The hell I need to have another confrontation and peer inside the bank's vaults. Creepy place. 
“So what is the cause of the tension between you two?” 
I could have said:  “none of your business” but instead I said: “A portrait for the President-Daughter of Trans-Gaz.” 
“Excuse me?” He gaped and blinked at me. 
“I'm supposed to paint the portrait of a young lady along with her falcon so my husband and Goran can be best buddies with her father. I really don't know why they're so good-friends with one of Repin's friends or what's in there that they're so eager to get me to paint her.” 
“There's a lot in Russia to catch the Order's eye. I'm surprised by their choice of allies, but in a way, it's the logical step. I imagine Lintorff's sympathies lie nearer to Moscow than to Washington, that den of lodges and masons.” That part came out a little too sarcastic for my taste. 
“Goran's sympathies, Michel. Goran's. He's in charge and Konrad has not much to say on any matter any longer. He's at the Council's meeting today because they can't kick him out of his own house.” 
“Retirement is proving hard for him?” 
“Very,” I said the truth. 
“He should look for a hobby.” 
Yes, he should, but there's nothing that catches his fancy, with the exception of sitting along with Goran and planning who knows what. Maybe I should give him some painting lessons. 
“I'm supposed to paint the thing and hand her over to Tita von Olsztyn, but the truth is that I like the lady and I'm not sure if I will be up to do something good for her. I've been through a very bad season these past months.” I confessed and he only shrugged. Thank God that he left me alone.  
I used to take things more seriously in the past, but in the past four years, I can count with my hands the times I really thought about Jesus by myself. When I was nineteen, going to Mass was a source of joy and now... I'm happy if I can successfully evade it, afraid of the “after hour” that ensues the minute Pater Bruno says ite missa est. 
Since our marriage, we both prefer to keep distance from the Communion to avoid trouble with Pater Bruno. He wasn't happy with our marriage but understood our reasons to do it because we want to keep the boys together if something happens to one of us. We got the full reprimand and preach about refraining ourselves from impure acts. Considering how low our libido is and how tired we both are all the time, he could have well saved it. 
Fortunately, the rest of the afternoon went by without major problems; the boys played in a civilized way, nothing was broken and enjoyed a story in German Michel told them.
At eight, they were dead on their feet and I drove them home where the meeting was still taking place. I put the boys to bed and ran away to our private rooms where guess who was there?
Konrad. 
Pissed off to no end. 
He was kicked out of the meeting as the councillors had to make a decision over something. Goran has chosen Adolf zu Löwenstein as Magnus Commendator and Alexei Antonov as Summus Marescalus. The other five are Michael Dähler, Albert von Lintorff, the head of England, the head of France, the head of the German speaking countries and then, Goran added two Komturen for the first time in history. Konrad was kicked out as they needed his chair (and we all know good ol' Konrad will understand it). 
“Goran threw you out?” I asked in total disbelief. 
“Yes, he did. Right after he named Antonov, he called for a restructuring of the Council based on a geographical basis. This is not what I had in mind, Guntram.” 
“Who was named in your place?” 
“St. Claude, no objections there; Lapièrre for France and Wischermann. On top, Goran named two Komturen!”
“No way!” 
“Yes, Gorgazali from Spain as he's very close to the Russians and comes from Georgia and Di Mattei from Rome. Goran didn't forewarn me at all! I just looked like an idiot when he asked me to step down from my “new position”. I'm sure the others knew it because Albert, Adolf and Dähler didn't look surprised at all. I had to swallow my pride and accept it, but on Tuesday, he will hear me!” 
“On Tuesday Goran will be very far away, like Iceland or New York, waiting for you to calm down. Once you're calmer, they'll come back. They have been playing that game on you since I met you. I'd be surprised if there's anybody on Tuesday at the bank, with the exception of Monika, of course.” 
“Ferdinand was aware of all this! I'm sure!” 
“Of course he was, and then decided that Easter was a wonderful time to visit his political family in Colombia.” I sighed tiredly. “He will be back in two weeks, remember?” 
“This time it will not be that easy to... get rid of me!” 
“I bet Goran waited for the associates to go home and then did it.” 
“Not really. It was quite a public humiliation.” The smile on his lips was forced. Konrad was deeply wounded in his pride and after all, it was his family the one who funded the tree-house club. 
“Then he waited for me to return home to pick up the pieces.” I mumbled. “I'll talk to Goran tomorrow.” 
“There's no need for you to beg for a job for me.” 
“They're eight and the Code clearly states the Hochmeister and his Council must be nine to twelve members. Without you, he risks another schism and we already are quite decimated at the moment. We need the “old touch of aristocracy” to look good in front both of the Komturen and the business world. If somebody has to clip Goran's wings, that should be me.”
  Yes, that's true because Konrad is too proud to protest. He will sink along with the Titanic before calling the fishermen's boat for help. On top, Konrad doesn't pay much attention to what's going on these days or keeps everyone in line like he used to do. Ferdinand says age is catching up with him. 
“He will not hear you,” Konrad told me sourly and at that moment, I knew I had to get the artillery out because our Goran is a bit out of line since he got “the crown” and literally stomps all over us. Like me and this portrait business. Last time I checked, I never swore to be the Court's Painter or the Ladies' Jest.  
I went downstairs and “The Council of Eight” was still locked in the    meetings-hall reserved for the Order. At the door were Milan and Mirko standing guard. 
“Hi, Dachs,” Milan greeted me happily and Mirko grunted something friendly. “Not finished yet.” 
“I want to speak with Goran,” I replied softly. 
“Maybe tomorrow,” he told me with a shrug and I sat in the Louis XIV chair that it is in front of the door. 
“Tonight,” I said and waited for two hours as “the guards” were getting more and more nervous with my presence and I really don't understand why because I felt cold like an iceberg. 
Goran and the others came out and nervously greeted me, Albert, Adolf, Alexei, Michael and St. Claude quickly said goodbye and vanished into thin air. I was introduced to the two Komturen and the Georgian was more than eager to leave when he saw me. I don't understand what got into him. 
“It looks like I have the pest.” I said to Goran when we were alone. “Gorgazali was not even able to hold my gaze.” 
“It's your eyes. Nothing to worry about,” Goran shrugged. 
“My eyes?” Are mobsters afraid of blue eyes? That's a good one. 
“After some problems they had in Spain, some of them are afraid of people who look like you. Just superstitions to cover their incompetence. They lost their previous leader in a... funny way. Still trying to find out what did really happened. And you look at people in a disturbing way too.” 
“We should speak in the library. It's quiet there.” I said instead and didn't wait for Goran to excuse himself. During the past two hours I was boiling up some heat as I thought more and more about the treatment Konrad had been subjected to... and all of us too. I love him like my brother not like my master.
Goran followed me to the library and entered as I held the door open for him. I took Konrad's place without thinking about it. 
“I understand there has been some redesigning at the Council.” I said and Goran opened his mouth but I continued. “Konrad von Lintorff has been a pillar of this institution for more than thirty years. I think he deserves better.” 
“First, it is not your privilege to discuss these matters with me.” Goran answered me. “And second, his time is over.” 
“I do think it is my privilege to discuss this.” I replied. “I suggested your name for this office. I don't challenge your choice of councillors and I even applaud it but to keep the Duke out is a serious mistake.” 
“The probation year is well over, Guntram. I can choose my own Council.” 
“Of course you can,” I said, “but following the Code. Nine to twelve councillors, Goran.” 
“Nobody follows that old, outdated rule.” 
“The Code is what keeps us alive. Didn't you say that once?” I replied. 
“The Duke is not what we need at the moment; he's too conciliatory in his ways. We need more strength and no hesitations.” 
“The Duke still holds the favor of a large majority of the Order's members. Well, at least the legal part of the Order.” I shot back. 
“As the Duke KNOWS is the other part what truly makes the difference, Guntram and they back ME. Without them, there is no Order.” 
“A seat as councillor for the Duke will be the perfect way of keeping both sides together because you need his expertise and his allies' companies to keep your side of the Order happy and profitable. One vote out of nine can't hurt you much, and he would never contradict you in front of the others.” 
“Ever heard “The King is dead. Long live the King”?” 
“It was an abdication, Goran.” I barked and he looked surprised at my tone. “I resent very much the way you're treating my husband.” I preferred to take the matter to a family field. 
“Konrad would never stop supporting you and yet you treat him like a dog.” 
Goran inhaled deeply and gave me one of his looks. He needs to take lessons from Constantin to know how to cast death upon you.
“Those are harsh words indeed, Guntram,” he warned me. “You are nothing more than a simple member addressing his Hochmeister.” 
“Your acts are harsh, Hochmeister.” I replied. “Harsh and rash in your quest for power.”
“You are overstepping your boundaries. Remember who you are.” 
“I perfectly know who I am. A de Lisle. Your Order would be nothing more than a glorified Mafia without the legitimacy our family provided.” I growled back and Goran's pupils widened for a second and I knew that he knew about all what my father had told me. 
“Besides, I'm Konrad von Lintorff's husband and fifty percent of all of his assets belong to me by marriage. I can be a financial stone in your shoe, Hochmeister.” 
“You wouldn't dare and your husband wouldn't allow it.” 
“We will see, Hochmeister. You have pushed the Duke out of the Order. His resources don't belong to you any longer.” 
“You wouldn't last a second in a battle against us.” 
“Who showed Michael what to do in 2007?” I reminded him and he paled. “I can come up with something similar and I know where to hit all of you.” 
“Where do your loyalties lay?” he spat the words.
“Along with my family,” I told him. “Is Konrad to be back or not?” I pressed. 
“Maybe there's something true in what Gorgazali says about people like you. Witches,” he mumbled.
“Do we have an agreement or not?” I barked. 
“Fine! If it is so important for you that your husband keeps his place in the Council, he can have it back. I will tell the others.” 
“Thank you, Goran.” I answered softly. 
“Don't give me that. Your soft manners after you stabbed me in the back,” he answered back. “I put my life on the line for you and this is how you repay me. Friends don't do that and much less brothers.” 
“Brothers don't betray their brothers' families,” I snapped. “Konrad would have sat in the corner and stayed put, but you had to slap him in the face.” 
“I will not forgive this any time soon, Guntram.” 
“Neither will I.” 

* * * 

April 20th, 2014 
Easter Sunday 


At least something turned out well. As I said to Jean Jacques, he must be Babette's lost son because his lunch made almost everyone happy. I congratulated (in private) Alexei because of his promotion and he was a bit nervous around me. Not dry but one could tell he felt uncomfortable around me. 
After Mass (as agreed, Konrad and I didn't take Communion) our high and mighty councillors disappeared with Konrad and I had to deal with all the bank employees. I was glad Elisabetta was there to give me some support. Michel, didn't join us no matter if Konrad had invited him. 
Konrad and the others came back a few minutes before lunch and he winked at me, happy and whispered “I'm back” before he followed the other guests. 
“Guntram, I didn't know you could squeeze other people's balls so efficiently.” Albert von Lintorff told me and I had troubles to keep a polite smile on my face. “Other people besides Konrad's,” he giggled. 
“I squeezed nothing. Perhaps the trousers were not fitting at all.” I replied and Albert chuckled. 
“I'm glad you're not in the Council and on our side. This move from Goran could have split the Order in two.” 
“That's what I'm trying to avoid.” I replied. 
“Would you really have waged war against us?” 
“What do you think?” I answered. 
“That you look more and more like your grandfather.” 
“I'll take that as a compliment.” I answered sharply. “You know that I'm loyal to Konrad to my last breath.” 
“I know that, Guntram. Thanks for doing what we didn't have the courage to do,” he shook hands with me. “Lots of people were very angry at me on Saturday. Goran is very upset with you,” he warned me. 
“I'll try to fix it with him.” 
“It will not be easy. He's a man to hold a grudge for years.” 
“I know,” I sighed. “But he had no right to treat Konrad like that.” 
Goran did a good job of ignoring me all the time and I got a bit carried away and ignored him too. I sent Kurt to see his godfather with Birgitte and I heard him telling Goran that he wanted a living lobster for pet. Maria Antonieta was kind as always to the baby and she invited him for tea at her shop for next Wednesday if he's super-good to Friederich. 
Late at night, Konrad was driving me mad with his nonstop talking about the Order and his plans. He told me that Goran had reconsidered his decision and that he had made him councillor for the economical and financial matters. I'm afraid Konrad's advise will not be very much on demand but at least he's happy to be back in the tree-house. 


See you next Friday!!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you a lot for the new chapters ))
    It seems as if Goran is one who was kidnapped by the aliens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ou, Tionne...
    Wish you health, wish you happiness, wish your all dreams become true!!!
    Thanks a lot for your works!
    We*re reading with pleasure (by Griffin K v L translation), and sending a love to you from the motherland of Konstantine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tionne,
    So glad you're fine! wish you health and happiness.
    Happy to see the adventures continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been waiting so long to continue, it's a miracle you're back. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!! Glad to be rejoining the boys and their adventures.

    " “After some problems they had in Spain, some of them are afraid of people who look like you. Just superstitions to cover their incompetence. They lost their previous leader in a... funny way." hahah no kidding!!! XD

    Glad to see you posting again!

    Love, L.S.

    ReplyDelete