Thursday 28 August 2014

Mr. Koiranos' Visitor

Chapter 18



The humming sounds of a woman singing along with the clatter of dishes, felt akin to Julian. In the many years he had spent living with Orion, he had never seen guests and much less any other women than Lucia or the cleaning ladies in the house. For some unexplainable reason, Orion didn't like to have women around; he tolerated their presence, but kept distance from them.
A singing girl, carelessly placing the china on the table could prove too much for his lover's patience. Julian finished dressing and hurried to the dining room to stop her.
“Keep it quiet, will you?” he asked Paula. “Mr. Koiranos dislikes noises.”
“All right. I'm finished,” she shrugged and contemplated the table. “Lucia told me to use this service. Is it all right?”
“I guess so,” answered Julian, watching the unknown delicate china. “Do you need help in the kitchen?”
“No, thanks. Everything is under control. You shouldn't trouble yourself,” she said and quickly vanished into the service area.
Still unease, Julian contemplated the table set with three places and wondered about the odd disposition. The two heads of the table were taken and there was one place to the right of one of them. He imagined that would be Orion's and his places. His hand went automatically to his neck and briefly touched the lion cave figurine hidden under his turtleneck dark brown sweater.
In the living-room, Orion sat reading a book with Lýkos at his feet.
“Did he dine?” Julian asked softly.
“Not yet. He will stay with us. I told the girl to serve him tonight in the dinning room.”


“Very well,” answered Julian and turned around.
“Come over here, little one. You are still upset with me.”
“I don't like to be strangled, Orion,” Julian said from the door.
“I apologise if I hurt you. It was done with my best intentions.”
“Strangling people can never be done with best intentions. I swear I did nothing or even had the intention to do something with that old guy! He was looking like a teacher! Ew!”
“There are many things you still don't understand, my love.” The last two words had an hypnotic effect on Julian and all his resentment dissolved. Obediently, he walked towards Orion and knelt at his side.
“You are troubled, but you shouldn't be. All this will be just a flash in time,” Orion said softly as he caressed the soft bangs, enjoying how the boy put down his barriers, letting him once more be one with him. “You will see,” he added softly, levering his head to kiss him.
The roaring sound of a car killed their kiss and Julian rushed to the window to see the visitor.
“That's a Tesla, wow,” Julian said as he admired the sleek car parked at the entrance. “Didn't know they existed outside the magazines.”
“What is that?” Orion asked nonchalantly, taking Julian by the waist to move him away from the window.
“An electrical car. Very expensive and very trendy. All hotshots at Google have one.”
“That is not a surprise,” Orion mumbled as he moved further away from the window and heard the distant voices greeting his visitor. “He always made a point of standing out,” he added miserably.
“Who's coming?” whispered Julian.
“My version of your brother. It can't be avoided. Keep your distance.”
Julian was mesmerized by the visitor's appearance. He stood taller than Orion, with Lýkos standing by his side, licking his right hand with a servitude gesture he had never seen replicated in Orion's favour. He seemed to be of the same age as Orion, same sturdy built body, grey eyes but his hair was dark as the night.
He spoke something to the wolfdog in a language the boy couldn't even identify and Orion took two steps forward, blocking his view from Julian.
“It's been a long time, Sartanos,” he said coldly.
“I'm most honoured that you have deigned to receive me,” the man answered wryly and smirked. “You speak English now.”
“Julian understands this language. His native Spanish seems to be somewhat elusive for me,” Orion answered coldly. “Come over here and greet Sartanos,” he addressed the boy coldly.
“How do you do?” Julian said in his best behaviour, becoming restless as the man examined him from head to toe shamelessly. He shook hands and the barely contained strength of the hand clasping his, drove him apprehensive. There was something not right with this man; in a way he reminded him more of Lýkos than of Orion. The faces bore no resemblance and they could not be brothers; distant cousins perhaps.
“The divine Argynnus,” the stranger greeted Julian with a condescend smirk. “We can't deny you have stable ideas, Koiranos. Always the same.”
“Sartanos is a long time... friend of mine.”
“You could say we grow up together but parted ways some time ago,” the man smirked. “Different views.”
“Very.” Koiranos pulled Julian away from the man rudely and the boy looked at him in shock.
“Did you take a look to what I sent you?” Sartanos asked as he sat on the sofa, quickly snapping his fingers to get Lýkos attention.
“I have no interest on it.” Sartanos answered and Julian gaped at him, shocked by his lack of manners towards the only guest he had ever entertained since they had met.
“At least you have electricity,” the man smirked. “How do you still put up with this peasant, Lýkos?” he asked the animal and petted his head.
“I've told you countless times I'm not interested in these things. They give me headaches.”
“No, they don't. It's just your paranoia. I have no headaches and in fact, I like them very much. Most people would kill to have a look at it.” The stranger got out of his pocket a small square device.
“I'm not most people.”
“We have a lots of hopes for this baby,” Sartanos extended the polished aluminium mini flat box to Julian who took in his hand, trying to figure out what it could be. Despite its three centimetres thickness and strong metal look, the box was flexible.
“The next generation of Google Glasses.
“What is this?” Julian moved it around and frowned as he had never seen anything like this in his whole life.
“A neuronal activated kind of smartphone to be short. More powerful than anything you have ever used before.
“Neuronal activated smartphone?”
“You don't need to talk or dial with this one. You attach it to your wrist and only think what you want to do. It can monitor your vitals, give you advise of where to go, read your e-mails, control you house and almost anything you can imagine.”
“Is this thing inside my head?” Julian babbled.
“Something like this, yes. No more typing and you immediately know where are your friends, your colleagues, what they do, what they feel what they need and you can instantly act upon it. Co-working will never be the same again.”
“Thank you,” Julian quickly returned the thing to the man, suddenly afraid of it. “Is it from Google?”
“No, it's mine,” Sartanos chuckled. “Perhaps it smartens up humans.”
“Did you create it?” Julian asked aghast, thinking that the man was Einstein's cousin with an evil twist.
“I was getting tired of how stupid humans have become,” the man replied. “It takes them forever to understand a simple order.”
“You were always a lazy warrior,” Orion huffed. “This way you will not have to bother to explain them how to fight.”
“Yes, that idea crossed my mind,” Sartanos shrugged as the box disappeared inside his pocket. “One gets tired of hearing the same thing over and over.”
“I think nobody will want it,” Julian said quietly. “Who wants that everybody know what you're thinking?”
“Millions of the so-called “digital natives”? No more typing in your Facebook? All the music and entertainment you want in your wrist? I think this gadget will be an offer they can't refuse. Rocking all the time?” Sartanos seemed to be amused at his own jokes.
“People would eventually tire of it.”
“Maybe but your boss would be very upset if things are not done like yesterday,” the man smirked. “Think on all the time I would save on explanations.”
“That's slavery,” Julian couldn't help to blurt out.
“If mankind has the intellectual coefficient of a goldfish is it mine or their fault?” Julian looked at him astonished. “You have no idea how frustrating it can get to be surrounded by mental turtles every day. In a way, I understand Koiranos need to be isolated.”
“No, you don't.” Orion answered sharply.
“Yes, I do. I was always the cleverer of us,” the man sauntered.
“Yes, that is true,” Orion admitted grudgingly. “Too intelligent for your own sake.”
“Well, that makes two of us who think the same. We agree on something, brother. Must be a sign of the coming doomsday. Ah dinner,” he said when he eyed Paula standing at the door.

* * *

Julian gaped how Lýkos jumped to the damascene upholstered chair and put his paws over the white linen. Orion took his usual place and the visitor the other head. None of them were shocked by the animal's manners and Julian hurried to sit next to Orion, wondering why his seat were so close to him while Lýkos chair was well placed in the centre of the table.
Paula said also nothing and served the men first and then Julian. She went to the kitchen and retrieved the wolfdog's dinner.
“Go away,” Koiranos said nonchalantly without even looking at her and she closed the door behind her. Julian caught Sartanos' appraisal look in his eyes while he delineated the contours of her behind.
“Thank you, brother,” he smirked and Orion looked gloomier than before. “You always knew my tastes. Very thoughtful of you.”
“So you keep you hands to yourself. Try your new hellish devise on her,” Orion grunted.
“Already jealous? No, don't worry. I always stick to my tastes and your companion does not strike my fancy. I always liked dark skinned people. So exotic.”
Julian gaped at the man.
“Besides, Lýkos would bite my head off if I touch “his” guardian,” the man chuckled. “A warrior never shares.”
“Julian has nothing to do with you or whom you are representing this time,” Orion barked.
“Who was your father?” Sartanos inquired, purposely ignoring Orion's furious stares. “I don't think I can identify him.”
“Neither do I,” Julian said miserably. “One or two nights stand.”
“Only that? Then, there must be also something from your mother's side too,” Sartanos mused. “When was your birthday? No, no, let me guess.” He frowned as he inspected Julian more carefully than before.
The man seemed engulfed in his thoughts until he said, “I have it. July 11th, 1991. Am I right?”
“You could have read that in my CV!” Julian shouted back and Sartanos smirked, not offended at all.
“He's a bit slow, isn't he?” Sartanos asked Orion but he let the challenge go unanswered. “A powerful one, indeed,” Sartanos mused. “No, to your question. I don't have any idea of who could be his father.”
“I was under the impression you had all answers.” Orion drank from his glass and began to cut his meat.
“Yes, I do, but this is really unimportant, don't you agree? Anyway, it's too late to ask, isn't it?”
“So, this is when you ask of me what you want?” Orion sounded upset.
“And I leave empty handed?”
“Most assuredly.”
“Alright. I have to try. Some people would like you to reconsider your views on the matter that lays ahead.”
“No.”
“Why?”
“Why should I? I have nothing to do with them. I will not rise myself against the god wishes.”
“For a Seer you are too... set in your ways. Mankind was already there and there was nothing. Nothing at all. It's all a legend.”
“You should be happy. You despise humans and their dismissal should bring joy to you. Those who are left will be strong and beautiful specimens.”
“You are happy because you see all this as the final battle between that old deity you still revere and the earth and the sun. It's just a myth.”
“No, it is not and we both... know it. I will not rise against Him or leave the path that was set for all of us. It was our gift. He has already rewarded my fidelity with Julian's coming.”
“Koiranos, their survival as species is at stake. Do you really think men will be very civilized about your unreasonable beliefs? If I were them, I would be doing anything to keep myself alive. You have no idea of what they could be capable of.”
“Let them try. I've seen that before.”
“No, you saw peasants with torches,” Sartanos smirked. “Your refusal to understand modern technology will be your downfall. Do you think you could walk anonymously in any city? Facial recognition software -which I designed-, my friend. There is a camera on every corner. It will be a hunt like you've never seen before.”
“And they will see me unleashed like never before if they even think on laying a hand on me or my family.”
“Yeah, yeah. Release Lýkos on them,” the man said wryly. “Men are dying to get a sample of our blood. They dream of replicating it. Cloning us. Mixing with us.”
“It will be useless, Sartanos. You are well aware of that.”
“I am but they are not. It doesn't take a genius to understand the implications of that fact.”
Orion rose from his chair and dropped his napkin over the table. “Feel yourself at home, Sartanos,” he barked and left the room, followed by Lýkos.
Sartanos continued to eat in silence, unimpressed by the other man's display of anger. “No bread?” he asked nonchalantly and Julian paled.
“I don't think it's appropriate but I can look for some in the kitchen if you want, sir,” he babbled.
“It's not going to kill us, you know? By the way, tell the servant girl to serve dessert now.” he ordered mildly Julian, unable to stand the tension any longer, dashed for the kitchen.

¨ ¨ ¨

Alone in his bedroom as he didn't dare to knock on the furious Orion's door, Julian undressed himself and wondered about the strange man that was now also in his bedroom, probably accompanied by Paula. Only a “are you lonesome tonight?” whispered in a seductive voice had been all what she had been required to make her run after the man.
The door opened and Orion burst in the bedroom, pushing Julian aside to make room for himself. He turned around and humph upset.
“I know the feeling,” Julian said with sympathy. “Is he your brother? You don't look alike.”
“We grew up together but we are not blood related as far as I know.”
“Will he go away tomorrow?”
“Sartanos will go away when his time comes.”
“He's a pretentious snot. A glasshole.” Julian said. “He thinks he rules the world.”
“I agree with your first sentence, the second I am not able to understand it.”
“People who wear Google glasses and behave like assholes. Total arses.”
“Yes, that definition is befitting,” Orion harrumphed to keep the laughter at bay and turned around to embrace Julian, his anger at Sartanos' behaviour partly forgotten.
The sound of furniture heavily knocking on the walls made both men stop their caresses. Before Julian could ask “what is that?” the knocks took a well-known cadence and the boy chuckled as Orion smirked.
“Show off,” Julian commented, listening to the heavy feminine moans at the distance.
“Always.” Orion said with mock seriousness.
“Will she be alright in the morning?” Julian whispered as the moans turned into cries and the noise of wooden hinges crashing against the wall increased. “He's a bit brutal.”
“No, not so much,” Orion said nonchalantly, more concerned on kissing Julian than in anything else.
“Are you sure she'll be fine?”
Orion listened carefully for some time. “A bit sore, perhaps.” The increased their frequency and speed indicating soon everything will be over, and Orion frowned “Or perhaps not,” he said. “This is nothing compared to what he would like to do.”

* * *

A furious Lucia, staring down at him, was something Julian had never witnessed before and it was a frightening sight. Upset because he had forgotten to clean after Lýkos or left the dishwasher in disorder, yes, but nothing of this sort.
“Please tell the guest he should respect the staff in this house.” she growled through gritted teeth.
“Excuse me?”
“This morning. This.... man pinched Carla in the bottom and asked her to... well I refuse to say so. He called her “servant girl” too! I will not tolerate this behaviour towards the girls. They work here and they're professionals.”
“Should you not say that to Mr. Koiranos?”
“He's away.”
“I'm the dog-sitter,” Julian tried to escape.
“You are a man and dined with them. Tell him off.”
“Maybe we should send Lýkos.”
“You. Go. Or I'll quit tonight.”
“My brother is older and a man too.” Julian started but her furious glare made him stand up from the kitchen table and leave his own breakfast behind.
“Come Lýkos,” he beckoned to the wolfdog and he morosely stretched his back, shaking his tail towards him before he left the kitchen in direction of the library.
Julian gasped when he saw that Sartanos had taken over his desk and was very busy with his own laptop. He bit his lips down and tried to remember hard how to deal with difficult patrons. 'That was Ahmed's speciality'.
“Good morning, little one,” Sartanos greeted him in a good mood.
“Good morning, sir.” Julian felt more intimidated by the man's good temper than by his earlier disdainful tone.
“Enjoyed the show or are you as prissy as Koiranos?”
Julian blushed and gulped watching how Lýkos loudly dropped his entire bulk on the man's feet. “Well, a few years ago I'd have been twitting it and gotten a lot of comments for that,” he mumbled embarrassed.
“I imagine so. Well, I was looking for another one not so loud. The servant girl from yesterday nearly gave an earache. Little slut,” he said the last words with faked tenderness.
“It's about that, sir.” Julian said more embarrassed than before. “I... got some complaints about your treatment of the staff.” The man stared at him. “I mean, the cook will go away if you don't... behave.”
“Since when do the slaves run a house?” Sartanos asked and Julian gaped at him.
“They are professionals. They work here.”
“Yes, they are here for a salary. Hardly free-men.”
“Perhaps Mr. Koiranos should speak with you.”
“He should get more accommodating slaves. That blonde in the morning was quite unsatisfactory. I lowered my standards for her and she was running away, not that she was a maiden.”
“The girls only clean here, sir,” Julian said. “I would be most obliged if you would respect this.”
“Not interested,” Koiranos said flatly. “You're not my type,” he smirked and Julian looked dumbfounded at him. “Don't feel obliged to me,” he clarified as if Julian would be a toddler. “Save it for your master.”
“Asshole.” Julian barked wishing a hole would open in the floor and hell flames would roast the man alive. “I wish you would....” and before he could finish the sentence, Lýkos barked warningly at him.
The man smiled this time truly enjoying the electrical draft that seemed to sweep the room. “That's much better, Guardian. I only wanted to see the true extent of your abilities. I see now, Koiranos was not so mistaken as I used to think.”
“What?” Julian croaked.
“Leave Julian alone, Sartanos,” Orion growled.
“Of course, dear brother. I do not wish to be burned to the bone,” the man replied casually. “He was more than ready to do it,” he announced proudly.
“You have overstepped your limits, Warrior,” Orion's eyes glowed making Julian shudder. “He's too young to be pushed like this.”
“As you say, Seer. I will not importunate him ever again. I've seen what I wanted. My compliments, Lýkos.”
Julian watched both men in total disbelief without understanding the meaning of what had been said. Even Lýkos seemed to understand more than him.
“Excuse me?” he said.
“Walk Lýkos now, Julian. I have to speak with Sartanos,” Orion said and began to talk in a language that Julian couldn't understand. He briefly wondered what that series of grunts and flickers of the tongue could be but as both men ignored him, grossly engulfed in their conversation, he accepted his defeat.
“Come on, Lýkos,” he mumbled very sheepishly instead.
* * *

So Sartanos stayed for a full week more. True to his word, he completely ignored Julian and focused on talking for endless hours with Orion, locked up in his own office; going away for long walks in Lýkos' company; or noisily taking his liberties with Paula.
The day he left, a collective sigh of relief was heard along all of the house staff. Only Paula had red rimmed eyes that morning, but she quickly set her goals on conquering the elusive Carlos.
Julian watched the Tesla drive away and sighed as he clutched the new smartphone the man had given him. “Call me if you need to ask something. Orion will never tell you things. He's too set in his ways and afraid that you go away if you know the truth.”
“What truth?”
“In its due time. You already know what we are. You only need time to accept it or not.”

Despite his horrible temper, haughty manners or truant behaviour, he was sure the man had a heart as big as Lýkos.

4 comments:

  1. AHhhh!! More mystery!! :) Julian is like teflon(?)..he just can't be cracked by normal things lol. Cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I sometimes have issues leaving reviews on newer chapters (just won't let me click publish), but I wanted to let you know that I loved the new chapter. Again, the atmosphere you've created surrounding these new strange beings is incredible.

    As another reviewer said, I hope you are well! Knowing you, you are either with your family on holidays, or you are busy at work with TS3 so that we can have the end to the Forgotten Ones by the holiday season, and perhaps a glimpse into the Lintoff household. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the new chapter, love reading your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boa tarde Tiomme
    Estou sentindo sua falta, independente das postagens,diga um oi, só para sabermos que esteja bem, estou com saudade
    abraço
    VALL

    ReplyDelete