Friday 7 June 2013

TS 2 Part VI Chapter 7 Part I


Chapter 7

October 15th, 2010
Milan

The chill breeze was nothing for Alexei as he crossed the Piazza della Scala and entered in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. 'Just like the Passazh back home,' he thought, feeling a pang of longing as the high glass-vaulted arcades reminded him of St. Petersburg. He walked to the centre, where the arcades intersected and formed an octagon bathed with the sunlight. 'It's next to the Borsalino Store. Who does still buy such hats?' he thought and the memory of him walking with his mother to the Children's World section assaulted him.
'Focus yourself! This is not the moment to be sentimental. They are dead and you have work to do!' he scolded himself and walked faster to the small store.
The old man who had always been behind the counter was not there any longer, but a man on his forties stood there. Alexei hesitated a bit but entered and tried with his limited Italian to get on the man good side 'Always do your best to start in Italian. The Italians will laugh at you and switch to English, but you will have half of the negotiation done,' had told him the Duke once and it was true. Italians were more receptive and cooperative after it.
Bon giorno, signore,” Alexei said. “Mi dispiace ma il mio italiano รจ molto cattivo.”
“Please, sir. I will be delighted to help you,” the man answered obsequiously with a soft voice and Alexei checked him from head to toes.
“Thank you very much,” the Russian answered, lowering his voice two tones and watched how the man unwillingly shivered. 'Gay, no doubt. Piece of cake.' “I wanted to order a fragrance for a friend of mine birthday and I was hoping to meet the old gentleman who used to be here.”
“Oh, you must mean my uncle Enrico. He retired two months ago as his nose was giving him a hard time.”
“That's very regrettable.”
“Yes indeed, he ran the store for forty-three years. I returned from Grasse to continue with the family business.”
“I was looking for a perfume created for a family and perhaps you could ask your uncle...”
“If you are so kind as to tell me the name. I can look in the records and have it ready in two weeks time if the ingredients are not too exotic.”
“It should be on your computer. My friend ordered it last year.”
“My uncle didn't believe in computers,” the man answered with a smile. “I have to look into his folders, but everything is methodically ordered. I'm thinking to change the way we used to do business. Perfumes on demand are not exactly at their highest point.”
“It's a real pity. This one is a very special scent. The family wears it since the XIX century.”
“Ah, the old Russian nobility,” the man said as he finally could identify the accent and elegant demeanour of his customer. “Nothing like them, according to my grandfather. We used to be providers for the Czar and my great grandfather kept the undelivered boxes until the Duce came to power.”
“No, in fact it's old German nobility,” Alexei answered, slightly amused that he had been mistaken by an aristocrat. 'My grandfather was picking up potatoes in the fields and my father was the first of us who went to high school.' “The name is Guntram de Lisle.” he said with a soft smile and the man bent over the counter to get a large rectangular box filled with cards to look for the name.


“Yes, here it is. “Gutenberg Sachsen Family. Number 347. One of the oldest preparations. One minute, please.” He disappeared into the back room and returned with a large leather bounded volume, passing the pages very carefully and slowly.
“We have to update all this to the twenty first century. Some of the ingredients are not even existing any longer or go by different names.
“When was this book made?” Alexei asked
“I believe this copy is from 1905. My uncle didn't want to change a single thing here.”
'The Duke should shop here,' Alexei thought with his gaze fixed on the man reading the old document. 'Wait, he does.'
“We have luck, sir. This one is still produced and till recently.” the perfumer announced and went to search into his own computer. “My uncle prepared some twenty bottles a year ago,” he announced after browsing the inventory. “I could have it ready for tomorrow.”
“Was he expecting so many customers?” Alexei asked innocently.
“I don't know, but it had some demand according to the sales. I'm trying to enter the past data to have an idea of what sells and what not.”
“Oh, if you say that, maybe another friend could have ordered and I would look like an idiot,” Alexei pouted. “It's horrible to show up with the same present.”
“Yes, I can imagine,” the man answered, lost in the big blue eyes.
“This is very unusual but could you give me a list of the buyers? Maybe one of my friends is there. The birthday is in October and I would be very grateful to you if you could save me an embarrassing moment,” Alexei said with a raspy voice and watched how the other swallowed hard.
“I'm not supposed to do so,” he hesitated
“Please.”
“Well, I could give you the initials, only,” the man doubted.
“You could do it while we have lunch,” Alexei said softly and saw the pupils broaden. “Perhaps you know a good place in Milan. I'm just passing by,” he added seductively.
“Yes, I know a good place. Discreet.”
“Perfect. How about at one?” Alexei fixed his eyes on his prey.
“At one,” the other answered, unable to believe that the gorgeous Russian could be interested in him.

* * *

Alexei quietly left the bed he shared with the perfumer in the small hotel in Corso Buenos Aires. The sun shone and he knew he had to be fast to get everything done. He took the man's trousers and found the wade of keys. 'I just need a Yale type. Easy. Good old uncle didn't change the lock since the Czar was around,' Alexei smirked.
He closed the bathroom's door and tore one of the courtesy soaps open and placed it over the sink before he heated the key with a lighter and pressed it against the soft white surface, melting it under the warmth. The key was washed and carefully dried before it was returned with the others in the keyring. Alexei hid the mould in the cabinet and went back to the bedroom to sent the man home.
“Can I meet you tonight, Enrico? I would like to go out with you.”
“Really?” he asked dumbfounded.
“Oh, you have plans?”
'I??' “No, not really. We could go somewhere if you want.”
“Excellent. Why don't we meet at the Duomo at eight o'clock?”
“I close the shop at nine.”
“Oh,” Alexei said, sounding very disappointed and knelt on the mattress to kiss the man on the lips as if he were trying to convince him to come. 'If I break in, it has to be done in plain business hours. No one will suspect.'
“It's not that I have the masses demanding for custom made perfumes.”
“No, people have no taste any longer. One hot looking model and you sell anything. I think, no one could appreciate a “nez” any longer.”
“Yes, that's right,” the man sighed. “I still can't place what you are wearing. It's nothing from the common ones.”
'Shit! Jean Jacques gave me bottle!' “Let's make a bet. If you can tell what this is made of, I wait till nine and if you get it wrong, you come at eight,” Alexei said with a playful smile.
“That's easy,” Enrico answered smelling the man's neck. “It reacts quite well to your skin and the base is real amber. Nothing mass marketed. Hugo Boss?” he joked.
“You are at the Duomo at seven.” Alexei smirked and the man pouted. “All right, I'll give you another chance.”
“Ancient Indian Sandalwood, Arabian Jasmine Sambac and touch of... That's the problem. Reminds me of Number One from Clive Christian but it's not that one.”
“Almost on the bullseye. The last ingredient is herb Clary Sage. A recipe from your family. Don't know the number. It was a present from a friend of mine.”
“This Guntram?” Enrico asked with and edge to his voice.
“Guntram is practically married and his husband is taller than me. Yes, he gave me the perfume, but we are nothing but good friends.”
“All right,” Enrico said. “I have to go now.”
“See you at eight,” Alexei winked.

* * *

From the distant corner, Alexei watched how Enrico closed his store and walked hurriedly toward the exit. 'The one who said Italians are not punctual was an idiot,' he thought as he walked casually to the place and without any hesitations opened the door and entered without switching on the lights.
He walked toward the back room where he had seen the computer and switched it on and opened the files and searched for the sales of the perfume. He whistled at each bottle price: Over €2.000 for 100 ml.
He felt his heart cringe when he saw that Jean Jacques had ordered a small bottle in September. 'He believes Guntram is coming back for his birthday. If he just knew who has him, he wouldn't be so confident.' Friederich had ordered a year ago nine bottles and Michel Lacroix other two just a few months ago.
No one else had placed any more orders.
He sighed dejectedly and inserted the pendrive in the computer to leave a virus that would allow the techs to have future access to the database.

* * *

October 18th, 2010
Zurich

Konrad never expected to have two bundles unceremoniously landing on top of his stomach in the middle of the first blizzard.
“What are you doing here?” he asked his sons, already sliding under his covers in the middle of the night. “It's very late,” he protested but Klaus and Karl had already installed themselves -with their plush animals and all- in his bed.
“It's snowing,” Karl informed him.
“Your window is well closed. You are not staying tonight here,” Konrad said firmly.
“You let Guntram sleep with you.”
“He was not letting you sleep with him,” Konrad retorted heatedly but he had to move his body to the right side of the bed as Karl kicked him to make room for himself.
“That was he, not you,” Klaus retorted stubbornly and slid deeper under the bedclothes, determined to stay in his father's bed.
“You have your own beds, young men. What's wrong with you two? You never wanted to invade my bed before,” Konrad hushed, becoming more and more upset. “I was never at my father's bed!” he protested but his children were not impressed at all. 'If this is one of Eberhard's ideas of parental bonding, I'm going to strangle him tomorrow. I had enough with going to the Harry & the Dinosaurs Festival'
“Do you think Guntram celebrates his birthday tomorrow?” Klaus asked tearfully. “We don't know where to send him a present.”
'So, that was it.' “I don't know,” Konrad said very slowly, carefully choosing the words. “Maybe he does but he never cared much about presents. He was happy to see a drawing from you or those ceramic boxes you made, the ones where he keeps his quills.”
“When is he coming back?” Karl asked. “I want to give him my present. I made it in school.”
“I don't know, my son,” Konrad replied. “The man who took him away hides very well and we can't find him. We are in better shape than before when we didn't know what had happened but we still don't have a certain lead of where he could be.”
“Why did he take him away from us?” Karl asked with a small voice.
“Because he's bad,” Konrad answered. “He wanted to have Guntram all to himself because he was very good.”
“Do you think he's an angel now?” Klaus enquired and looked at his father in the eyes. “Pater Bruno says that very good people go to Heaven or are changed into angels.”
“Transformed, Klaus,” Karl corrected him and also looked expectantly at his father.
Konrad felt himself like crying and wanted to deny it but he was also losing hopes. 'I have to let him go, for the boy's sake. I can live my life in mourning, but they're too young for this.'
“It is a possibility we should consider, Klaus,” he answered with a heavy heart. “Guntram will always look for you, even if he's not here.”
“He will be here for his next birthday,” Klaus affirmed as his brother huddled himself against his father's chest. “I know it.”
“Perhaps, Klaus, perhaps,” Konrad said very softly as his hand caressed his eldest son's head. He sighed and drew the comforter around his boys so they would be at least warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment