Friday 15 February 2013

TS 2 Part V Chapter 22


Chapter 22


March 16th, 2010
Austin

“How are you feeling?” solicitously asked Constantin when Guntram opened his eyes, still dazed but without feeling any kind of pain. “You were sleeping for one full hour more after the intervention.”
“I was there and fell asleep. How was everything?”
“Very well, perfect. The doctors told me you will start to feel much better in the next two to six weeks. You have to stay for three days more, but nothing else. We can stay in the city for another week as you liked it so much and you can go around and draw or go to a ranch so you have your peace.”
“I would prefer to stay here, if you don't mind, Alexander.” Guntram used his most polite voice, aware that the Russian hated rudeness. A “please” meant a whole world difference in their dealings. He held his breath as Constantin considered his options.
“All right we stay here. You were very brave, my angel and I'm very proud of you,” he conceded with a sweet voice.
“Where is Dr. Sverdloff?”
“Signing autographs for the young residents,” Constantin chuckled. “He's a celebrity in his field.”
“What was he doing working for you?”
“He has a clinic in St. Petersburg. Excellent doctor and scientist but a disaster with finances. He had debts for over 200 million dollars in 2006 and was about to file for bankruptcy. I spoke with him and offered to pay the debts and give him a fifteen million dollars yearly stipend to maintain his clinic in exchange of taking care of you for a year. Once we return to Russia, he will go back to his clinic and send another doctor to monitor your health. He has learned that you can't be so generous if you have a private foundation.”
“How could he make so many debts?”
“New equipments, free surgeries for poor people -he still lives in the Soviet times and has no idea about the value of money-. I let him keep the clinic, with a board, of course, and has a good budget for research and charity. He has to raise the rest of the money by himself.”
“I thought he was a normal doctor,” Guntram sighed.
“I wouldn't have had an incompetent regarding your welfare. He's more into heart transplants nowadays, but was part of the team which developed this technique. He brought it to Russia and has done this procedure hundred of times.” Constantin fixed his gaze upon the young man and he couldn't hold it, looking embarrassed at his covers for a while.
“You look very tired,” Guntram commented, desiring to escape the awkward silence.
“It was the longest hour in my life, angel, but we are fine now.”
“Thank you, Constantin,” he said earnestly as the realisation that his life might have really changed hit him. 'Maybe he wasn't lying about me being healthy again.'
“It's not over yet,” the Russian smiled and patted the small hand. “You have to stay three days more and then wait a little more before you get the defibrillator. It will be very good if we could reduce your medications and you can lead a normal life,” he said softly.
“You still haven't start the campaign against my former doctor for not trying this. Or against Konrad,” Guntram said bitterly, chewing his lower lip but leaving his hand where it was: under Constantin's.
“I can understand his position. A thirty percent risk exposure is too much for any banker. But to have you crippled just for a few years more was not an option, neither for you or me. Don't you agree with me?”
“Yes, I do. I would have accepted this surgery in the blink of an eye if I would have known about it earlier,” Guntram agreed very sadly. “If only for my boys.”
“We are together in this and I only want a chance with you. Please, give it to me, like you did on your birthday.”
“What if this doesn't work?” Guntram asked wondering why he had done it.
“I will let you go away in two years. That's all I ask. I would need time to disappear again.”
“Thank you very much, Alexander. I give you my word of not trying anything if you give me yours of letting me go if this does not work.”
“We have a deal then, my angel,” he agreed and reverently kissed the hand, enjoying the broken smile from his lover. 'Once we have the baby, you will be completely mine.'


End of Part V 

3 comments:

  1. Tionne, I am increasingly anxious for the reunion of Guntram and Konrad.
    Be long?
    Thank Very Much
    Vall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tionne,
    You should know by now how much I love you, but I think there should be a minimum word count for your posts because this chapter just does not count!!! WAY TOO SHORT!! I mean after waiting for two weeks, I was almost in tears when I saw how short this chapter was!

    I still love you though!!

    Bud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. :)

    Also, ATX is CRAZY right now with SXSW. So much fun. If you ever visit again, you should come for this! Lots of fun movies and talks going on. (It's about as close to Cannes as Texas will ever get haha).

    -LS

    ReplyDelete