Friday 4 January 2013

TS 2 Part V Chapter 19


Chapter 19


January 16th, 2010
Zurich

Konrad did his best to focus on the report he was trying to read, but it was useless. He would have to ask Ferdinand to brief him before the meeting. Everyday things became harder and harder for him. He was distracted, sad and defeated as never before.
'What wouldn't I do to get my Guntram back? But it's impossible. He must be dead by now.'
The figures swirled around once more and he felt the pulsating pain in his temple, warning him about the impending headache. “Migraine caused by extreme nervous tension, my Duke,” had declared his doctor and prescribed some pills. Konrad opened his drawer and took the bottle pill, swallowing two without water. He sighed and took the photo in his drawer, showing a smiling Guntram and he holding each other and closed his eyes at the painful memory. 'I will never see those eyes again or feel his hand caress me just to comfort me.'
A soft well known knock on his door announced Monika, his secretary. “Come in,” he said after putting away the picture and the bottle pill and recomposed himself.
“Excuse me, sir. These are the documents you asked to Michael and I need to check your agenda for the next month. We still have twenty minutes free until the meeting with Renderhoff from the Reconstruction Bank for Africa.” She said with her soft voice, her eyes avoiding to look at the photo of Guntram and the children in the silver frame on top of his desk.
“Thank you, Monika,” Konrad answered automatically. She sat in front of him and started to tell the long list while he nodded and only rejected two of the appointments.
She hesitated before getting to the last point in her agenda. “I received a letter this morning, my Duke. It is from Guntram's lawyer and it is labelled as personal. Should I open it?”
“Let me see it,” Konrad said and took the letter with no stamp and closed with a seal. His heart nearly stopped when he saw the symbol on it; a small and simple crenel cross. “Please, leave me alone, Monika,” he asked and the secretary left the room. With an letter opener, he cut the thick paper and took out a letter, strangely handwritten in German, using an elegant and precise handwriting.



Geneva, December 8th, 2009

To his Grace,

I would like to meet with His Grace at his convenience for a most important matter concerning Mr. Guntram de Lisle Guttenberg Sachsen, who has served you for 27 years since this day. The Summus Marescalus' presence would be greatly appreciated. We have much to discuss regarding his welfare and future.

Michel Lacroix.

Konrad had to read the simple lines several times before he could understand them. How could this man know Guntram's date of being introduced to the Order? How could he have a seal, reserved for Councillors or himself? Obviously, the person writing the letter was a member because he knew who he was. There was no way the Masons could have laid their hands on one of the seals. They were all accounted for except for...
'Shit! The bloody Vicomte!'
“Goran, to my office and bring Ferdinand along.”

* * *

Ferdinand von Kleist was in shock. How could have they missed something like this? Who was this Michel Lacroix? The Masons knew so much about their own.
“He's not one of us and there's nothing about him anywhere. Only some biographical data, that he's French and was born in Grenoble in 1947. Paris I University and several masters in tax law. Has a doctor's degree by the Université Catholique de Louvain. He controls 65% of Wolfensohn and partners and he acquired it in 1996 from the old man himself. He's like a social hermit, only working and almost never meeting with the clients. Many of our subsidiaries use his law firm services and they have obtained very good results,” Goran reported once more. “You, my Duke agreed with me that he is only a good Catholic and that his interest for Guntram was genuine.”
“What about his liaison with the Masons?”
“We have no intelligence in this sense. This Lacroix has no links to the Masons and we checked him many times over. He was Lefebvre's employer and nothing else.”
Konrad sighed and took the letter from Ferdinand's hand and quickly dialled the phone number and switched on the speaker.
“Hello, Konrad. I was expecting your call sooner,” an unknown voice said over the speaker.
“I have received your letter just now. Whom am I addressing to?”
“Michel Lacroix, but I would prefer a meeting rather than discussing matters over the phone.”
“My agenda is very tight, Mr. Lacroix.”
“Tomorrow at 12:30 in the Könighshalle, in the blue room,” the voice said and hung the phone up.
“His manners leave a lot to be desired,” Ferdinand huffed. “Tomorrow you have the meeting with those Hedge Funds from America and you are supposed to have lunch with them.”
“Send Adolf or Michael. Albert is busy with the Chinese.”
“You can't possibly be thinking to attend that meeting!” Ferdinand shouted and Konrad's cold stare pierced his heart. “All right, go there, but it could be another trap, like in Buenos Aires!”
“I'll go with the Duke, Ferdinand,” Goran said. “I'll take my men too.”
“I would like that you come too, Ferdinand,” Konrad said softly, “but I know, I can't ask you this.”
“Of course I'll go and this ghost should have something very good or I'll strangle him right there.”
“Ferdinand, it's in the middle of the Königshalle,” Konrad reminded him. “The place belongs to us. It's our territory, with our rules, my friend.”
“Had it not been for this Argentinean lawyer, you'd be dead,” Ferdinand grunted. “We all would be dead.”
“He came to us, so he needs us and we can't link this person to the attack. Everything pointed to Luciano Martínez Estrada and Nicholas Lefebvre. This man is just Guntram's lawyer and a good Catholic,” Konrad said.

* * *

January 17th, 2010

Konrad and his men arrived on time for their meeting at the Königshalle. Ferdinand was more nervous than ever although he bore a serene expression, contrasting the sombre face of Goran.
“This way your Grace,” the maître told them. “Mr. Lacroix requests you to join him at the Blue Room.” The three men followed him to the discreet saloon in the upper floor, its door closed as usual. The maître opened solemnly and took two step backwards to let them pass.
Konrad's heart froze when he recognised the man sitting at one of table's head. He was the living image of the old Vicomte who had dragged his life into misery. How could he have missed it? He had seen several photos of the lawyer but never recognised him? Jerôme de Lisle was well dead and buried and Guntram was so sure about it. His grave was occupied. 'Who in his right mind thinks that dead people return from their graves? My poor Kitten never faked his sorrow over his death. We fought because of it and here he is. Alive and kicking,' Konrad thought bitterly and fixed his eyes on Jerôme.
The man rose and only made a small hand gesture to Konrad to take the other head of the table in a very cold manner.
“You! Of all people! You! I will send you back to the grave you belong to!” Ferdinand yelled but Konrad glanced at him and he did his best to recover his composure.
Michel took again his seat indicating the other men that they could also sit. “I am very glad that you still remember me, Ferdinand. It means I have not aged that much.”
“You are a snake of the worst kind! We should roast you here, right now!” Ferdinand shouted once more, furious as ever before, finally understanding the puzzle he had been trying to solve for several months.
“Silence, Ferdinand,” Konrad said very coldly. “Let's hear what de Lisle has to tell us.” Goran gaped at the stranger, but his surprise was soon replaced by hatred.
“Let's discuss this in a civilised way, gentlemen,” Michel Lacroix said laconically.
“Why did you summon us?” Konrad asked as he and his men sat around the table, going directly down to business.
“It is about my son, Guntram.”
The men's anxiety was palpable. Goran was the first to speak. “Do you know where he is?”
“I might have some clues about his whereabouts, alas nothing conclusive.”
“The only thing preventing me to slice your throat, de Lisle is Guntram. Where is he and don't play more games with me,” Konrad growled.
“My name is Michel Lacroix since 1989, Duke. I was forced to fake my own death and leave my own child because of you. If I want, you will not leave this place alive. I need your resources to recover my son and this is why you are still breathing.”
“It was you who sent the Colombians,” Konrad affirmed.
“Unfortunately the plan failed. We were betrayed.”
“You are in league with our enemies and have sold Guntram to them! I will kill you myself!” Ferdinand shouted once more, unable to repress his fury any longer.
“The Lodge has nothing to do with his kidnapping. They only profited from the momentary weakness you suffered to attack the Order, but nothing else. What you did to Nicholas Lefebvre and Luciano Martínez Estrada was undeserved.”
“Sending the heretics back to Hell is always a good deed,” Goran growled. “Where is Guntram?”
“Is it true you consider my son as your lost brother?” Michel asked with curiosity, fixing his gaze on the Serb, standing next to the table.
“Guntram is like a brother to me.”
“It doesn't justify your methods, Mr. Pavicevic.”
“Is he in good health?” Goran asked softly as the man had the upper hand.
“I assume so.”
“Tell me, where is he?” Goran pressed. “I will forget that I saw you and spare your life.”
“Goran!” Ferdinand shouted once more but Lacroix and the Serb ignored him.
“You were not here in 1989, Mr. Pavicevic. I apologise for your father's fate. My own father had no right to order the attack on the Duke's life. We should have accepted the punishment, surrender our wealth to the Order and leave. I offered my family to share my own wealth to start again in another country, away from the Order, but they turned me down. The conspirators preferred to attack the Duke directly and you know the consequences. Our Hochmeister decreed our executions and I escaped the massacre by sheer luck. My brother Roger also escaped and hid in the most disgusting places to avoid your men's fury, Mr. Pavicevic.”
“I, on the other way, had to find a way to keep my son alive. Nicholas Lefebvre told me about a man called Michel Lacroix who was on the last stages of cancer and had less than a year to live. He was a construction worker with five children and we spoke with him. I paid him five million dollars for his body so he could secure a future for his family. You accepted my offer for Guntram and Michel Lacroix fulfilled his part of the deal, coming to my flat to commit suicide as it was his original plan. He was very sick and in great pain but nevertheless he needed to drink many bottles before he had the courage to do it. We had to help him to reach the window so drunk he was. I'm not proud of it, but I had no other way to escape the Order and save my son.”
“Nicholas identified the body as mine and the police was glad to close the case so quickly. After all, thanks to you I was the crook who had cheated millions to our clients at the Crédit Auvergne. With my death, everybody were happy. The French State saved the costs of an useless process are there was nothing left to seize. You, my Duke showed all the associates who was their leader and the Logia obtained more information than they ever had about the Order in exchange for their protection and help to build a credible story for my new life.”
“I left for South America that same morning. I stayed in Perú for several years before I bought the law firm in the early 90s, and partly rebuilt the position my family had lost. I always had in mind to get my child back, but you got him first.”
“Why did you turn Guntram to us? Didn't you love him enough as to keep him?” Goran asked softly.
“I only wanted to win time for him. After my nephews' murders, would the Order have spared my boy? I never expected the Duke would claim him! I did my best to hide him in Argentina!” Michel protested, outraged that he was accused of selling his boy to these fanatics. “You were never able to find him until 2001!”
“Nevertheless God put Guntram in my path and I took him as the gift he is,” Konrad said with a frown.
“God had nothing to do with this. These wretched Masons used Guntram to drag us into their schemes,” Ferdinand huffed.
What?” Michel shouted.
“Didn't you know? Guntram told us that his own tutor sent him to Notre Dame. Your allies send him to me.” Konrad smirked and Michel paled. “Which was the original idea? To tell him the truth behind your “suicide” de Lisle, and give him a weapon to kill me? To spy on us? The Logia should do their recruitments better because he was always loyal to us and believed in our ideals.”
“Guntram should have never been there! He was only supposed to visit Paris. I swear I had nothing to do with this. I never wanted him to be in this place; only that he had a good and joyful life. He was happy with the little he had and doing his best to come afloat, making me very proud of him. I did try to take him away when you took him!” Michel said very slowly as he realised that what he had considered to be a divine curse was in fact a ruse from his long time friends. “Luciano told me you met in Venice,” he added desolated, his mind refusing to accept the truth.
“I met Guntram in Paris as I saw him in Notre Dame. He landed in the middle of the Order's meeting,” Konrad said evenly.
“That's impossible!” Michel shouted. “I told Luciano and Nicholas to keep him away from you!”
“Your own man send him there,” Goran growled. “Guntram remembered it last time he was in Paris and for some reason he jumped into the next plane to Moscow.”
“I don't care if it was the Masons doing or not,” Konrad intervened. “Notre Dame is one of the largest cathedrals in the world, visited by thousands of tourists per day and Guntram was sitting in front of me. For the first time in my life, I was late to a meeting and had to cross a sea of people to get close to where the ceremony took place. I found him, not vice versa. God works in mysterious ways. You gave him to me and He returned him to me when it was the right time. ”
“How can you believe that I would give my only child to a monster like you? You ruined his life in so many ways,” Michel whispered for his pride sake, although he knew he had been fooled for over twenty years. 'Nothing is for free, my son,' his own father's words, preventing him against Nicholas' friendship because he was part of the Logia, assaulted his memory.
“Guntram always loved me and forgave me my many faults. He is the father of my children,” Konrad said regally. “You are a ghost to him, nothing else. Where were you when no one ever realised he was so sick? He had a chronic heart condition, inherited from his mother and nobody ever took him to a doctor!”
“You hit, raped and insulted him many times. How can you call this love? I know you very well Lintorff and I remember how you turned my brother's life into hell. Guntram should have never been with you!”
“He forgave me!”
“Did he? He would have forgiven you everything as he loved you, but you continued to ruin his life. Why did he leave for Argentina? Because he wanted to attend a wedding? No, he left because you took the children away!” Michel exclaimed very excited.
“Where is Guntram now?” Konrad grunted, gripping the table with his hands till his knuckles became white.
“I don't know.”
Konrad couldn't restrain himself any longer and launched himself at the man's throat, more than ready to strangle him, his fury unbounded. Goran and Ferdinand had to do their best to hold him from squeezing his enemy's throat, till they heard a soft cough and felt something on their heads. Hating himself for losing the opportunity, Konrad pushed Michel away.
Four black tall men were inside the room, all of them pointing with their weapons at them. Ferdinand looked at the red point on his chest and knew that he would not see another day. 'In our own place.'
“Thabo, it's all right,” Michel said and the men lowered their weapons. “No need to be noisy.” He readjusted his jacket and tie and sat back in his place. “Sit down Lintorff. There is much more to discuss. Thabo, tell your people to go away and have lunch. It was just a misunderstanding.”
The black man spoke in his language and three of the men withdraw from the room while he stood next to Lacroix, looking threateningly. “Thabo comes from Ethiopia and some of his men from Rwanda or Somalia. He's my head of security and I trust him with my life. All his efforts to locate Guntram had been fruitless.”
“It is as Mr. Lacroix says,” Thabo spoke with his deep voice. “We searched the north of Argentina thoroughly, but we couldn't find him. Our own man was taken away and we presume him dead as well. We focused on the Russians operating in the border but they knew nothing at all.”
“The Russians?” Ferdinand asked.
“Repin has my son, Lintorff,” Michel said softly. “I thought he was a better choice for him and my child showed some feelings for him.”
Konrad looked at him, his heart frozen. “Repin?”
“The name has changed. He's called Ivan Petrov now and transferred most of his fortune into ghost societies in the Bahamas, Isle of Man and Surinam. I settled those companies for him and my firm takes care of his children's support, but after Guntram was kidnapped, he vanished from this earth. Not even the people who helped him to escape know anything about him. He disappeared and most of his accounts were emptied within a day.”
“How much does he have?” Goran asked, still digesting the news.
“About 4.9 billion dollars. He left 3.5 billion dollars for his children but that money is virtually untouchable.”
“I need a list of the people you know were on his side,” Goran said automatically, ignoring his companions.
“How can I believe you?” Konrad grunted.
“I want my child back. Repin took him away without my consent.”
“You are the lowest scum I've ever met, de Lisle. You whore your own son around. What was this time? Money? Have you no shame at all? Guntram can't be your child!”
“I just looked for a safe place for him, a place where he could be happy and raise his own family. Repin offered all this and my son would have gone with him long time ago had it not been for your children, Lintorff. You are the last person in the world I want to see near him.”
“You gave him to me!”
“I did not! You took him and turned him into your slave!” Michel roared and almost launched himself at Konrad, who jumped to his feet.
“Enough!” Goran shouted. “Bickering like children will not get Guntram back. We have to cooperate with each other. My Griffin, please, do sit down. Mr. Lacroix should tell us all what he knows and we will do the same.”
Both adversaries looked at each other with pure hatred in their eyes but resumed their places. “The Griffin should consider a pardon for the Consort's father,” Goran added softly. “To prove our good will.”
“I promise to fully cooperate with you, my Griffin.” Michel said very softly.
“His word is worth trash,” Konrad grunted. “I should execute him for letting Repin take my Guntram away.”
“I will handle all the material I have over your companies,” Michel added. “There are many holes you are not aware of. I want a full pardon for me and my sister in law.”
“You have nothing!”
“My buffet processed over 28% of your parallel winnings over the past seven years, my Griffin. Many of your associates work with us.”
“The Masons' heads on a silver tray.” Konrad said very seriously.
No. I am not a traitor. This is only a temporary alliance. You have already damaged their positions with that gold rush and the oil prices sinking.”
“The world economy is in recession, sir, since 2007,” Konrad answered with a smirk. “I have no reasons to trust you. I want some proofs of your loyalty.”
“I have no loyalties toward you. I only want to use your network of Komturen.”
“This will not be easy.”
“I thought you wanted to recover Guntram,” Michel smirked.
“Yes, but I don't need you at all. If Repin is alive, I know where to look for. You're useless to me now. Get your people out and start to run.”
“Mind your words, Lintorff. Although you're not the Hochmeister any longer, I will take an huge pleasure in seeing you behind bars. You are alone now and your cousin Georg would do nothing to help you. How about your connections with the Cipriani brothers? How much did you laundered for them? Two billions in four years?”
Konrad looked at him with a blank expression. “What is your offer then?”
“We cooperate till we find Guntram and stop all attacks between us.”
“Define us.”
“The people I represent. You return to your normal activities. No more shaking the markets or ruining poor countries. Most of the bankers I represent are in a dire situation thanks to you.”
“They should assess better the risks of money lending. As this is my land, they had nothing to do here. People are free to choose their own fate.”
“I want an unconditional truce. Leave the Logia alone.”
“This sounds more like a surrender, Mr. de Lisle,” Konrad smirked.
“Lacroix, and it is not. The people I represent want some time to rebuild their positions. As you are no longer head of the Order, they have no intention of going against you in the future as long as you do the same.”
“Here I was thinking you were interested in your son's welfare. How naïve of me!” Konrad sneered. “You are only here to save your precious clients' hides and your life perhaps, Lacroix. Are we exerting too much pressure on you?”
“You are still as immature as always, Lintorff. Very well, suit yourself and remember that you're not as powerful as before and I have still not unleashed my wrath upon you. What you saw in Buenos Aires is just the beginning. I suffice myself to get my child back.”
“Guntram is not your child any longer. You sold him to me in 1989.”
“How could you even believe that I was serious?” Michel smirked, shaking his head unable to believe his opponent's views. 'He's crazier than anyone thinks.'
“Yes, your family's word has no value at all. Fortunately, Guntram is a Guttenberg Sachsen in more than one sense. I fulfilled my part of the deal and he was named Consort. I looked after him the best as I could and we were the happiest couple till you poisoned our love in 2005. You ruined his life once more, Lacroix,” Konrad rebuked, rising his voice with each word he pronounced.
“Don't you dare to speak to me like this!”
“First, you destroyed his faith in mankind with your “suicide”. When I met him he was terrified of loving someone and believed that we all would abandon him like you did. It took him years to really trust in me and love me. He was the happiest man in earth when he saw my boys and loved them as if they were his own flesh, but that is a concept you cannot comprehend. You poisoned our relationship and he lived in hell for two years. Why couldn't you let him be as he was?”
“Excellent, lying is best,” Michel sneered.
“He is a sick person! He can't stand or handle stress!”
“You turned his life into hell! Did you let him go? No, you threatened his life and forced him to stay!”
“He would have died of sadness without our children! What was your idea? Offer him to Repin? Come back from the grave and take him with you?”
“You hurt him several times in the past! Repin was my only way to get him out of the hell you put him through!” Michel rose his voice. “You almost kept him prisoner in your house. Your tactics were the ones which forced me to ally with a mobster. Were you expecting that my Guntram would have been cheating on you? He should have because you really deserved it! You controlled everything! His mail, his friends, where he was going! Even if he wanted to cross the street to buy a pencil, there was someone with him! Repin was the only person who could have broken that security!”
“The Duke has not touched a single hair from Guntram since April 2002,” Goran intervened in the heated discussion noticing how close Konrad was to attack the man again. “He knows better than fighting with me to death if something happens to my little brother. This argument is only a waste of our time. I'm willing to offer my support and contacts to you if his Grace decides to deny you his help.”
“Goran!” Ferdinand shouted in shock at the break of the unmentioned protocol; the Griffin should forge the alliances and the Council approve them.
“I'm the master of my own fortune, Ferdinand. I'm the Summus Marescalus and my people follow me because of who I am. The Komturen will respond to me and not to you or the Duke,” Goran retorted with an even voice.
“Thank you, Mr. Pavicevic. I misjudged you as you are a true friend of my son,” Michel said with great difficulty and looking ashen.
“Yes, I have the honour of having Guntram's friendship but I don't forget that my own father died because of yours. I'm only offering you a truce.” Goran intoned the words very sternly but offered his hand to seal the pact under Ferdinand's astonished gaze and Konrad's glare. The Serb couldn't care less about them. He had found a new lead and he would follow it until his brother was back home.
Konrad was torn between his distrust and hatred of the lawyer. He only wanted to tear him into pieces but Goran had sided with the traitor. He knew himself trapped; side with the enemy and perhaps recover his love or eliminate him and loose his only hope. 'Damn the Order. I lost everything because of it,' he cursed inwardly and cleared his throat before he spoke. “As you say, I am not the Hochmeister any longer. Whatever the new Hochmeister does, is his responsibility. I can only promise you that I will not personally attack any of your clients and cease all hostilities toward them. In exchange, you will submit to me all the material you have on me and swear on your son's life that you will not rise against me now or in the future. I shall renounce to take your life and your crimes will be forgiven.”
“Very well, Duke. I accept those terms, but I will not disappear from Guntram's life. You still owe me twenty years of his life.”
“Very well, we have shared our views,” Goran said impatiently and regained his seat. “You must tell us what you know about Repin and I will tell you what I know about his people.” From his sitting position, he forced Ferdinand to sit down, still glaring furiously at all the men in the room. “I suggest soup for starters, gentlemen; no knives involved,” Goran smirked.
“Yes, the black truffle one is acceptable,” Konrad grunted, taking back his seat as he waved his napkin open, his eyes never leaving Michel's.
“I could eat,” Ferdinand growled. “Will you accompany us, Mr...?”
“Thabo Haymanot.”
“Now, Mr. Lacroix, can you tell us what this rat has been up to?” Goran said slowly.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories with us! I could read this book again and again many times without getting bored. There are always new details to discover and more things to think about.
    I just ordered Of Kindness and compassion in Frogs and Toads. I can't wait to read it once my exams are over! What I read on your blog so far really appealed to me. It sheds a new light on some parts of The Substitute I & II.
    By the way, I got a 15% discount by using the code "BIENVENUEFR" on the french version of Lulu.com. I'm sharing the info here because voucher codes from retailmenot don't work for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words and support.

      All the best in your upcoming tests!

      Delete
  2. Tionne thank you very much.
    loved the surprise, after entering the website. the first thing I do and get on your blog every day to check. I am in love with the story, I've read several times
    Thank you very much
    vall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vall,
      Don't tell anybody but the blog is generally updated on Fridays.
      Best wishes,
      Tionne

      Delete
    2. Wow Tionne .. how cruel of you... you are even more cruel than Konrad!! Only on Fridays ?!! .. I check the blog several times a day, worried that I might miss something. I even enjoy the comments of your fans !

      Bud

      Delete