Friday 2 March 2012

TS 2 Chapter 9

Chapter 9


April 23rd, 2009
Geneva


Guntram sat at seven in the morning in the second class compartment, keeping his overcoat on as the weather was still very cold. 'The big boys were still sleeping when I left the building. Bodyguards also need their beauty sleep. I have to send the bloody seal back to Konrad.' He tried to look through the window, but preferred instead to dedicate his attention to his cousin's poetry book.
The air was colder in Geneva when he got down from the train and walked through the platform.
“Mr. de Lisle? I'm Thabo Haymanot, Mr. Lacroix's Head of Security.” A very tall black man cut Guntram's path, surprising him a bit.
“Hello,” the young man answered and extended his hand for a brief shake.
“Where are your men?”
“I don't know, somewhere around,” Guntram shrugged. “They don't want to be seen today.”
“Very well, they'll miss the donuts at the office,” the large man chuckled with a big grin that made Guntram smile. 'No matter what Mr. Lacroix tells, this boy's mother's was truthful to him. The son, no doubt.'
“I need to go to a place in Geneva before as my meeting is at twelve.”
“I can accompany you, sir.”
“All right. It's a company which sells mobile phones.”
“Would it not better to buy one in Zurich?”
“I want a special kind. A Sectera.”
“Those are expensive machines and you need to wait for about two weeks to get one. If you want, we can yield one of our company and you place the order to replace it. It will be a brand new terminal and you will not have to wait.”
“Will you not have problems with your boss?”
“No, Mr. Lacroix will say nothing as long as I keep the available stock steady.”

* * *


Guntram sat in the medium size meeting room decorated in a very conservative way, with old solid furnitures and libraries filled with law compendiums. 'Almost like a bank. Konrad would be very happy here. Nicholas' office is more cheerful than here.' He looked at the wooden panel obviously covering a flat screen for the presentations or video-conferences and focused on the large flower vase standing in a side table.
“Hello, Guntram. I'm very happy to see you again.” Nicholas said, entering the room with a young woman at his side. “Tea?”
“Hello, Nicholas. I'm sorry to have interrupted you,” Guntram answered and nodded to the secretary. “Tea, please.”
“That's the worst of your illness, only tea and no coffee, right?”
“Not even the capitalist Coca Cola,” smiled Guntram. “The caffeine free version is not the same for me.”
“Chano told me about that thing you drink back in Argentina. What was its name?”
Yerba Mate, but Konrad almost had a heart attack when he saw it. He thought I was doing some grass.” Guntram chuckled at the memory. “I can have it, but I prefer to leave it for my visits there.”
“Michel tells me you're in troubles.” Nicholas said and he was serious again.
“Troubles is too much. I have done nothing against the law, Nicholas. I just broke up with Konrad von Lintorff.”
“Is it serious?”
“I can't go on any more. I did my best, but I just can't.”
“Was he violent to you?”
“How do you know?” Guntram asked but the sharp look from Nicholas made him blush and look to the floor ashamed that the secret was out. “No, it wasn't that. We had troubles at the beginning but he was always very kind to me.”
“Especially when he kicked you out after a strong angina episode. You never told me what caused it.”
“Leave it, please Nicholas. He had an affair with a trader last December and I don't want to spend the rest of my life checking if he has cheated on me or not.”
“Guntram, forgive me for saying this, my child, but you have forgiven this man many more things than this. He cheated on you and treated you worse than a dog for more than two years.”
“This time I want a clear cut, Nicholas. The documents about the children that Michel wrote last summer, can they be unilaterally presented? I want to renounce to everything. He established an account under the boys and my name and I want out.”
“It will be complicate but it's possible. Have you signed anything?”
“Nothing, it was done as a donation in my old normal account for daily expenses, not the one for the school that was closed upon my request. It's at his bank.”
“I will write the documents to force its closure after you renounce to be his sons tutor. Do you understand he will react very badly and probably forbid you to see his children?”
“I know, but I hope he will not hurt the boys and let me see them.”
“Guntram, divorces are like battlefields and neither side wants prisoners. What about your own money?”
“All the money I make with my paintings is in a separate account, in a different bank. A Spanish commercial one.”
“Good. What about the money your father left you?”
“I used the gold to pay for the flat and part of the jewels. The rest is in a safe box at this commercial bank. I will loose most of my clients after this, but I'll get a job.”
“I don't think so. Your book is good and you can always make more. Michel told me about this woman's offer and it's still valid.”
“I will not take her money.”
“Why don't you ask her for a job? She has this company for clothes design.”
“I know nothing about clothes!”
“Make T-Shirts or illustrations. They always need good artists for the designers. Speak with her.”
“But...”
“You will sign a power of general attorney to me. This is going to be a nasty battle and the best is if you're away.”
“I want nothing from him!”
“But he wants everything from you. I consulted with Margarette Leibowitz and she thinks you need a restraining order against him or anyone related to him.”
“I will not ask for it, Nicholas! Forget it!”
“Keep it in mind, Guntram. I know very well who he is and how he deals with people. The Hochmeister is not a pious man.”
“Forgetting to tell me you knew all about it was not exactly the greatest achievement in trust among friends.” Guntram retorted heatedly. “What are you? Great Prince of the Orient?”
“I know what happened to your family since many years ago; you have nothing to do with their dealings and my own grade is secret for the uninitiated. We are adversaries yes, but I was a good friend to your father and he was to me, no matter if he was always a good Catholic. In a way, our views of a greater good for mankind are the same.”
“I will not let you use me against Konrad. I only want to break free from him. You will learn nothing about him from me, Nicholas.”
“I know, you're exactly as your father. He never said a word about the Order or the pact he made with Lintorff until the end.”
“You knew about it?” Guntram yelled.
“Yes, I did. They're evil and live on secrecy, much more than us. Write Masons in Google and you'll find everything about our rites. We are even accused of planning to take over the world! Illuminati, Jews and Aliens, all together.”
“I don't care about this war.”
“Guntram, this is going to be like leaving a sect, hopefully without the “deprogramming” seances for you. Where are you going to live?”
“Home, in Zurich.”
“You can't stay in that place! The security has been arranged by his own people. His main assassin lives next door!”
“Goran is my friend! Like a brother!”
“Brothers kill brothers, Guntram. You will have to leave the place. Move to another city. Go to the United States, the Order is not so strong there.”
“I want to see the children!”
“Fine, crawl back to him and be his puppet. I'm sure he will let you come back if you're a good boy and don't complain if he asks someone over,” Nicholas smirked.
“No! Konrad is not like that! He's harsh but he has honour.”
“Guntram, the minute you leave this office, Pavicevic's men will jump to your neck for meeting with me. Didn't you tell Michel that he forbade you to meet with me because I'm a Freemason?”
“You were almost fighting with Goran!”
“Yes, we are enemies, but we are not fanatics as they are. We believe in a mankind free of the oppressing chains of obscurantism, in the triumph of reason over the differences and the innate freedom of men.”
“Many bankers belong to your ranks and don't deny it, Nicholas.”
“I will not. There are books about it. How many books are about the Order? Guntram, you're a good boy. Run away as fast as you can. Your father never wanted this for you. Call this woman while I speak with my associates.” Nicholas left the room, giving his own mobile phone to Guntram, who looked for the number in his own.

* * *

Nicholas entered in the large office and walked toward Michel desk where he was looking at the screen, his eyes glued at the form of his son.
“He looks so much like his mother,” Michel said softly. “I never wanted to cause him so much pain.”
“The cake was there and Lintorff swallowed it. Is that your fault or his? True, Guntram didn't deserve to find it out in such a way, but it's for the best. He has to go away, so we can move forward.”
“I know, but Guntram's health is too frail to endure so much stress.”
“Sybille will look after him in Paris. She will be very good to the boy. He can go to the Guttenberg Sachsens' too. Michel, we're so close to end the game and this is not the time to doubt.”
“My brother Roger could have never had the impact my Guntram has on Lintorff. My son was everything he wanted. I never expected him to fall in love with a monster.”
“Exactly, even if he suffers now, he will be safer and happier in the future. Guntram is only twenty-six. He can find someone else; someone worthy of him. We are making the world a better place without Lintorff.”
“I know, my friend but I don't want him to suffer. His life has been very hard and I never wanted this for him.”
“Your son is stronger than you think. Guntram will be fine. I'll look after him. You focus on eliminating this threat to our plans now that he's weakened. We have waited almost twenty years to achieve this. Once Lintorff weakens, we will wipe him out of the markets. The whole Order lies on him.”
“And he lies on my Guntram, sucking his life out.”

* * *

Alone in the room, Guntram doubted as his mind was in turmoil. He wanted to believe that Konrad would accept the break up and will leave him alone, letting his children to continue to visit him, but his inner voice reminded him every two seconds about the past. 'Didn't he evict you from your flat? Didn't he stuck you with two bodyguards so you were not screwing around? Didn't he rape you so you would learn “your place and obey”? Didn't he take the boys away when you refused to do his bidding? Didn't he fuck that woman in front of you? Didn't he believe you were a child abuser?'
Didn't he?
Guntram squeezed his eyes shut and his fingers pressed the eyeballs to stop the incoming tears. He sighed and loosened his tie, feeling short of breath. 'Wouldn't be great? A heart attack and be over with everything, but you won't be so lucky.'
“Are you feeling all right, sir?” the young secretary asked while she sat a tray with a cup of steaming tea in front of him.
“Yes, I'm all right, thank you. I didn't sleep much last night.”
“I can bring you an aspirin.”
“No, thank you very much.” He watched her leaving the room and knew that “a civilised break up” was a lie from the novels. 'Konrad will not let me restart my life. For him, this is just that he was caught being naughty, nothing that could be compared to before. Probably he thinks now that I will throw a tantrum and return home tomorrow, ready to be told off by Friederich and be docile like a “kitten”'.
He took his new mobile phone and again found it uncomfortable as it was so large. 'The thing I hated most from Konrad is part of my life now. The Blackberry from Hell.' He searched for Sybille's number and dialled it.
Guntram was very relieved that Sybille was free and wanted to speak with him. With a lot of effort he told her that he had decided to leave Konrad and that his lawyer, Nicholas Lefebvre thought that the best would be to look for a job, away from Konrad and perhaps she....
“Of course I need someone for the Reach Out Hands Project. You're perfect for it. You speak Spanish and know the idiosyncrasy of Latin Americans.”
“I know nothing about clothes, Sybille. I cannot distinguish between cotton and silk.”
“No, the person in charge of the project, Mary Wollencraft -maybe you met her at the Zurich opening store- does this. She's very good at her job but she's about to loose her sanity with the local governments and lack of vision of the people involved. Can you believe that we offered to share the winnings on the collection, and they preferred to charge us the same price they do to the tourists? It's impossible!”
“They don't have to trust you. You wouldn't be the first gringo to cheat on them, Sybille.” Guntram said softly.
“No, they expect me to give them money for nothing, just because they're poor and it doesn't work like that, darling. They have to work and earn it. Come to Paris to speak about it.”
“Sybille I don't know if I could travel so much. The doctor forbade me to be under much stress. I was thinking more to offer my services as illustrator.”
“Why don't you come to Paris and stay with me? We can speak better there. I'll have a ticket ready for you for the evening flight.”
“I have to return to Zurich today, Sybille. I didn't tell anyone that I was going away. I have to speak with the boys too.”
“All right, We'll see each other on the 27th, darling. Nothing like Paris to feel better after a break up. I was married to a Lintorff and I know the type very well.”
“I don't know how things are going to be from now onward Sybille,” sighed Guntram.
“Take some time to think on your own. You will never be able to do it in Zurich.”
“You're right Sybille but I need some more time.”
“Come on Monday then. My secretary Helen will make the arrangements.”
“All right, I think I can manage for Monday. Thank you.”

* * *

Guntram descended from the train and felt more drained than before. The children must have left school an hour ago and were in the Castle, so it make no sense to run back to his house. 'Who knows if I will ever see them again,' he thought and preferred to walk to his house. He needed some time to think and walked down the busy and elegant Banhofstrasse, finding some comfort in the large trees that always reminded him of his Buenos Aires, except for the tramways. He walked doing his best not to think on the children but it was useless as their images were engraved in his brain. 'Nicholas is right, I would crawl back to Konrad just for them, but then what? I forgive him and we start again? How long till the next problem? It only took him three weeks to get someone else.'
He passed by Sprüngli and looked at the place, remembering all the times he had taken the children for a piece of cake or escaped with Goran (and kept the secret) for a piece of cherry cake on working hours. 'Even Goran has enough of Konrad sometimes. How can Nicholas say something like this about him? Goran is an excellent friend to me. I don't want to fight with him over Konrad. He will not let me accept a job “with the Masons” as he calls them, but I need to make money to support myself.'
Realising that he had a new phone number he turned to the left at Börsenstrasse to walk the fifty metres to the Lintorff Privatbank. The security guards looked at him, surprised he was strolling without any kind of security around, but opened the door for him. Guntram walked toward the young blonde receptionist who greeted him, rising from her chair.
“Please Clara, don't bother yourself. Could you give this card to Monika later?” Guntram said while he took one of his visit cards and pen to scribble down the new phone number. “This is my new contact number, could you please also pass it to the people in administration too?”
“Do you want to go upstairs, sir?” She asked in visible shock.
“No, thank you. Good bye, Clara.”
The blonde woman was in shock, holding the card in her hand, understanding now why the Duke had been in a horrible mood the whole day, barking at everyone, from Dr. von Kleist to the last coffee boy. 'Not again, please, not again. The Duke is simply insufferable when Mr. de Lisle loses his patience with him. I understand now why I had to go for a Rolex! The Duke was again into something! Stupid pig!”
She sighed and asked Karl to look after her workplace. “I have to speak with Mrs. Dähler now.”

* * *

Guntram had not yet left the grocery bag over the kitchen counter when his mobile rang and he sighed bracing for the upcoming discussion.
“Where the hell have you been the whole day?” Konrad yelled, not giving him time to say “hello”.
“Away. Visiting my lawyer in Geneva. Nicholas Lefebvre. He will send to your bank the required papers to close any kind of account I might have there. The money will be left at your disposition, of course. I want nothing from you.”
“Guntram you can't do this! You can't leave the children! If you're upset with me, come home and we will discuss this in private.”
“No, talking to you is useless; you lie and I buy your lies. It's over now.”
Maus, please, reconsider your actions. I'll pass by your flat and we can speak face to face, not on the phone, yelling like two children. Karl and Klaus miss you enormously. I told them you were away just for the day.”
“I'm not yelling, Konrad; you are,” Guntram clarified with a stern voice. “All right, come over here and we'll speak, but my mind is up,” he sighed.
Konrad hung up his phone and buried his face in his hands. Guntram had never been so cold to him in his life. It was the coldness of someone who had no feelings for him at all. Worse than when his Kitten was furious with him. He knew he had broken his trust once more and this time Guntram had acted completely out of himself, like buying a military phone and moving out in the same day.
'I'll kill Marcello when I find him! Bloody rat! I should have known! Who paid him all this money?'
“Monika, I'm leaving early today. Have the car ready in ten minutes.”

* * *

Guntram had not finished to store the milk in the refrigerator when his doorbell rang. 'It's only 20 minutes. It can't be him.'
But it was Konrad, standing at his doorstep, pale and haggard from a sleepless night, his eyes unable to meet Guntram's. “Do come in, please,” he said and let him in. “Do you want something to drink? This might take some time.”
“What are you having?” Konrad asked, thinking that if Guntram was offering something, his chances might have improved just a bit.
“Tea.”
“Fine, thank you.”
“Follow me to the living room, we can speak there.”
Konrad looked at the stance for the first time after he sat in one of the individual black leather chairs, next to the large deep red brocade sofa facing the marble French chimney with two sofas at its side and the famous birds. The windows were large and already dressed. 'The place is fine for him, if he needs some time to calm down.'
His eyes followed Guntram's form as he set the tray with the two cups and the teacup with a “the good service is still packed, I'm sorry,” while he served the tea, knowing exactly that he didn't take sugar or milk with it, and he felt a pang of loneliness bit into his heart like a poisonous snake. Konrad took the cup and kept it in his hands while Guntram poured another cup for him 'with two sugar cubes and no milk' and sat on the other chair, facing him, not in the sofa next to him as it had been Konrad's hope.
“I have no words to excuse my behaviour, Guntram. All what this person told you is true. I went to bed with him on December after the party. I felt horrible for it and I still don't know what possessed me to do something so stupid. I hurt you and this is the last thing I want to do in my life.”
“At least you're not lying to me,” Guntram whispered, feeling the wound reopen.
“I swore never lie to you again, Maus. It was a horrible mistake. Please forgive me.”
“I can't trust you any more, Konrad and this is not working since the beginning. If you were with Marcello, it means you were not finding at home what you needed. We both are responsible for this but in different ways. I never liked your lifestyle and I accepted it because of you. Your world is not mine and I want to leave it. I don't want to see you ever again.”
“Guntram, you can't leave my sons! They love you more than me!”
“We both know you will take them away from me in a few weeks.” Guntram said dejectedly. “Three months after we split you asked me for my forgiveness and as I didn't grant it, you treated me worse than a dog. We will hate each other like in the past.”
“No, I can't hate you, Guntram. You're the only good thing in my life. You and the boys. I swear I will not do this ever again! Please Guntram, I know I can't ask this from you, but please forgive me. The boys will be devastated if you go away.”
“I'm staying here, Konrad. They can come any time they want. It's not easy for me either. It all depends on you,” Guntram answered and fixed his eyes on the carpet. “I'm flying on Friday to Paris to have a job interview with Sybille von Lippe.”
“Why?”
“I need to find a position to support myself Konrad. My artistic career is on hold for the time being after the London fiasco. I make money only from my illustrations and I was hoping to find something in that direction. She spoke about helping one of her managers, but it will involve that I travel to Latin America several times per month.”
“You don't need to work in that and you know it. I will always be by your side.”
“I want to be on my own, Konrad. I don't want to depend on you and I don't want to be your puppet any longer.”
“You were never my puppet! You can't run from one plane to the next! You can't leave the boys alone here! Guntram, Ostermann believes in your potential and all will be forgotten in a few weeks more. Make an exhibition with Volcker or in Paris. You have more offers than you can take.”
“I need a clear break from you.”
“I'll cover your expenses and medical care. It's the logical thing to do if the boys come here everyday. You should not be concerned about it. Please, leave lawyers out of this. They can only cause troubles among us. Let's discuss this on our own.” Konrad said almost pleading. “Forgive me and give me another chance. I'm trying to change my ways, but it's hard too.”
“A leopard doesn't change its spots, Konrad.”
“I don't care if you have to skin me alive to prove that I'm willing to change. I swear I will never do something so stupid ever again. I swore never lie to you again and here I am, telling you the truth.”
“Konrad, we can't live together.”
“Let the boys come here after school if you don't want to live at home. I'll pick them after work but don't renounce to your rights over them. Who will look after them if something happens to me? They want no one else but you, Guntram.”
“I love them more than my own life, but living with you will kill me in the end. I'm sure of that.”
Konrad inhaled deeply at hearing those words and looked at his Kitten in horror, but his mind told him that Guntram was right and bowed his head, defeated.
Guntram looked at him and the sorrow once more took him over when he saw the pain in Konrad's eyes. Once more he took refuge in the carpet's design and stared at the small flowers. He jumped when Konrad's hands placed themselves on his thighs and his lover knelt in front of him, burying his face on his lap to sob like an abandoned child.
“Konrad, don't cry please,” Guntram said slowly, caressing the head softly to calm him down. “You know this is for the best. We can not be together any longer.”
“I love you and if you go away, I can't carry on. I only want to be with you till my last breath,” he sobbed. “You are the only person who loved me for myself and I ruined it! Please, don't leave me. Let me be your friend at least! I need you like no one else before!” Konrad clutched Guntram to the point of hurting him, but the young man let him do it, knowing that he needed to release the tension and continued to pet the short hair, hearing his anguished cries.

* * *

“How long in?” Goran asked the two bodyguards, jumping to attention when they saw him.
“Forty three minutes, sir,” the older answered quickly.
“Good. Go home now. You're not needed any longer.”
Both men looked at each other in shock, but they knew better than disobeying Goran Pavicevic.
'If the Duke is for so long in there, then he has a chance to fix whatever he has broken this time. Last time, Guntram sent him to hell in less than twenty minutes.'

* * *

Guntram didn't know what else to do to calm down his lover and his resolution and fury against him were melting down with each cry. “Konrad, stop now. This is not good for you, my love,” he said the words, unable to keep them to himself. “Let's talk things over again,” he whispered when his lover ceased his cries. Like before Guntram offered his handkerchief and kept his hand over his shoulder while Konrad erased the tears from his face. “This is not good for you, my friend,” he repeated but the last words sounded lame to his ears.
“I love you, Guntram.”
“I love you too,” Guntram said and before he could add the “but” Konrad launched himself at him and kissed him with unbound passion, crushing him against the chair and firmly holding him by the waist to prevent any kind of escape.
Guntram let Konrad ravish his mouth, trying to keep the control over his own desires and need but the his tongue felt the salty taste of the dried tears and he lost his mind and returned the kisses in his attempt to sooth Konrad's pain. 'I can't hurt him, not even if I want to.'
They continued to kiss in silence for some minutes, only stopping briefly to grasp for air letting the anger dissolve. Guntram laced his arms around Konrad's neck and almost didn't realise when he was lifted in the powerful arms, too lost as he was in the kiss.
“Right or left?” he heard the deep voice rumble in his ear and he was lost for a second. “Bedroom?”
“To the left, no right. Right, yes that is,” Guntram mumbled before resuming his kisses, oblivious to the anything that wasn't Konrad's mouth. “Second door,” he added but he was already thrown to the large bed and his hands were tearing Konrad's jacket and fumbling with the light blue tie.
“Easy, Kitten. I want to turn sixty-four,” Konrad chuckled but didn't stop his hands from opening the buttons to kiss the adored chest, enjoying the automatic movement to bent the back that Guntram was always doing every time he kissed or sucked his nipples. 'No matter how many years we are together, he drives me as mad as the first time,' he thought and his tongue played with the pink buds while his hands pulled from the belt like an eager teenager, feeling Guntram's hands repeating the same actions. One of his last coherent thoughts was to move his lover more to the centre of the bed if they didn't want to fall to the floor.
* * *

They laid spent together as Guntram placed his head over his lover's chest and Konrad laced his arms around the small body to protect it from the cold draft. “We should go under the covers, Kitten,” he suggested.
“Don't get comfortable, Konrad. I'm hungry.”
“Do you want to go out?”
“No, I'm tired. You can have dinner here if you want,” Guntram said and gathered his clothes to get redressed, doing his best to ignore that Konrad was kneeling over the bed and kissing him on the neck in an attempt to convince him to return to bed and let him spend the night there. He sighed and ignored the pleasure he felt when Konrad kissed his nape and played with his earlobe. He sighed and disentangled from the bear hug and went to the bathroom to shower before getting his clothes on.
He closed the door and leaned against its white surface, tired and heartbroken. He realised that moment that he couldn't leave Konrad but he didn't want to give up the feeling of freedom he had felt today when he had been on his own in the train or walking back home or buying some groceries. He opened the shower stall and let the steaming water clean his body and take his tears away and muffle his sobs. He brushed his teeth and redressed again with his crumpled shirt and trousers. He combed his hair to calm himself down and stop his hands from shaking. He remembered to get another large ivory towel for Konrad in case he also wanted to shower and left it over the counter.
More relaxed, he opened the door and took his eyes away when he saw his lovers partly naked body, embarrassed. “I left a towel if you want to shower,” he said and escaped toward the kitchen.
'Whoever said that make up love sessions were the best way to solve a problem was an idiot. Now he's crazier than before,' Konrad thought and rose from the bed ready to take a shower and get dressed again. 'Obviously, I get dinner and then I'm thrown out in an hour or two. Has he truly forgiven me or is it one of his games? Roger loved to hurt me but he loves to drive me crazy. He kicks me and then he comforts me and he's truly sorry for what he did, and then he loathes himself for forgiving or loving me. I have to find out what's going through his head because the Marcello issue is just the top of the iceberg.'
Konrad huffed and took a look around the place. 'It's not what I expected. Very nice indeed and good taste. Well, his flat was very small but the furnitures were good and there was nothing cheap. He had everything in pristine conditions and even his tomato cans were in order. He's the kindest person I've ever met, but he's as neurotic as you can be. No matter how many times I've tried to reassure him, he will be always terrified of loneliness but seeking for it when he feels overwhelmed. He needs to feel part of something but at some point the pressure is too much for him and he burns down all his ships and escapes. I have to dismantle whatever his mind is making up now.'

* * *

The strong arms around his waist and the possessive kiss on his neck, made Guntram almost jump to the ceiling, but Konrad was quick enough as to secure his hold over him. 'He has the knife and hasn't used it. I'm on the right track,' he thought and shushed his lover with a mumbled “smells good.”
“Don't get many hopes. It's pasta and a cream with fresh basil sauce. Not much, I'm afraid,” Guntram answered and returned to slice the tomatoes and cucumbers.
“That's much more than I could do in a kitchen, Maus,” he answered carefully choosing the nickname to test the waters, but nothing happened. 'Good, he's not mad any longer, it's just his depressive-guilty phase. I might still win him back.' He kissed again Guntram's head and went to sit to the counter where two sets of dishes had been placed one in front of the other.
He carefully observed how Guntram kept his back to him, feigning to be deeply absorbed by the cooking. He strained the noodles and poured them into a pan to mix them with the sauce. He kept silent while Guntram left two side dishes on the counter and placed the salad bowl, doing his best to evade his gaze, almost running to hide behind the pan. 'One day you'll have to serve them, Guntram.' Konrad took the bottle of wine left over the counter and opened to let it breath before serving it.
“Jean Jacques recommended it, so it must be good,” Guntram whispered very embarrassed and terrified because he had served the dishes and had to sit in front of Konrad, and face a difficult conversation “or negotiation” with his consort. “He left a full list of what to shop and two of his books,” he added nervously.
“And a tupperware for me at home,” Konrad slightly complained.
“The price of being famous, Konrad.”
“Your house is not what I expected. It's very nicely done.”
“Elisabetta and Friederich's doing. I just paid the bills and trotted after them. Friederich has sent my Che Guevara's portrait to the frame workshop.”
Konrad laughed relieved that Guntram was willing to speak although afraid of it. “You didn't have one back in Buenos Aires.”
“I was going to buy one once I had saved enough money.” He cracked a smile and returned his attention to the pasta, playing with the fork. “I have only this as they're easy to eat for the boys”
“It's very good, Guntram,” Konrad said softly and left some room for his kitten, noticing that he was calming down and starting to eat. 'He can be a bundle of nerves and people speak about my short temper'. He slowed down his eating to let Guntram relax more and noticed that he only drank a few sips from his wine, favouring the water instead. 'How many pills did you take today that you're so careful with the wine?'
The man bided his time patiently and checked with the corner of his eye when Guntram was totally relaxed and distractedly looking by the window to the lights in the far away buildings.
“Guntram, please tell me what have I done wrong in the last months. We have been having troubles long before I screw it up with Marcello. My affair just made you explode but the heat was from before. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?”
“I can't live with you. I don't know if I can trust you again. Once trust is broken, you can't glue it back.'
“I'm being honest to you and I'm very ashamed of my deeds. I was a total cretin for doing this but you have to forgive me. Come back home, please.”
“I don't want to. Today I felt free in a long time. I don't want to be put back in your golden cage to be monitored by all your people. Freedom is an exhilarating feeling. I don't want to return to your world as it's driving me crazy. I was never part of it.”
“Guntram, I can not change who I am no matter how much I want it. I have many duties to fulfil and there is no one else available to replace me at the moment. I need you by my side.”
“I know and I feel horrible for letting you down, but it's your world or my life. I'm going to explode in the middle of one of your parties and send someone important to hell or punch a banker in the face.”
“I understand, Guntram. What can I do to make you feel better? Do you want to stay here on your own for a few weeks? The boys can spend the afternoon with you and I can take them home.”
“You said it yourself; you have many social duties to fulfil.”
“Fuck them if I lose you in the end,” Konrad said simply and Guntram stared at him, shocked that he had heard him swearing for the first time in their relationship. “I will clear my agenda in Zurich for two months and I can spend the evenings with you, if you take me in, of course.”
“Yes,” answered Guntram in a blink. “I mean, you can stay if you're ready to eat like this again.”
“I am,” Konrad said and fixed his blue eyes into Guntram's. “I love you too much to leave the Order to get in the middle of our relationship. I have many problems in the moment and I need you like never before. If my men are pressing you so much it is because we are facing a serious uprising from some Komturen. My man in Portugal was killed a few weeks ago. It's a war declaration.”
“What are Komturen?” Guntram asked puzzled.
“Commanders, they are the base of my power Guntram. You met one of them. Do you remember the man in Venice? The one in the café who said that you were worth several million? He is a Bosnian and controls the drugs and weapons trade in the area.”
“I had no idea.”
“You don't have to know the details, but some Colombian drug dealers want to break from us and work for the Americans. With his attack on my Komtur, they had declared war on me and I'm going to return the blow with everything I have. Goran will see to it, as the Komtur is one of his cousins.”
“Do you mean...?” Guntram asked horrified. “But you told me you have no interests in Latin America!”
“There are no Komturen in Latin American. We share the market with the Russians, Americans, Japanese and Chinese. When Colombians try to sell their products in here, they have to pay us for using our trade routes and process their winnings through us. It is respecting our rules or selling somewhere else. My own Komturen are already upset that I allowed some Russians traders to enter into our land and I can not let the Colombians run free too. We are already having a lot of pressure from this young gangsters bands that want to operate in our land. At one point, their violence will be excessive for our local politicians and we will have to wipe them out. Goran has a broad experience in that sense.”
“But you're voted every year, why do you say the power lies on them?”
“I am voted every year, and I am careful enough as to hear all the complaints I get from the associates and do my best to help them, but ultimate power lies on my military capabilities. I need the Komturen's resources to support myself and they need my connections to remain where they are. I have to be a strong leader if I want to keep that scum under control. They are not convinced of our ideals and we are just a vehicle for their greed for power and riches.”
“Why do you hate Masons so much, Konrad?”
“They are our real enemies. The spit on our own Church. They use our symbols and twist them for their satanic practices.”
“Konrad, they are no Satanists. Just some men with strange costumes and believing in Freedom and Reason and colluding exactly as our associates do.”
“They're Satanic the moment they believe they're above our Lord, Guntram. They want to destroy all our values of respect, obedience, self sacrifice and faith. These lawless times are the result of their work since many centuries. Where is the sense of community? Why everything has a price? They plot against us because there are too many humans. What they want is a nice society, small and easy to control. Read “Island” by Aldous Huxley and you will understand their Utopia. Humans are nothing but cattle and as such they should be kept “entertained” and drugged the whole day. Let people gratify themselves with small gains so they forget the truly important things in life. Make them work like robots so they can buy more. There are no families any longer; the old people to the depot and the children to the school or to the TV. We deal with masses now, not with people. Look how stunned people are that in the middle of the worst financial crisis in several centuries, no one complaints or nobody even wonder what happened. No one yells or shouts against the people who made them lose their homes or works.”
“Konrad, things were not better in the Middle Ages.”
“I'm not saying they were better, but you knew your place in this life and were much happier than now. You were part of your family, your town or your community. You had no desires and no one was bombarding you with things you didn't need at all. Life was hard but you had something to anchor yourself at the end. There was a collective mind whereas today individualism rules our actions. I only want people to realise how their lives and souls had been stolen for a flat TV. This system they had created will lead to our utter destruction as a society, Guntram when natural resources are over.”
“Why don't you ever tell me such things? I see you speaking with the other bastards and I feel very sick. You don't even believe what you tell them.”
“Do you see how much they have penetrated into our minds? If I were to tell that we have to sacrifice or love each other, I would be kicked out the next day. I have to say that we need to renounce to some of our winnings in order to keep the social tissue healthy in order to avoid uprisings. Most of the money in the Foundation goes to missions because we believe that education is the only way to change things. It's not that I want to turn them into Catholics. I just want that they learn some of our values and learn to be happy with the real things that matter; family, honour and duty.”
“Since you arrived to my life, you have shown me all those values in action and I could finally understand why the Lord allowed me to gain so much power in such a short time. I always considered you as a gift from him, Guntram, not only on a personal level but as a blessing to our Order. You give me a clarity and peace of mind like I never had before. You are one of my best councillors, Guntram.”
“I? Konrad, I don't even know what to do with my life!” Guntram protested.
“I don't believe you. You always know the right path. I don't need you to tell me what to do, I just need that you show me how to be fair and merciful to our brothers. I can make war against our enemies but I need your support to feel that God is on our side, Guntram.”
“Konrad, you never told me this before.”
“I thought you knew it.”
“I didn't.” Guntram said feeling very dizzy. “I never imagined.”
“You know I always say you live on another planet or come from another galaxy,” Konrad said and Guntram smiled nervously. “I would love to live there because this is how I envision Paradise.”
Guntram was speechless and his head spin around and he had to grip the table. “We should have spoken long time ago, Konrad.”
“It is not easy for me to talk, Maus,” he confessed embarrassed. “I'm afraid to say something stupid or corny in front of you.”
“Likewise.”
“Do you forgive me?”
“Yes, but next time you do something like this, I'll kick your ass.”
“Friederich already slapped me when I told him the truth. It was the most humiliating experience in my life.”
“Good for him,” Guntram mumbled but took Konrad's hand over the table. “There's an extra set of keys, take them, Konrad. You might need them.”
“Guntram, I'm concerned about these people coming so close to you. I fear they would use you against me.”
“I will speak with Nicholas and tell him to stop any legal actions against you, but you will not choose my friends Konrad. Trust my own judgement. I'm not a child!”
“No, you are too good and kind for your own sake. The brighter the colours the more poisonous the snake is, my love. If you are tired, take this time off to meditate and get better. I can live with it if I know you love me.”
“Remember those words when you eat tomorrow here. It's been more than seven years since I faced a wild chicken,” Guntram smiled. “Don't look at me like that. Goran has a good list of deliveries.”
“I was only thinking if I would get desert, nothing else.”
“The doctor told me only once per day in the moment, Konrad. I'm not that sporty any longer.”
Bitte? Oh, no. I wanted something sweet,” he said and blushed.
“Apple or strawberry yoghurt? We have the Merry Cow brand. Klaus' favourite,” Guntram said and Konrad grimaced with clear disgust written in his face.
“Not even ice cream?”
“Nothing.”
“Is there any cake delivery service?”
“I don't know. I should ask Goran. It's already10 p.m.”

* * *

Goran hung up the phone with a grin. If people wanted ice cream at such hour, it could only mean one thing; sugar cravings after sex. 'I should tell Guntram to keep a chocolates box hidden. They're handy. The Duke just saved himself from a huge scolding tomorrow for his own idiocy. Why would have that rat gone against my little brother? He could have obtained much more by blackmailing the Duke. I will go to the bottom of this. Those Masons are like wolves circling the lambs and there's not trap big enough to keep them away.'

* * *

It had taken all of his strength to keep his amiable and understanding façade in front of his child. Guntram had informed Michel that he had spoken with Lintorff and they had decided to live separate lives for some time till his boy would feel more comfortable in his entourage.
“Michel, I know it's a true bother to you, but I want to try it for my children's sake. Konrad is truly sorry about what he did and wants to mend his ways. If I cut all the communication lines, we both are going to loose everything and the boys suffer needlessly. I still love him.”
“Are you certain that this is what you want Guntram?”
“I have to try it once more. I will be staying in my flat and have the children and he will take them home in the night. It's the best arrangement we can reach in the moment.”
“You were very sure about your ideas yesterday, according to Nicholas.”
“I know and I still don't know if this is all right, but we have to try. You should have heard him. He is not the person most people believe he is.”
'No, Lintoff is just a sadist sociopath with mystical delusions,' he wanted to yell at his son but he bit his lips to prevent the words from escaping his mouth. 'Calm down, Jerôme, it's just a setback, you're in and that's all what matters now. It's a long game and it's far from over.' The lawyer sighed before he gave his reply. “Very well Guntram, do not think any longer about this. I'll tell Nicholas to stop everything but you should consider Madame von Lippe's offer. It's a very interesting project and you could be of great help to her.”
“Yes, I will fly to Paris on Friday.”
“Excellent, perhaps we can meet also, but I can't promise you anything. I have two big fusions on my hands and this is a living nightmare for all of us.”
“I would like very much to meet you personally, Michel.”
“I'll see what I can do,” the lawyer answered jovially. “Good bye,” he added and hung up before he would smash the receiver against his desk.
'The idiocy comes from the Guttenberg Sachsen's side! How can he believe a single word his own family's killer tells him? Guntram was a very bright kid. What happened in the middle? Two tearful stories and an act of contrition and he buys the whole mambo!'
'Again!'
Michel took two calming breaths and then two other more. He rose from his chair and served a glass of brandy to soothe his nerves. He had to stop everything or valuable resources would be wasted for nothing.
'At least I have the advantage of knowing the enemy's moves,' he comforted himself and took his mobile from his pocket. 'Anyway, he kept the Sectera and told me to call him there. Good, it's a beginning and a breach in the wall.'
The lawyer heard the phone ring only twice before it was answered. “Hello, Mr. Petrov. I'm afraid there has been a delay in our plans. We must abort.”
“What happened? I thought you had everything under control.”
“Guntram decided to return with Lintorff.”
“That's impossible! I saw him in Italy! He was almost jumping to the water. He was heartbroken!”
“Lintorff is more resourceful than you believe, Mr. Petrov. Like a cat, he always lands on his feet. You must fold back your forces. I'm sure Lintorff is looking for the source of the leakage.”
“I will have this problem solved by tonight, Mr. Lacroix. What do we do now?”
“We wait and see. This is just a honeymoon. I have free access to the boy now. Let me manoeuvre some more. Guntram needs a soft leading or he becomes stubborn like an old mule. This is the first rule when handling him.”

4 comments:

  1. thank you tionne.

    looks like glimpses of Into the Lion's Den is showing up in this chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might just be me but Guntram's father is selfish and heartless. Although, he keeps saying that he doesn't want to hurt his son, he ultimately will if he wants to destroy Konrad and The Order. I'm just mad since The Order believed that Guntram's father died so he had the perfect chance to disappear and live a normal life with Guntram. Nevertheless, he chose revenge and sacrificed Guntram as a result.

    P.S: The scene where Konrad was crying while kneeling in front of Guntram was just heartbreaking. Yeah.....I'm a total sucker.... -_-;

    Thank you again, Tionne!!

    Thuly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am sick and tired of Guntram's inability to stick to his guns. I feel like punching him in his face, Konrad's illtreatment of him now seems to be his own fault for been such a sucker.

    ReplyDelete