Tuesday 5 April 2011

The Tour

It took some time, but we were able to convince Konrad to show some parts of his house in Zurich. Unfortunately he refuses to show any pictures of the nursery. Guntram will have to work all his charms if we ever want to see them.


The main dinning room


The Ballroom where Konrad married and celebrated his 50th Anniversary

The Order's Council Meeting Room. Only used in Good Fridays

Meeting room


The Breakfast Room or Family's Dining Room


The Library where Konrad works and receives people


Another view of the Library


The Living Room... and the new rug.

Stefania's bedroom in the new part of the castle (XIX)



Konrad's private living room at the tower, next to his bedroom


Konrad and Guntram's bedroom. It's not dull; it's ascetic, Stefania.
Kitchen view
The cellar... and the bodyguards are always loafing there

Konrad would like to have an opinion from you, but please remember who he's and his short temper.

2 comments:

  1. :D Many thanks to the Duke for his gracious tour! hahah

    I actually got chills seeing the library though...so much happened there! But oddly you comment on the rug in the living room made me crack up ^^; haha Also, all the memories of the awkward dinners in the family dining room came flooding back to me! I just took my third european trip (our favorite butler would be proud! I managed to coerce my entire group to take a day trip to VIENNA! a land of magic, music, and cafes!) to Budapest and your story kept me company on the long flights :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Duke is certainly commited to follow one type of architecture with one type of interior design. There's quite a Medieval flare to most of the furniture and decoration, although I noticed that the family sections of the house tend to be more austere than those open to the guests.

    Would it be that this is an example of private life vs public facade, where the aescetic ways of the Order are there to constantly remind the family of the rules they must live by, while the more ostentatious rooms serve as a reminder to the guests of their host's power? ...Or maybe I'm just over analyzing thins. X_x

    The room that most impressed me was the main dining room. Talk about power demonstrations.

    The biggest surprise was Konrad and Guntram's bedroom. I guess I was expecting a more elaborate setup, though I loved the detail of the ceilings. And, I must confess, I felt a bit of a voyeur, seeing their room. (*^^*)

    Each photograph brought to mind countless scenes from the book. It's quite a funny feeling to see the kitchen, for example, and imagine Jean Jacques and Friedrich arguing over food expenses. Or picture Heindrik, Alexei, Ratko, or any other of the boys gossiping in the cellar. =)

    The pragmatist ama de casa in me can't help but wonder, though, on the amount of human resources that are needed to keep clean and tidy such an impressive house. Just imagining polishing all that wood gives me the shivers. And let's not even mention the electricity bill during the winter months!

    Finally, because it must be said:

    The living room...and the new rug XD *tears of laughter* Oh, dear, deep down I know it isn't funny, but I just can't help to crack up every time I read this line.

    ...Anyway, please excuse such an unbecoming bout of hilarity, your Excelency. And allow me to thank you for taking the time and the trouble to show us your house. *curtsey*


    PS I would be very much obliged if the Lord Consort manages to persuade the Duke to show us a glimpse of his children's nursery. ^_~

    ReplyDelete